• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

white speckles on ash..

jagu

I started cigars about 3 months ago. My friend gave me 1995 Punch royal selection number 12 (no ring) and loved it.
Since then I had quite few cigars including Cohiba BHK 52, R y J short Churchil to Monte sublime..

Recently I purchased Partagas short vintage 2002 from very reputable cigar shop in London.
Cigar looked normal..
When I smoked the this cigar, it's ash had hundreds of tiny white speckles all over. Each sized about 1 mm.
Looked quite horrible. I never saw this before, but I'm not experienced enough to tell what that tiny white stuffs..

Is it a egg, mold? Does anyone know if its normal??

BTW The taste was not that great compared with other vintage cigars I had..

Definitely moldy eggs. Send them all to me and I'll get rid of them for you! :whistling:

For serious... Its most likely either tooth from the wrapper or essential oils in the leaves. Btw head over to the introduce yourself here forum and let us get to know you a bit!

Welcome to CP!

It's what the tooth on the wrapper looks like after it's burned. It good thing.

Doc.

Thank you so much for very swift reply.

And sorry for not introducing myself first. My bad.. :p

I stopped smoking cigarettes few months ago and very glad I switched to cigars!!
My everyday smoke is Cohiba Club and I enjoy prime cigars in the weekend. :)
My favorite cigar up to now was Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas .. and was cheapest cigar I bought!

Many thanks

Jagu

Thank you so much for very swift reply.

And sorry fot introducing myself first. My bad.. :p

I stopped smoking cigarettes few months ago and very glad I switched to cigars!!
My everyday smoke is Cohiba Club and I enjoy prime cigars in the weekend. :)
My favorite cigar up to now was Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas .. and was cheapest cigar I bought!

Many thanks

Jagu

Good taste, RASCC IS my fav smoke!

Im glad the white stuff on ash was a good thing!

Thanks guys!

I remember when I asked this question :)

Yes, it's a good thing. I thought they were little eggs when I first saw them.

I examined this fella that had white speckles on his crank , I called it niveus maculosus. Sounds scary don't it. I mean, would you want a maculosus growing on your crank? Say nothing about a niveus one.

Doc.

I examined this fella that had white speckles on his crank , I called it niveus maculosus. Sounds scary don't it. I mean, would you want a maculosus growing on your crank? Say nothing about a niveus one.

Doc.

:0

I remember reading that high potassium and magnesium levels in the soil will cause these bumps to appear.
I believe that to be correct as well as it can also cause "flaky" ash.

Oh, and ETA, it makes it very difficult to cure the leaves if any of the elements (N-P-K) are too high when harvested. Fertilizer applications stop completely around 30 days prior to harvest, and watering is dramatically reduced in an attempt to force the plant to consume as much of these elements as possible before harvest. The rest is eliminated during curing/fermenting.....that's the nasty amonia/silage smell. One of the mistakes I made with last years crop. :whistling:

I remember reading that high potassium and magnesium levels in the soil will cause these bumps to appear.
I believe that to be correct as well as it can also cause "flaky" ash.

Oh, and ETA, it makes it very difficult to cure the leaves if any of the elements (N-P-K) are too high when harvested. Fertilizer applications stop completely around 30 days prior to harvest, and watering is dramatically reduced in an attempt to force the plant to consume as much of these elements as possible before harvest. The rest is eliminated during curing/fermenting.....that's the nasty amonia/silage smell. One of the mistakes I made with last years crop. :whistling:

Useful information there, I'll have to remember that when my plants get to growing. I just have small stems and leaves at the moment though. I went to wal-mart and got one of the little greenhouse boxes to start them off. It still surprises me how small the seeds are, I had to use tweezers to plant them!

I just knew Doc was going to say that. Being in the Navy does give you a different perspective on things )so what your things and your crank)l and always wash you hands after using the john, head, etc.