• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Winston Churchill – No. 10 – by Davidoff

Cards&Gars

"Kellito"
Review: Winston Churchill – No. 10 – by Davidoff
-----
Company Hype: "Davidoff pays homage to the world's best- known cigar smoker, Winston Churchill, by creating a new line of cigars. Davidoff created four sizes, each named for a significant place and chapter which affected and formed Mr. Churchill's remarkable life. Davidoff blended the Winston Churchill to be a rich, full-bodied smoke. The binder is a Dominican Yamasa, while 5 tobaccos are blended to create the filler. The dark, Ecuadorian Sun Grown wrapper provides the perfect amount of strength and complexity a connoisseur looks for."
-----
wcno10li7.jpg

Location & Weather of ceegar sacrifice: Virginia Beach, VA - rocking chair, front porch of mi casa. Temperature was 68 degrees, with sustained winds at 15 mph.

Appearance: Robusto (50/ 5 ¼”) I pulled this stick right out of my humi and noticed a slight oily sheen on the Ecuadorian Sun Grown wrapper, but was more to the dry side.

Construction: The cigar was nicely rolled without any hard or spongy spots. The cap was lifted slightly at a few points around the circumference (as if it was not glued down all the way in some spots – a minor flaw.) After clipping and lighting, it started with a nice draw which was consistent throughout the smoke.

Lighting and Burning: After clipping the head I tested the draw which was seemed a little loose. I initially warmed and then burned the foot evenly before taking my first draw. The cigar quickly settled in to a nice even burn with a grey to white ash. (Which it kept for the first two inches – not bad considering the wind.) The smoke? I couldn’t tell you. It was not only windy, but dark. – If only I had a smoking den! After the ash dropped it burned a little unevenly, but quickly corrected itself. As the ash neared the first band, I removed them both with a little twist. At about 3 ½” it started to burn a little unevenly, but again corrected itself with out any help from me and continued to burn nicely until the last inch.
Note: Towards the last inch of the burn the wrapper developed micro tears on the surface. (Not sure why…humidity maybe?)

Taste: Medium-full to Full flavored. The first inch was woody with undertones of earth and leather. It was neither spicy, nor sweet, but had a nice nutty allusion. After the first inch, the flavors increased in intensity and there were no traces of harshness or bitterness. At three inches, I was able to detect a slight hint of cedar and the leather undertones increased in prominence. These flavors seemed to settle down a bit and blended nicely. I would like to say that I completely “nubbed it,” but the last inch grew stronger than I like, so I tossed it.

Comments: Overall it was a very good smoke. Is it worth the $15 I paid for it? Maybe. I might have enjoyed it more if I was inside. I was drinking Zaya rum while I smoked, but think I might have done better with a nice scotch or cognac. I do think this cigar will really improve with some age and I plan on buying a few of the corona size of the line called “Chequers” to stow away in my humi for next year.

C&G… my first real review.

Nicely done, Kelly. I've been wondering about this release from Davidoff but the high price has put me off. I suppose I'll give the size closest to an actual churchill a try someday. But at $22 a pop, they won't be in the regular rotation.

Wilkey

I smoked the Chequers recently. This is definitely one of the strongest cigars made, and no doubt probably the strongest regular production Davidoff cigar around. I tasted the same notes as Kelly, typical Kelner profile with an overtone of earth, very complex, very similar to the LG Diez lines. The price point is the main deterrant for me, but then again, the flavor of this cigar isn't something that I can enjoy on a regular basis regardless to cost. I would say this cigar has JdN Antano beat in comparison of nicotine strength.

Then again, I had this cigar on an empty stomach at 11am before going to Schlesinger's so your mileage may vary.

I smoked the Chequers recently. This is definitely one of the strongest cigars made, and no doubt probably the strongest regular production Davidoff cigar around. .... I would say this cigar has JdN Antano beat in comparison of nicotine strength.

Then again, I had this cigar on an empty stomach at 11am before going to Schlesinger's so your mileage may vary.

Dave, was the Chequers really that strong? I thought the nicotine strength in the No. 10 was not bad at all. ...As a comparison, the LFD Chisel I had this weeking knocked me on me arse - and that was on full stomach. Well, I guess I will have to do a comparison, but you are right on the price points, Wilkey. The cigar is good, but I still question if it is THAT good.

Cheers.

- C&G

Thanks for sharing your review on this cigar. I will have to try it as I do enjoy the Davidoff marque. They do make some of the most beautiful rolled cigars out there. My take on most of them are that they are of the mild variety and this one sounds like they are breaking from that mold.

Smoked a Chequers this afternoon.

Beautiful looking, but far too strong. Stronger, I think, than ERH Habano CLubs were back in the 90s.

I might buy another to see what they're like in five or ten years, but I don't think I'll be smoking another one any time soon.

I had the Chequers this weekend. Spot on with the review..and it is a much different Davi then the norm....nice to see.

I'd probably buy them and hold off smoking them for some time. I feel the ciger needs to marry.
Other Davidoffs(except the Puro) are usually great right in the store..these seem to need time.

Beautiful looking, but far too strong. Stronger, I think, than ERH Habano CLubs were back in the 90s.

I might buy another to see what they're like in five or ten years, but I don't think I'll be smoking another one any time soon.
Stronger even than the 90's NC Saint Luis Rey?

Wilkey

Stronger even than the 90's NC Saint Luis Rey?

Wilkey

I may just be getting older and wussified, but to my recollection, yes.

Clearly they're using very high quality tobacco in these, as there is some smoothness to them, but they're not well balanced. They might mellow into something enjoyable in the future though...

edited to add:

Nice first review C&G! :)

I smoked one of these today. They definitely are different than most Davidoffs, but you do get that familiar Davidoff taste at times throughout. The Winston that I had was a #10, didn't find it terribly strong, but stronger than most Davidoffs.

Nice review...

Smoked the No. 10 last night. Enjoy it. Medium Bodied to full, very Davidoff.

Very nice first review Kelly. I'm going to have to give one of these a try to see if it's something I want to invest in with that high price tag. If it's stronger than the JDN, it will most likely not be stocked in my humi.