• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's your worst cigar related injury?

jgohlke

My other hobby
standard.jpg

I cut the tip of my thumb off with a cigar cutter!

We are walking around in The Plaza (Kansas City)...it's a beautiful day, sunny, not too cold. We brought a few cigars with us, but don't have any matches so we take a quick trip through Diebel's Sportsman Club (nice walk-in humidor, friendly staff, reasonable prices). We don't buy anything, but I snag a pack of matches.

My wife and I step outside to clip and light our cigars. I clip mine and the cutter sticks closed, I've got my right thumb and middle finger in each end...I flex my hand open, the cutter snaps open and rebounds closed..my thumb comes out of the loop and snags the blade...I slice a nice big chunk right off! Blood is pouring out and down my hand. Wife says "What happened?"..I tell her "I sliced the end of my thumb off!"...at the same time, we both look in the trash can for the tip of my thumb!

I go back into Diebels and wash up in the restroom. They give me a rag and directions to the hospital. We walk to the hospital, but not until after we light our cigars!

The emergency room is slow, so they see me right away. They offer a $50 "urgent care" option. I opt for that. I get almost the full treatment for my $50. Here I am getting my temperature taken.
standard.jpg

40 minutes later I'm on my way! No stitches, just a big bandage.
standard.jpg

I've looked at my cutter a hundred times, and thought "man, that could take a finger right off." I guess now I know for sure that it could. Sorry to hear about your injury. I hope the rest of your stay in my fine city is an enjoyable one.

WAAAAY off topic but i love your shirt in the last pic.

sorry to hear your thumb suffered a cigar cutting tradgedy though

Have a speedy recovery! Doesn't smoking make you heal faster? That's the story I'd go with! :D

Thats too bad. I hope you get well soon. Oddly enough, your photo shoot makes it look like you were having such good time we should all try it. :laugh:

Damn Joe! You gave me the chills reading that.

I was drunk once, and burned the hell out of my ear trying to figure out if my torch lighter was empty.

Hurt for days. :laugh:

I have to resist. It's not nice to make jest of one's pain.

Doc.

I read a very informative post here once about various glues and the suggested uses. Too bad you don't know the guy who wrote that, you could have figured out which glue could have saved you the trip to the hospital ;)

Ugh. Sorry to hear about your accident, Joe. You know, if this happens again, you could clip the cap off of a cigar and apply it to the cut end of your digit. The vegetable glue will act to seal your wound and the tobacco juice (once mixed with your blood) makes a handy antiseptic.

Naaaaaaaahhhhhh. :sign: Just get well soon!

Wilkey

I can’t claim a greater physical injury however, I can claim long lasting psychological damage from a cigar. Tell me what you think…

It was the 1970s and I was enjoying my hour-long drive to work by smoking, what else, a cigar. It was a poorly constructed thing and was dropping ash as I drove.

Polyester was all the rage and I had put on a pair of maroon, polyester, double knit pants that morning and pulled into the parking lot at work feeling quit dapper. I saw the owner’s wife getting out of her car as I was parking mine and I quickly hopped out of my car to I could do some brown-nosing on the walk into the building with her.

As I stood-up and turned to face her I felt a breeze in a region where there should have been no breeze. She was looking at me and quickly turned, obviously stifling a laugh, and I looked down to find that the front of my pants had melted, exposing a dinner-plate size view of my cotton briefs where my fly had once been. (Thank God I had worn cotton briefs or my physical injuries might have been extreme!!) Obviously, a spark had fallen on my polyester pants, slightly igniting them, melting a hole over my crotch, of which I had been oblivious!

Needless to say the drive back and forth to home to change pants was a sobering one but I was never again able to look her in the eye without remembering my cigar induced exposure!

So, I wonder, whose injury was greater, yours which will heal, or mine, the emotional scars of which I bear some 30 years later!!

What do you think? LOL!!

(Sorry you cut off your thumb buddy... that's really pretty funny too!!)

This sounds like a big product liability issue. It could worth millions!! :laugh:

He uses his thumb all the time ;)

So, I wonder, whose injury was greater, yours which will heal, or mine, the emotional scars of which I bear some 30 years later!!

What do you think? LOL!!

I just had a mental picture of John trying to light his ear. :laugh:

Did you keep the ring from that one. The ear ring? :laugh:

I don't want to get off topic, but they gave an option for urgent care for only $50. ? I live in the wrong part of the US.

Gerard.

Damn Joe, thats a hell of a way to ruin a nice day! :laugh:

What hospital did you go to?

OUCH!

Glad you're OK. I've come close a time or two, but I've always been lucky. Was it one of those generic single blade sliders or was it some other kind of cutter?

Sorry to make fun at your expense Joe, but that last picture reminds me of this cartoon image from my childhood:

acmehitch.jpg

The funny thing is, under tort law, i believe you can sue the cutter makers for negligence if they did not put a warning label on the cutter.
...just think, free stogies for life!

j/k
:sign:

get better soon

OWCH!, I think I've been finger burned from smokin to the nub a few times, but nothing that required medical attention, I have always thought I could slice off a finger with my cutter in my pocket, I think maybe I'll rethink where i carry it. :blush: This makes a punch sound a whole lot better. nice medical attention for 50 bucks too! that would have cost you at least 3 or 4 hundred in Northern CA :sign:

The best part is that you still enjoyed your cigars on the way to the ER!

Feel better!