• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Why do we have to age Cohibas?

Charley

The Coolest Guy You Know
Ok, here's a newbie question for the OGs out there. I have read numerous threads regarding Cohibas and the fact that they need to be allowed to sit for 2 or 3 years before they are ripe enough to smoke. Now I don't see to much mention of other brands of Cuban cigars that need to be allowed to age for such a prolonged period before you should smoke them nor do I see such comments made about non Cubans such as Padrons or AF for example. I understand that brands such as Padron improve significantly if they are aged but they do not seem to require it as is mentioned constantly about Cohibas. Is it that other brands age their cigars (or tobacco) prior to making them available where as Cohiba does not, or is it something else? My girlfriend brought me back a few Siglo VI's from Peru but as much as I want to try them (never had the pleasure of a Cohiba), I'm afraid the experience would be a let down if I don't allow them to "simmer" for a couple of years (oh say it isn't so ).

You sure those Peruvian cohibas are real?

You might want to post a picture of the cigars to have the experts here look at them.

Also use search and look up "sick period" that should answer all your questions regarding letting cuban cigars age.

*edit* And welcome to CP, please fill out your profile and say hello in the introduction forum. :)

chrls67 said:
My girlfriend brought me back a few Siglo VI's from Peru
[snapback]271951[/snapback]​

Ouch.

The most recent franchise list shows no la Casa del Habanos (licensed, franchised dealers of Havana cigars) in Peru. Guatemala, Paraguay, Panama and Brazil yes. Peru, no. Even with further details, I'd say the chances are not too good that you are holding authentic Cohibas.

Please post pictures if you can. Email them to me if you don't have a hosting service.

Have you checked out these threads?

Fauxhibas Coming Soon

Cohibas, Fake or Real?

Fauxhiba Autopsy

Wilkey

chrls67 said:
Ok, here's a newbie question for the OGs out there. I have read numerous threads regarding Cohibas and the fact that they need to be allowed to sit for 2 or 3 years before they are ripe enough to smoke. Now I don't see to much mention of other brands of Cuban cigars that need to be allowed to age for such a prolonged period before you should smoke them nor do I see such comments made about non Cubans such as Padrons or AF for example. I understand that brands such as Padron improve significantly if they are aged but they do not seem to require it as is mentioned constantly about Cohibas. Is it that other brands age their cigars (or tobacco) prior to making them available where as Cohiba does not, or is it something else? My girlfriend brought me back a few Siglo VI's from Peru but as much as I want to try them (never had the pleasure of a Cohiba), I'm afraid the experience would be a let down if I don't allow them to "simmer" for a couple of years (oh say it isn't so ).
[snapback]271951[/snapback]​

I won't give you a scientific explanation about the Cohibas, because I just don't have the experience with them. I will say, however, that, to me, they are much better aged. I don't like them fresh. Others will say different. It is about palate.

As for other cigars...if it is a Habanos, I age it. I have been finding lately that there is a dramatic difference in aged and un-aged Habanos. The Cubans do not age their cigars nor their tobacco (except for Reserva lines and special releases). The cigars come to the market fresh. If you buy a box from say August '05, it is really from August '05. It is very fresh. The tobacco is not aged and the cigars have not aged and married. Might the cigars still taste good, of course. Depends on the brand and vitola. However, they will taste much better with age.

NCs are a bit different. Most of the better manufacturers are using aged tobacco and the cigars age for anywhere from 60 to 120 days before being released. Some longer...much longer. For the most part (at least in my opinion), NCs are much more ready to smoke "off the shelf." Does age improve them, absolutely.

Now, my advice with the Sig VIs...smoke one right now. No, I mean right now. Sit down, light it up, and see what you think. Save the others for a while. In six months, smoke another...see if you detect a difference. Save the others and note the changes. That way, you make up your own mind about aging. You also decide if you like them fresh or with some age. There are definite preferences out there.

Hope this helps.

Hopefully you lucked out and got real Siglo VI. If so they may be the best young Cohibas so smoke away.

Thanks Cigardawg, that was a pretty informative reply. I'll have to take your advice and try one of them now. The other reply have me worried that maybe these are not originals. They came in boxes of three (she brought me 2 boxes) and the cigars are in tubes with cedar sleeves. I'll take some pics of them tomorrow and try to post them. If I can't get them posted I'll e-mail them Ginseng if he doesn't mind and you guys can give me your evaluation.

chrls67 said:
They came in boxes of three (she brought me 2 boxes) and the cigars are in tubes with cedar sleeves.
[snapback]272211[/snapback]​

Whoa,

Sounds like the Sig VI Tubos 3-packs. How about sending me the sticks to personally inspect...via combustion? ;)

I received the photos from Charley yesterday and they do, in fact, appear to be Cohiba Siglo VI Tubos. Although I did not get photos of the cardboard overpack, the three-pack is standard packaging for the tubos.

The photos are of decent resolution and as far as I can tell, the sticks and aluminum tubes look pristine. Of course, it is impossible to make a positive determination as to authenticity, but if these are fakes then they are really good ones.

CharleySigVI01.jpg

CharleySigVI11.jpg

CharleySigVI06.jpg

We've taken it as far as we can. The next step is up to Charley. So Charley, how about smoking one up and letting us know how it is?

Wilkey

No sense in saving six cigars. Smoke them and see if you like them. If so, then buy a couple of boxes and age them, smoking one or two every once in a while. Cohibas are no different than any other Havana, as far as aging goes. It's all in what you like to smoke.

NICE!!!

One of these days, I'm gonna climb that mountain!!!

I dont know if I would have the patients to let them age.

Cohibas need a good 3-5 years plus for them to develop into the classics that they are. The thinner ring gauged ones can be smoked after 3 years, but the thicker ones need a good 5 plus.

This rule of thumb can be used on almost all Cuban cigars. The longer you age them, the better they will taste.

The Master said:
This rule of thumb can be used on almost all Cuban cigars. The longer you age them, the better they will taste.
[snapback]273440[/snapback]​

Key word.. almost. I have found a lot of stuff that was better when it was new. Especially Bolivars from after '96....

Matt R said:
The Master said:
[snapback]273440[/snapback]​

Key word.. almost. I have found a lot of stuff that was better when it was new. Especially Bolivars from after '96....
[snapback]273458[/snapback]​

Surprised to hear that. Behind Partagas, I probably smoke more Bolivars than any other Habanos. I have tried un-aged Bolivars...I think they are, for the most part, way too tannic and green. Of course, I have smoked only post-96 Bolis,so I cannot compare. However, I compare my 97s, 98s, and even 01s to 03s, 04s, and 05s and there is a marked improvement. Just my humble opinion, but they are much better with a few years on them.

That's why they make so many different blends and pretty bands. Something for everyone's tastes. :)

Zeebra said:
Those Tubos look hot. I can stare at them all day.
[snapback]273528[/snapback]​

I agree. I've got wood just thinking about putting away a half-dozen or ten of these 3-packs for some nappy time. Now if they can actually get the tube shortage straightened out I can make my dream come true. :p

Matt R said:
No sense in saving six cigars. Smoke them and see if you like them. If so, then buy a couple of boxes and age them, smoking one or two every once in a while. Cohibas are no different than any other Havana, as far as aging goes. It's all in what you like to smoke.
[snapback]273324[/snapback]​

That would be my philosophy as well.

In my opinion Bolivars keep getting better the longer you age them. I have a couple of boxes of 1993 Boli Lonsdales and they have gotten better year after year. I also have a lot of 97 and 98 Bolivars that keep getting better the longer I age them.

Peoples tastes are so different, which is why you should smoke what you like,when you want.

Ok...I smoked one of these last night and while I'm not much for evaluating cigars (from an experience standpoint) I can say that it was very good. One of the smoothest cigars I've smoked. it had a somewhat leathery and cedar taste, I did not sense any cocoa flavor (like chocolate) but more of a rich coffee flavor (now I'm not much of a coffee drinker so I could be a little off here). But it was as smooth as any PAM I've had. The only other cuban I've smoked has been a Monte #2 and this one was much better IMHO. I think I'll take evryones advice and smoke through the rest of them from time to time. I'd like to buy a box to age for a couple of years but I just can't seem to hit the lottery. Thanks again to Ginseng for posting the pics for me and giving me his opinion and thanks to everyone that offerd up some advice.

Back