• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Where does everyone's name come from?

sir-smokes-a-lot

A Freudian Slip in progress
So, after blushing at the compliment takeapuff6 paid to me, something along the line of being a genius for coming up w/ my name :D , was wondering ...

Why is that your name?

Sir-smoke-a-lot was a character from a movie called "Half Baked". He was played by comedian Dave Chappell as a rapper who smoked too much ganja. Thought the name sounded cool, so changed -smoke- to -smokes- and that's that.

next ... ?

I have used gibu for a long time now. I played the pc game quake when it very first came out. One of the phrases in the game was gib. Used as in "Johny gibs Bobby with the rocket launcher." Its also what the little chuncks are called after a player is blown apart, gibs or gibletts. I wanted to come up with a player name and ended up going with gibu as in gib-you. It was very unique and different on the net and I liked that whenever I used it someplace new nobody else ever had it first (except eBay) plus it was nice and short, so it just sort of stuck. Sorry if thats a little too geeky there, but thats where it comes from.

I've explained this a few times before but for those of you who do not know,

I like Jaguar Motor Cars like it says in my profile. Their main assembly plant (which will actually close in a few months :( :( :( ) is called "Browns Lane" located in Coventry, England, UK. A slang term for a Jaguar is a "CoventryCat" I belong to the Jaguar Clubs of North America and our chapter is called the Jaguar Club of Southern New England which is mostly made up of people from Connecticut. The Massachusetts based chapter, the Jaguar Association of New England or JANE has a monthly club publication called The Coventry Cat which I thought was a pretty cool name (cooler than our club's bi-monthly publication which is called "The Spotted Cat"). When I signed up at the Yahoo site to play hearts on line, I used that as a screen name. Since "CoventryCat" was already taken, I had to add the "86" to my screen name. 86 is the year of my Jaguar XJ6 which you can see a picture of if you follow the link in my profile.

When I signed up here, I just used the same screen name I was using on Yahoo.

Most of you forget the "86" is at the end of my screen name anyway :D

Hey "CoSigI" :D I've seen that movie Half Baked a couple of times (never could get through the whole movie 'cause I thought it was too stupid :D ) and I don't remember that character ??? Not that it surprises me since as I mentioned, I didn't see the whole movie either time........

Well, after living in Japan for 9 years, I got used to the the Japanese bastardization of western names, ie Kent is Kento, sir-smokes-a-lotto, coventrycattoeightysixo. I was tired of remembering different variations of Kent on the various forums and logins so I went to Kento, which seems to be pretty uncommon outside of the islands.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That's a great story KentO :thumbs:

This thread was a great idea SSAL aka CoSigI :)

I hope Wade (wk-mang) checks in 'cause his story is a good one too ;)

I wonder how Matt R & JOE.M. decided on their screen names? :laugh:

Gibu - you think your name has a "geeky" origin....

A character in a book I read (don't even remember which one now) in the early 80s had the surname "Tremayne" and I liked the sound of the name. I started playing RPGs in 1981 and shortly afterward I adopted a modified spelling as my character's name. My primary character from then on had the name Treamayne until I stopped playing in 1998. I still use the name Treamayne in fiction I write as a standard for my leading character until I come up with the final name for the protagonist. Also, like many others, I had started using it on AO(hel)L and Yahoo in 95-96 and found that the name was never used on any site I logged in at, so I keep it as my handle everywhere I go.

-K-

Azon stands for Andersson in a shorter version. And Andersson is my Last name so i have used it for a long time. It startade out as a DJ name back when i pinn the decks on various party´s all over.

So thats my story.

Years ago I read The Lord of the Ring series. When trying to explain it to someone, I couldn't remember the wizard's name(Gandalf) and called him Geldor.

The name stuck with me and I used it for a lot of screen and character names.

I signed up on a site using the name Geldor with an e-mail address from a ISP that went out of business. I forgot my password and couldn't get them to send it to me as they would only send it to the e-mail address they had on file. DUH

So, I started using Geldor1 as I am the One and only Geldor. :cool:

browndevil: brown(mexican) devil (self explanatory)

my first screenname when AOL for DOS came out in the early 90s. :thumbs:

Mine is simple. I'm the Sergeant and I'm known to smoke cigars in my patrol car. One day one of my guys called me cigarsarge and the name stuck. :D

I picked my name so it would be easy for me to remember
and I wanted it short so I could type it in easy :D
wam is the initials of my wifes first name and my first name
the 79 is the year I graduated High School. wam 1 and wam 123 were taken on the first site I tried to enter my new name. So I tried wam79 and have been using it ever since :)

Bill

I never really thought about it, but I can say honestly that I have no idea. I've been using Wildcard since I was around 8, as many video games required a name. I don't remember what I first used it for or why, but it's not a name I tend to run across often on the net, so I use it for most everything.

...There is this mythical beast that roams the northwoods of Wisconsin (..no, that's a Hodag)... ???

OH - yeah!!! There is this big hairy guy wandering around the woods.... (no, that's big foot...) :(

Hmmmm... How did I come up with my name? That's a DAMN good question.....
???

I gotta think on this for a minute.... :whistling:

Oh, YEAH!!! It's my first initial and last name!!! Duuuuuhhhhh..... :D

Fast4Dr said:
I drive a Ford SHO....a fast four door...hence Fast4Dr
[snapback]158110[/snapback]​

He's lying, I've seen his car and the last time I was down for an LI Herf, I snapped this picture of it. This is his REAL "Fast4Dr"
00449269709.jpg

A 1976 Ford Granada

'76 being the year Fast was born :laugh:

coventrycat86 said:
Fast4Dr said:
I drive a Ford SHO....a fast four door...hence Fast4Dr
[snapback]158110[/snapback]​

He's lying, I've seen his car and the last time I was down for an LI Herf, I snapped this picture of it.
[snapback]158131[/snapback]​
It's a not an