• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Which Anti-virus and malware program to install?

Satchmo

Why do they call it a Power Ranger???
had Microsoft Live Care on wife's computer since she bought it. It has expired and am wondering what to put on the puter. I am open to free software, pay, whatever. I will go back to MS Live Care also if that is the best option. It just seemed cumbersome and a PITA.

I am familiar with McAfee, Norton, Symantec..... but name reconigtion does not mean better :)

I use Avast anti virus and Ad Aware for the other stuff. I don't know if they're the best, but Avast has been much better than AVG and I've never had any problems with malware.

Don't forget the firewall.

AVG on my PC along with Malwarebytes.

Nothing on the Mac.

I use NOD32 as my AV and Spy-Bot for malware.
If you have a router,it has a build in firewall which works pretty good.

AVG is good. I also run housecall.trendmicro.com from time to time, to get another software check n the system.

The Windows stuff has gotten great reviews of late, and it's free too!

Nothing on the Mac.

I actually forwarded this article to my brother to show his kids.

They both complained about the PC and wanted Mac's.
Well, they got them for Christmas.

I wanted them to see that there is still a risk with all computers!

Here's the article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20101228/tc_nf/76685

and here's a similar one:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20101228/tc_zd/258482

I have used both free versions of AVG and Avast. The difference was minimal. Good choices either way.

Depending on the 'puter, I run AVG, or Avira. Also, Spyware blaster (Java Cool), Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes and Zone Alarm

Think the link may be broken

AVG is good. I also run housecall.trendmicro.com from time to time, to get another software check n the system.

The Windows stuff has gotten great reviews of late, and it's free too!

Nothing on the Mac.

I actually forwarded this article to my brother to show his kids.

They both complained about the PC and wanted Mac's.
Well, they got them for Christmas.

I wanted them to see that there is still a risk with all computers!

Here's the article:
http://news.yahoo.co...228/tc_nf/76685

I used to run McAfee, Spybot S&D, Malware Bites, and Firefox as a browser. Kept Firefox and all the anti virus signatures up to date. Monitored everything running in the background. Thought I was basically bomb proof. Then, over the holidays, I'm very sure that Firefox let in the worst virus / trojan I've ever seen. Tried for three months to clean it up and it had gone through my system and "broken" many of the administrative tools. I believe this was an effort by the malware to prevent detection and eradication. After months of trying, I finally had enough.

When it was time to reformat, I decided to try the kool-aid and went 100% Micro$oft. I'm currently running W7-64, IE8, Windows Firewall, and Microsoft Security Essentials.

My system has never run better. I thought I could do better, but it doesn't seem to be true. Everything now plays very nicely with each other and as I said, my system is faster than it's ever been, and this upgrade is months old.

To your question, I think the new Microsoft Security Essentials are one of if not the best suite out there today. Read the on line reviews and make up your own mind. McAfee would be my second choice.

FWIW - B.B.S.

I'm just wondering about your avatar. Umm. Nothing wrong...but...dude. I'm thinking your anti-virus question is more relevant than you intended.

:sign: :

Trey

McAfee and Norton both failed me in a BIG way. I've been using NOD32 by Eset for a few years now and I'll keep renewing with them as I'm VERY happy with their program. Uses way less system resources, and has yet to let anything thru or miss anything (even after visiting those sites)

Like Tom said earlier, I have used many anti virus programs over the years, and up until my last two system builds swore by AVG + Spybot S&D.

With the last two builds I went with Microsoft Security Essentials. It seems to work and uses less system resources than a lot of the other options. I'm sticking with that (and Spybot S&D) for a while.

I will never use a McAfee or Norton product again. Too many bad or poor experiences.

If the MS solution is getting good reviews, I'd go with that. Avast or AVG next. I wouldn't use norton, symantic or McAfee unless I was forced to (Army likes to use Norton, for example).

I've recently switched everything to Ubuntu. Window had always been good to me, but with the kids playing/searching for online games and the wife's coupon hunting programs, the computer was getting bogged down with something. Plus the hardware is getting a little old, so it'll only run XP.

Good luck in your decision.

I run Avast and Adaware/spybot....Mcafee and Norton suck....

Avast is free and one of the best free or paid programs out there. I have used it for 2 years on my home built machine and not had a single problem.

What are wondering about? Don't tell me you want to see what happened in the previous scene :) Not many people know that Capt'n Kirk drove on both sides of the road.....

Thanks for the advice boys! My previous IT guy swore by NOD32. I will look into AVG and few others as well. I have used Spybot and been pleased with it. I will install something and dive into the cesspool of the internet to see how they work! Muchas gracias!

I'm just wondering about your avatar. Umm. Nothing wrong...but...dude. I'm thinking your anti-virus question is more relevant than you intended.

:sign: :

Trey

Try superantispyware :) I freaking love that program. Www.superantispyware.com I Norton anti virus. Norton used to suck a few years back, but now they are one of the best paid programs.