• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

WOW! I Suck at that

nobius

Cuban Reject
I have shot two rounds: one on a 10 hole Par 3, one on a full 18 hole Country Club course.

Yeah, not doing so good here:

Par 3: 58 (+28)
Country Club: 147 (+74)

I really hope I get better.

Take a lesson. It's not as easy a sport as some people think.

Brian

I never viewed it as an "easy" sport. But I really had no idea everything that goes into a swing.

And I wish I could afford lessons. I will have to do it the old-fashioned way. Stay on the driving ranges and the Par 3's in this area until someone takes pity on me and gives me pointers :p

If you can't afford lessons I'd suggest picking up a copy of Golf for Dummies. You can get it at any Borders book store or the such.

Brian

The very most important thing you need to learn in golf is a proper grip, that will help you on your way to enjoying a great game. Good luck learning, and keep your first scorecards, hopefully, you can look back in a couple of years and wonder how you ever shot scores that high.

I used to play in college but I gave it up when I got tired of shooting 65's.

on par-3s.

Wilkey

I gave my clubs away a number of years ago when I realized that I wasn't willing to put in all the time and money necessary to get to the point where I wouldn't hate playing the game. It's unhealthy and foolish to hate your hobbies.

I'm much happier with a weekly skateboard session anyway. I can still drink just as much beer and save the cigar for the end of the session.

Here I am enjoying a post-session cigar in the parking garage where we meet. The bar we stop at for a seventh-inning stretch had a promotion by Camel going on that night where everyone got a free fedora and three packs of cigarettes, thus the peculiar hat.

07-06-08_0141.jpg

I started golfing a few years ago and am officially addicted. If I could, I would golf every day, but alas, I can only make it a few times a week. I think the only way to really get better is to play regularly, but I have a subscription to both Golf Digest and Golf Magazine, which have both helped me a lot. I've never taken a lesson, but I probably should before I get my bad habits too ingrained.

I also suck at golf

But every round, there is that "one shot" that makes it all worth while...

Tim

I also suck at golf

That makes it bearable enough to at least get off the couch and go outside and remind me why I play this stupid game and why I will come back another day and try again.

I have shot two rounds: one on a 10 hole Par 3, one on a full 18 hole Country Club course.

Yeah, not doing so good here:

Par 3: 58 (+28)
Country Club: 147 (+74)

I really hope I get better.

Sandbagger! :laugh:

I also suck at golf

Tim

Amen.

In addition to the advice given above about learning a proper grip (VERY important), I have another small piece of advice to offer. Practice, of course, is key. What you practice is also key. Most folks go to the driving range and blast their driver all day. A great drive is super - but short game, IMHO, is way more important. Practice your 8 iron until you wear the grip off it. The reason is this; if you duff a drive, you can recover with a good fairway shot and still make it on the dance floor in regulation. If you duff a shot inside 100 yards, you've lost a stroke. Furthermore, it's rare that you see folks practice putting, which is odd because half your score ends up coming from strokes on the green. Granted, sinking a putt isn't as gratifying as smacking one down the middle 250 yards, but if you want to lower your score - practice the parts of your game that rack up the most strokes - and that's typically everything inside 100 yards.

Try crack. Its cheaper and less addictive.

I started off with that....had to give it up. Couldn't stand the company of fellow crack-heads.....

I also suck at golf

Tim

Amen.

In addition to the advice given above about learning a proper grip (VERY important), I have another small piece of advice to offer. Practice, of course, is key. What you practice is also key. Most folks go to the driving range and blast their driver all day. A great drive is super - but short game, IMHO, is way more important. Practice your 8 iron until you wear the grip off it. The reason is this; if you duff a drive, you can recover with a good fairway shot and still make it on the dance floor in regulation. If you duff a shot inside 100 yards, you've lost a stroke. Furthermore, it's rare that you see folks practice putting, which is odd because half your score ends up coming from strokes on the green. Granted, sinking a putt isn't as gratifying as smacking one down the middle 250 yards, but if you want to lower your score - practice the parts of your game that rack up the most strokes - and that's typically everything inside 100 yards.

Right now the only thing worse than my game inside 100 yards, is the game getting me inside 100 yards. But I am enjoying myself, and really am quite consistent, I was at around double par on both courses. :blush:

QUOTE (NullSmurf @ Sep 1 2008, 12:52 PM)
Try crack. Its cheaper and less addictive.

I started off with that....had to give it up. Couldn't stand the company of fellow crack-heads.....

Crack-heads and dope fiends are the only company I keep :D

Brian

The very most important thing you need to learn in golf is a proper grip, that will help you on your way to enjoying a great game.

I disagree. The most important thing in golf is finding a cooler that will hang from your pull cart and also fit in a riding cart. The second most important thing is having a cigar clip. The grip is third, followed by a retriever to pluck the balls out of the magnetic water hazards!! :laugh:

Seriously though, as you play and practice more, your game will improve. Simple logic. Just remember that you're doing this for fun and relaxation.

I have been playing for 4 years. Deff. the most frustrating sport ever created but you always hit at least one shot that makes you come back. i will give you a few words of advice that will deff. help improve your game.

1. Take a few lessons.
2. The more you play the better you will get.
3. You have to find your own swing. The Pro you take lessons from will help but take what everyone else say's with a grain of salt. There is a reason they are not playing in the PGA tour.

but seriously, have fun. thats what golf is all about.

I took a 10 on the the par 3 windmill hole at the local putt putt and haven't picked up a club since...

Seriously though don't let testosterone get in your way, club down work on hitting the ball straight, work with the 7 iron, most hit it around 150 or so. On 450 yard par 4 that 3 shots to the green and say a 2 putt hey we're talking bogey golf! The average golfer would give his eye teeth to play bogey golf...

Keep in mind on most courses you hit your driver 14 to 15 times IMHO this club is overated! Everyone loves the big bang shot but its probably the toughest club to consistantly hit straight.

Last but not least spend alot of time on the putting green! Remember most golfers miss the hole below the cup! This is the real estate on the course that will really make you or break you. See articles by Dave Pelz (the guru of putting) for more putting tips.

Just my .02

BenjieV
Handicap (my clubs) 13 ;)

Maybe this will help

Link

The best advice I can give you is to never take advice from an amateur. They will tell you to hold the club this way, stand that way, turn like this, etc. etc. etc..

Learn a few of the basics of the swing and work with them, then once you have something to work with get some lessons from a good teaching pro. And the sad truth is that 80% of club pros are bad teachers.