• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Who wants to help complete a section of CP?

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
I need to put up instructions on building a coolidor. Who wants to come up with the instructions and illustrations (pictures) of designing a coolidor?

If anyone wants to help out, please pm me.

Thanks,
Rod

Why don't we "build it" as a thread discussion?

Everyone will add their knowledge and we'll edit it until completed?

Sounds good to me, great suggestion!

Great idea Bruddah Kirk!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: And a great idea to add this to the board Bruddah Rod!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Ok... I'll start.

1) You've outgrown your 25 count desktop humidor and need more storage space. Instead of purchasing another desktop you may as well give in to the all powerful force and opt for a "Cooler-dor". There is no sense in fighting it... give in to the force, head to Costco and purchase the 150 Qt Igloo as you will have it filled in 3 months time! Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

This is in jest but I know there are a bunch of you out there that this applies to.... it sure did for me! ROTFLMAO!

Aloha,

Wade

To get things rolling for Rod, I brainstormed some basic cooler-dor questions. Pick one and go for it!

1.) What is a coolidor/ coolerdor/ coolador?
2.) Advantages of building a coolidor vs. using a traditional humidor?
3.) Disadvantages of building a coolidor?
4.) Supplies needed to build a coolidor?
5.) Humidifying techniques of a coolidor?
6.) Spanish cedar lining vs. boxes?
7.) Shelving for a coolidor?
8.) Horizontal vs. Upright?
9.) Estimated cost of building a coolidor?
10.) Additional useful questions?
11.) Post pictures of your coolidor

I would sugg. large Cooleman cooler (on wheels?).
Add Climmax Beads and a digital hygrometer (IMHO, even tho climmax comes 'calibrated', it is nice to check on)

And don't forget the cigars! :thumbs:

And to have that nice wood smell, you might want to add the sheets from inside cigar boxes.

2.) Advantages of building a coolidor vs. using a traditional humidor?
Trad. humis look pretty, but for $$ and gen. volume, a cooler might be the better choice.

5.) Humidifying techniques of a coolidor?
Climax beads have always been great

6.) Spanish cedar lining vs. boxes?
I would think lining the side w/ cedar would impart a nice smell, but it you are getting boxes, might as wel leave the cigars in their boxes and put them in.

Seeing that I just completed my fan project here goes!

12VDC, DC BRUSHLESS FAN FROM RADIO SHACK, CAT # 273-243B {$17.99 Radio Shack}

A pack of butt connectors {$ 1.99 Radio Shack}

Universal AC adapter - Powerline, universal AC adapter 3-12volts dc/600 mA {$10.50 at Wal-Mart}

Intermatic DT121C Digital timer {2 on, 2 off setting} {$11.99 Home Depot}

Total time spent on assembly, installation and setting the timer :p 22 minutes!
Total cost $43.00

JOE.M. said:
Seeing that I just completed my fan project here goes!

12VDC, DC BRUSHLESS FAN FROM RADIO SHACK, CAT # 273-243B {$17.99 Radio Shack}

A pack of butt connectors {$ 1.99 Radio Shack}

Universal AC adapter - Powerline, universal AC adapter 3-12volts dc/600 mA {$10.50 at Wal-Mart}

Intermatic DT121C Digital timer {2 on, 2 off setting} {$11.99 Home Depot}

Total time spent on assembly, installation and setting the timer :p 22 minutes!
Total cost $43.00
Is the wiring run through the drain plug?

Got a picture?

MilesMingusMonk said:
Is the wiring run through the drain plug?

Got a picture?
Nope on both! The wire is so thin for the adapter that I just ran it along the bottom and out the door. Don't have any picks yet but will get a camera and post a few soon.

Personally, I'd like to see some pics of coolers horizontal with shelving. Seems like the best way to do it space wise :thumbs:

My big question has always been the plastic smell in those, and sealing them efficiently. I wound up weatherstripping my oversize tupperdor, and that worked REALLY well.

rknicker said:
My big question has always been the plastic smell in those, and sealing them efficiently. I wound up weatherstripping my oversize tupperdor, and that worked REALLY well.
best bet would be putting in a few of those cedar sheets from boxes.

Just bought my first cooler for conversion as I didn't have enought room in my bags to take the humi back to school.

Only prob I am having at the moment is lowering the humidity level. Right now it is above 75% w/ my climmax beads. So have to find a way to lower it.

Take a blow dryer and dry out the beads a bit... it's not rocket science Bruddah! LOL! Also, the boxes in your cooler may be retaining too much moisture.... the cedar boxes really can hold a lot of moisture... it's also part of why an Igloodor works so well. Not only do the Climmax media provide a constant level of RH... the cedar boxes help a lot in stabilizing the RH environment in the cooler.

So... if you oversaturated your beads they wouldn't have a way of absorbing the additional moisture. The solution.... dry the beads out some and the best way to do it is with a blow dryer or you could put it in a heated oven.

Wade

rknicker said:
weatherstripping that's a good idea.... :thumbs:

surferonthecrystalcoast said:
rknicker said:
weatherstripping that's a good idea.... :thumbs:
I not for air tight containment. My cooler tested at 20psi before it would leak air. So I leave the drain open and that lets a bit of air in. I also us the dc fan method. A small computer fan is all you need to keep the air stirred a few times a day.
The drain hole is where I put the wires through too!

For the botl that live in the desert... you might want to cut a hole in the side or top to mount a "heat-sink" and use a thermostat to regulate the temp inside the "dor". Not too cold! Just in the mid 60's would be great. Too cold can bring on condensation. If you do get condensation at the mid 60's you'll have to create a "drip pan" to catch it and drain it to the outside. You shouldn't have any trouble if you have "dry heat".

Keep 'em coming, I can't do this tutorial until we have more info, and some pics would be nice too...

I'll take some pics of mine and post them Rod.

I need to try Joe's method with the fan, etc. :D

Sounds good. If you can, remove all the cigars and take a picture of the inner workings of the beast. That way people can see exactly what we're talking about. I really do want to get that section of CP completed. It's only been 5 years that its been under construction... :thumbs:

cooler20001-vi.jpg

This is the finished product.

I'll empty it out and take some to illustrate how I did the shelf and whatnot.