• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Why do i buy opus?

jeht2000

bodybuilder for life
Don't know why i buy opus and i don't smoke them. Does anyone else have this problem? I had my 1st one back in 99' a robusto. ever since i've been hoarding them like theres no tomorrow and scared, i guess, to smoke them. i can count the number i've smoked.. 1 rob.,1 FF, 2 #5, and 1 x3. And just when i think i'm over my "problem" i stop into my local shop and pick up a #4

That is a damn shame. Life is to short, torch the good ones!

Don't know why i buy opus and i don't smoke them. Does anyone else have this problem? I had my 1st one back in 99' a robusto. ever since i've been hoarding them like theres no tomorrow and scared, i guess, to smoke them. i can count the number i've smoked.. 1 rob.,1 FF, 2 #5, and 1 x3. And just when i think i'm over my "problem" i stop into my local shop and pick up a #4

:laugh: Yeah I have the same problem!!! I've smoked maybe 5 or 6 Opus ever and yet I still have a bunch left and I keep buying more. The worst part about it....I've had two that tasted and burned horribly ??? . Probably because I didn't wait to get them down to the proper humidity.

I used to do this as well when I first got into cigars. Bought as many as I could find, some MSRP, some way above. Normally did not smoke them, but would hide them way in the back of the humi. But now, I find myself reaching for an an Opus much more frequently.

oh hell no... no prblem here! Almost needing to buy another box of xXx... this one is down to the last 4!

if you don't want them, I'll send my addy to you! :cool:

A manufacture's dream come true!! Buy up all of their product, as fast as it's produced, because you might not see them for quite some time. Don't use the product, for the very same reasoning, as they might not get your way, again!! Better buy another 120 cooler, as the 2-3 you have are full of great cigars that you won't smoke because they might never make it back in the stock of your local B&M.

The scary part of all of the above, is that I can see "the logic" of it all!

Sounds like it could be somebody's masters thesis: "The DeBeer and Fuente Families, Limiting Supplies, Increasing Profits."

BTW, if one of you students decides to use this, please send your aged Opus' my way, and I'm not at all picky about sizes!! :whistling:

I have not fallen under the Opus spell. Frankly, I just don't find them to be any better than the regular line of Fuente cigars, those with the green strip on the band. I like the regular line. But I can't justify paying 2-3 times more for a cigar that just doesn't taste 2-3 times better.

If you guys enjoy them that much, have at it! :thumbs:

You guys can have my share. :D

Funny you bring this up - I have (had) the same problem - I have all these nice smokes, then I pick a so so stick "because the occasion is not special enough" - I am turning over a new leaf - started last night - got together with the guys for MNF. I would normally grab a $ 5.00 smoke and be very happy. Not any more - going for the premo smokes from now on. Last night I had a OPUS robusto - very tasty - Join me in changing our ways - Every day/smoke is special - grab the good ones.

Light 'em up! You wait too long, and it'll end up being your kids or someone else doing the smoking instead! With the exception of stuff like Acids and CAO flavoreds, cigars were all made to be smoked. A great cigar just makes a good experience something sublime.

...OpusX spell..?? That's nothing...wait until you catch the Anejo habit...!! I can buy Opies three or four times a year from my local B&M (albeit in limited quantities) but for Anejo's I have to depend on the generosity of strangers...like you guys...!!... :laugh:

Best Regards - B.B.S.

Cigars is meant for smokin!!!

I don't buy a cigar unless I have plans to torch it, ain't nothing that sacred IMO :)

I don't really have this problem. At first I thought I had enough to not buy them anymore. At the time I had about 20. This was 8 years ago. What a total mistake. Now I have a few 8 year old Opus and bunches of 2 year old opus. I am just waiting for my Opus to get older so I can enjoy them. I find them to be much better with 5 years on them. So, I buy some each time they show up at my local and then just wait. And wait. Then I wait some more. I know it is going to pay off in the end.

Same thing with my Opus, PAMs, Davidoff, ESPECIALLY if I have more than one of a certain vitola...I smoked an Opus Belicoso last week, but I can't bring myself to torch one of my four Fuente Fuentes...they just look so pretty all lined up. :love:

On a related note, how many people smoke their "Toast" coffin Opus/Diamond Crowns? I Didn't have the opportunity to go to the Toast this year but still bought a ticket and got the cigars, do people at the Toast usually smoke one of their cigars there?

A manufacture's dream come true!! Buy up all of their product, as fast as it's produced, because you might not see them for quite some time. Don't use the product, for the very same reasoning, as they might not get your way, again!! Better buy another 120 cooler, as the 2-3 you have are full of great cigars that you won't smoke because they might never make it back in the stock of your local B&M.

The interesting thing is that Opus are actually a loss-leader for Fuente. Not that they are sold at a substantial discount (though keep in mind that Fuente does not profit from any "gouging" that may occur along the way), but rather that Fuente doesn't make money on 'em considering the expense and effort that goes into making them. Rather the product works to bolster the brand image and sales of their other cigars.

I never would have believed it either, but when all is said and done, apparently that's the case. I'm sure at some point in the future this will change as the initial investment is paid off, and the Opus X cigar has already brought in far more revenue through peripheral sales than anyone could dream of.

I don't quite follow Moki, can you explain a bit more? I know the Opus X is grown in a very small area of land but what, given the opportunity cost of using that land for [premium cigars is low, makes the process of producing an Opus more expensive than other cigars in the Fuente line?

I have a hard time torching them up too, If i can get my grubby hands on some this holiday release then i'll smoke what i have in stock.