• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Which should I get?

Which would you buy?

• "V" cutter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .44 magnum punch

• Double-guillotine Xikar cutter

• Scissors cutter

• Total voters

SFG75

Master-passer
Heading to a good tobacconist in Lincoln today and I'm looking to replace my cheapie guillotine cutter that I received there a few months back. Just to let you know, I don't smoke torpedoes, so that isn't a concern. I'm just curious as to what all of you use and what you would recommend. I've done my homework on this, and have absorbed the opinions of various authors on this, just curious as to what you all prefer to use. Here's the top 4 for me. :)

I voted for the Xi but I'd get a Palio if available. This is the finest cutter I've used. The Xi is my second choice.

I just picked up a Palio and it's dynamite! :)

Xikars have a great reputation (and warranty!) but they sure seem to pinch after a little use... You can always send it in for free sharpening though. I'd go with the Xikar all aluminum body Xi model if a Palio wasn't an option!

I smoke alotta torps and V-cutters don't work particularly well with torps...I use my inexpensive v-cutter on occasion though.

I've used other BOTLs SAK scissors cutters and have been impressed with the precision, but they seem too bulky to carry for me.

And I've never tried a punch cutter.

So does this mean most here regularly use a double-blade cutter? I had this idea bullet cutters were popular. I myself use (for now) a cheap double blade cutter. It sucks, one end is usually ripped out when you open it for a cigar :(

Of your choices I'd get the Xikar. It's a good, solid cutter that is attractive and reliable. And... on those occasions when you're given a torp you have the right tool for the job.

However.... I own 3 Xikars and use them as my everyday cutter but I agree with Bruddahs Craig and Kirk... the Palio is the absolute sharpest, smoothest cutting double blade that I have ever used. I recently got one and I love it! Don't get me wrong... the Xikar and Davidoff are great cutters but the BEST double blade IMO is the Palio!

Another good choice for you may be the Swiss Army Knife (SAK) cutter.... extremely sharp and reliable and you have the blades and other attachments that are part of the knife. You never know when you'll be trapped in a warehouse or held hostage and your SAK may just save you ala Macgyver! (Am I showing my age by making references to MacGyver??? :p )

Aloha,

Wade

.44 Magnum punch cutter. I have five or six of them, one on every key chain.

They're cheap so if you lose them, it's not like you've lost an expensive cutter.

I prefer punching my cigars rather than cutting them.

I picked the Xikar but i've never used their guillotine cutter, i have their Scissors which work great, are sharp as hell and fold up into a small pyramid which i think is cool.

Thanks for the advice all, very interesting to hear everyone's preferences. Don't feel too bad Lemon, I used a cheapie single blade guillotine cutter for a long time. Like you, I had some problems with it as the blade became dull-gotta love that tobacco in the mouth feeling. It doesn't surprise me that CP members prefer the two-bladed version, it gives a much better cut from what I've read, if you know anything about cutting wood, same principle applies. I know that CI and other companies offer a $10.00 deal where you get a bunch of them, which would last someone a very long time. I've even read from one book how the author kept razor-blades in every suitcase and briefcase he owned. You could tell it was written before 9/11, the guy mentioned being stopped in the airport with the blades and even with the .44 magnum punch and was allowed to keep it. :0

Here's what I did folks. I went to one heck of a good tobacconist and talked with the sales guy about all the pros and cons of each. Having used the Xikar cutter a lot with a good relative of mine, I kind of already had it in my head that I would probably end up with it, but alas, I decided to try something else. Soooo,(drumroll please) I picked a Cuban crafters double-guillotine cutter, the more expensive version. This thing came highly recommended. If there were to be any problems for the rest of my life(relating to the cutter only) I could return it for a new one or receive my money back, so I figured that was a pretty good deal. I also ended up buying the .44 magnum punch. If CoventryCat recommends it, it has to be pretty good. But then again, given his political affiliation in the fine state of Connecticut, perhaps I should think twice. :p :sign: I could have spent the same amount for one item, but I wanted a good punch, as well as cutter for the occassional odd shaped cigar that I do get. Thanks for playing, I'm sure the Xikar company loves your business and high esteem. :)

I have the Palio and the Xikar (the Xi2? with the plastic grips). I like the Palio better, but its a very close second.

SFG75 said:
Soooo,(drumroll please) I picked a Cuban crafters double-guillotine cutter, the more expensive version. This thing came highly recommended. If there were to be any problems for the rest of my life(relating to the cutter only) I could return it for a new one or receive my money back, so I figured that was a pretty good deal.
I have one very similar to the one you bought, and it works very nicely. The only thing I can say is be careful with your fingers.

I found out the hard way that there are pinch points when the blades are closed all the way, ala complete cut, (and no, I dont mean the hole where the cigar goes!) :D Just make sure you keep your fingers clear, and you should be fine.

JV

A bit late with my choice as you have bought one already. :p I have most of the cutters mentioned here, the one I carry everyday is a SAK. Love the cut and is one less item I have to carry as it has a knife blade. :thumbs:

JohnnyBlazini said:
Anyone ever use a zino?
Zino's rock. I have one that I picked up about 5 years ago, and still sharp as the day I bought it.

I like the Zino double blade.... a good cut and sharp blades but not as precise as the Palio. The blades are "looser" as they have some play and aren't molded to be a snug cut like the Palio so on occasion I'll have some torn wrapper that is pinched rather than clipped.

If I had to rate my 3 double blades (Zino, Xikar & Palio) I'd rate them like this....
1) Palio
2) Xikar
3) Zino

Aloha,

Wade

Out of those, I would pick

1. Scissors cutter - they just ook cool
2. Double-guillotine Xikar cutter - a great cutter

I am trying to remember the name, but there is a good plastic one called Havana[?], have had one for months and works very well.