• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Whiskey or Whisky Recommendations for the Churchill Late Hour

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
I received two Winston Churchill Late Hour cigars for Christmas. Understanding that the cigar is matured in whisky barrels i get the feeling that this cigar would go great with whisky/ey. Has anyone paired it with any whiskies worth mentioning or have any recommendations on what would pair best?

I'm partially asking this question because i'm due to pick up a few bottles of whiskey and scotch at the local store and am looking for some direction in my purchases.
Thanks

My current fave reasonably priced bourbon is plain old Makers Mark. At a higher price point, Blanton's is very tough to beat. With a cube in the glass....bliss. JMHO, YMMV, etc...

I like those recommendations. Do you also have any scotch ideas? Any excuse to buy Blantons works for me if you don’t

Balvenie 12YO 'Doublewood' might go very well with that cigar.....

I got a couple of that very cigar from Israel in a 'new' Davidoff sampler he put together for me. I'm looking forward to trying the smoke, interested in what you have to say when you get around to it as well.

So I looked up our buddy over at Halfwheel to see what Mr. Spice Rack thought of the cigar. He surely didn't disappoint in his descriptors....

"The wrapper smells a bit like mud with leather, oak, and some dandelions. The foot is sweet with floral, bubble gum, a powdered milkshake-like chocolate, oak, and some white pepper. Two samples show that artificial chocolate milkshake on top of some soy sauce saltiness and a medium black pepper. One sample tastes like it was soaked in grape cough syrup, which was not particularly pleasant, though it didn’t show any signs of that flavor by smelling it.

While the flavor is a mild mixture of woodiness, sour oranges, and creaminess, on one sample there’s black pepper and cinnamon all around my lips. Eventually, all three cigars get to the same place: a full-flavored mixture with Ritz crackers, soy sauce, and an array of woods in the mouth. Through the nose, there’s a huge floral aroma and some acidic ketchup. I pick up lime on two samples towards the end. Flavor is full, body is full, and strength is medium-full. While construction is pretty impressive, one sample tunnels as soon as I knock off the more than inch of ash and requires a touch-up."

"The second third of the Davidoff Winston Churchill The Late Hour Robusto sees the complexity ramp up with the first signs of barrel notes, an increased floral presence, and touches of raspberries. It’s easy to dismiss the flavors as “woody with some sweetness,” but the layering of the sensations is really where it shines. It’s got an oaky and woody mixture underneath the somewhat raw floral flavors and then some Cap’n Crunch-like grainy sweetness. At the midway point I’m able to begin picking up a whiskey flavor, though it tastes more like a corn-heavy bourbon."

"
That liquid smoke flavor wanes as the final third gets going. It morphs into more of an elementary toastiness and is soon overshadowed by a growing peanut flavor. The floral flavors remain, but they’ve shifted into more of the floral flavors I pick up in Cuban cigars rather than just flowers themselves, albeit, without the vibrancy of the Cuban variety. The profile gets dry for the first half of the final third, reminding me of peanut shells, though that seems to depart below an inch. Instead, it’s a woody mixture with a homemade potato chip flavor and some black pepper, really the first time I’ve detected any pepper except for the weird sensation on my lips in one cigar."

Every time I read one of his reviews, I can't help but think how fortunate I am that every cigar I smoke, tastes like a cigar....and not an array of strange, unrelated flavors assaulting taste buds. :eek:

But one thing he mentioned did draw my attention....

"This cigar requires an unnatural slowing in smoking pace. It’s pleasant enough when smoking at a normal place, but to get the complexities, I find the cigar needs to sit for nearly two minutes in between puffs."

I do that with a good number of cigars I smoke. Maybe not 2 minutes between puffs, but slowing down the pace seems to bring out the best in many vitolas.

Last edited:
Since the review says it’s a corn heavy flavor, I’d imagine Jack Daniels single barrel or Gentleman Jack would compliment the cigar well.

I was really hoping that someone would recommend Johnnie Walker Double Black. I’ve never had it and am looking for a little nudge to get a bottle. However so many good options have been said, with exception of dandelions, bubble gum and milkshakes. Any other ideas?

Screw bourbon and scotch. Get thee to the liquor store and buy some rye. A man's whiskey. For about $50. you can get yourself a bottle of Jack Daniels single barrel rye. I suggest drinking it neat. You won't be disappointed and you will not have supported the Scottish Utopia with your tax dollars.

Doc

I am with doc on the rye!!!! But I have grown a fancy to Angels Envy also..

Lately I have been drinking a lot of Elijah Craig Small Batch Bourbon, it taste great and it's a good bang for your buck (about $28 a bottle around my way). You can also buy the single barrel version as well for about $65 and you won't regret it.

So I looked up our buddy over at Halfwheel to see what Mr. Spice Rack thought of the cigar. He surely didn't disappoint in his descriptors....

"The wrapper smells a bit like mud with leather, oak, and some dandelions. The foot is sweet with floral, bubble gum, a powdered milkshake-like chocolate, oak, and some white pepper. Two samples show that artificial chocolate milkshake on top of some soy sauce saltiness and a medium black pepper. One sample tastes like it was soaked in grape cough syrup, which was not particularly pleasant, though it didn’t show any signs of that flavor by smelling it.

While the flavor is a mild mixture of woodiness, sour oranges, and creaminess, on one sample there’s black pepper and cinnamon all around my lips. Eventually, all three cigars get to the same place: a full-flavored mixture with Ritz crackers, soy sauce, and an array of woods in the mouth. Through the nose, there’s a huge floral aroma and some acidic ketchup. I pick up lime on two samples towards the end. Flavor is full, body is full, and strength is medium-full. While construction is pretty impressive, one sample tunnels as soon as I knock off the more than inch of ash and requires a touch-up."

"The second third of the Davidoff Winston Churchill The Late Hour Robusto sees the complexity ramp up with the first signs of barrel notes, an increased floral presence, and touches of raspberries. It’s easy to dismiss the flavors as “woody with some sweetness,” but the layering of the sensations is really where it shines. It’s got an oaky and woody mixture underneath the somewhat raw floral flavors and then some Cap’n Crunch-like grainy sweetness. At the midway point I’m able to begin picking up a whiskey flavor, though it tastes more like a corn-heavy bourbon."

"
That liquid smoke flavor wanes as the final third gets going. It morphs into more of an elementary toastiness and is soon overshadowed by a growing peanut flavor. The floral flavors remain, but they’ve shifted into more of the floral flavors I pick up in Cuban cigars rather than just flowers themselves, albeit, without the vibrancy of the Cuban variety. The profile gets dry for the first half of the final third, reminding me of peanut shells, though that seems to depart below an inch. Instead, it’s a woody mixture with a homemade potato chip flavor and some black pepper, really the first time I’ve detected any pepper except for the weird sensation on my lips in one cigar."

Every time I read one of his reviews, I can't help but think how fortunate I am that every cigar I smoke, tastes like a cigar....and not an array of strange, unrelated flavors assaulting taste buds. :eek:

But thing he mentioned did draw my attention....

"This cigar requires an unnatural slowing in smoking pace. It’s pleasant enough when smoking at a normal place, but to get the complexities, I find the cigar needs to sit for nearly two minutes in between puffs."

I do that with a good number of cigars I smoke. Maybe not 2 minutes between puffs, but slowing down the pace seems to bring out the best in many vitolas.

Is this a real review? Jesus lord, how many flavors can he pick up from this darn cigar. Ritz Cracker with soy sauce and wood? That sounds like an amazing combination.

Screw bourbon and scotch. Get thee to the liquor store and buy some rye. A man's whiskey. For about $50. you can get yourself a bottle of Jack Daniels single barrel rye. I suggest drinking it neat. You won't be disappointed and you will not have supported the Scottish Utopia with your tax dollars.

Doc

I've been getting into the rye's as well. Good stuff!

Haha. Yours, no. That guy at half wheel, yes. If it happens to be you please accept my apologies. Your palate is amazing.

Edit Sp

No worries, just busting your balls a little....;-) My palate is reasonably fried but I keep after it....;-)

Ok, hold up. It seams like everyone here is all about the rye. So I have JD single barrel, Angels envy, templeton, and then honorable mention in the bourbon category includes Elijah craig Small or Single ,Jack Daniels Single or Gentleman, Makers Mark and Blantons. Then for scotch, we have Balvenie Double wood and finally Johnnie Walker Double Black- thank you Gregg77! This is a pretty nice looking list. Should get me through to the fall.