• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

100,000 Cuban Cigars Confiscated!

Something tells me many of them will be destroyed one at a time at the policemans ball and the post office Christmas party. :(

WOW! havn't been on CP in a bit and I recently placed an order with a site I had been using for years and got back a order cancelation email bellow:

"Due to shipping issues, at the moment we have stopped shipments of
everything to the US except, bespoke cigars, non cuban cigars,
humidors and accessories" I have cancelled the above order"

and this was just after receiving an order from them 2 weeks ago. I logged on to CP to see what was up... now I know.

To put it mildly I'm bummed. Please PM with alternative suggestions if you have any. The service, quality and prices of this switzerland company were amazing and it's a shame to see them go. I did get a few holiday orders in before this happened so I'm thankful for that.

To put it mildly I'm bummed. Please PM with alternative suggestions if you have any. The service, quality and prices of this switzerland company were amazing and it's a shame to see them go. I did get a few holiday orders in before this happened so I'm thankful for that.

Really?

Good thing I spent my $3,000 in cigars last year and they made it through. They are now sitting in long term storage aging...:cool: glad I was ahead of the game!

Sorry to any brothers that got burned in this.

Honestly, after years of CC's and the quality issues they seem to have, I've bought almost none over the last couple of years. With the wonderful stuff coming out of Padron, Pepin and the like, my cigar needs have been very well fulfilled as of late. When's the last time you got a plugged Padron? And, you don't have to let them "rest" for years before they are fit to smoke.

However, the statement "....smoke what you like, like what you smoke...." still applies......B.B.S.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Absolutely right!

Over the past 3 years or so the quality has consistently dwindled. I get more plugged Cubans than Dom/Nic cigars (and yes they're real). You can't go wrong with Padron, and when we have companies like Pepin and Fuente who put out excellent quality cigars, why fret over their origin? Plenty of good quality stuff that's legal. Like I've said all along, those who only smoke Cubans sure are missing out.
Funny that you say this Rod. My choice of smoke within the last year have been non-ISOM smokes.

Huge hit for the vendors. And possibly a bigger issue:

If the gov goes after the major suppliers through mail routes they don't have to spend any of the resources investigating or launching court cases against the individuals.

:(

For argument's sake, is it illegal for someone to ship a package to the United States with products originating from Cuba? If I understand what the articles say, the contents were clearly declared as cigars. Their actions were open and notorious in the sense they weren't attempting to defraud the government or disguise the contents. Would it not be more likely for the government to succeed in going after the American citizen who was purchasing contraband materials?

Except under a very limited and controlled set of circumstances, under the embargo no US Citizen is permitted to purchase Cuban products (including cigars) regardless where the items were purchased. Cuban cigars are therefore considered "contraband" and subject to seizure. I'm sure there will not be an awful lot of traction in other countries to enforce the US embargo, however - once those items cross into US territory - well - there's now the O'Hare Airport story to illustrate the government's diligence in enforcing the embargo...

"Defrauding" or "disguising the contents" of the shipments is not what led to the confiscation. Regardless of how the package was marked, the contents are still "contraband". It would be akin to shipping marijuana, openly marking the package as such and arguing the shipment would now be legitimate for the same reasons you stated. I'm quite certain a judge might give high marks for effort and ingenuity, but would not be otherwise swayed.

I'm not implying the contents would cease to be contraband if the contents are declared. I was more going after the idea the shipper wasn't doing anything illegal. They shipped a legal product in the origin country, declared the contents as cigars, and the customs agents enforced the embargo. The purchaser however, broke the law. The only recourse the government would have is to go after the law breakers.

Is the shipper doing something wrong if they know that shipping Cuban cigars into the US is illegal, even if they label the contents on the outside of the box? Hmmm.. Good question!

Certainly - I'm thinking they at least can't make any sort of meaningful case to US Customs to have the cigars returned to them.

Yeah, no way are they gonna return the cigars. The cigars are in the US, and they are illegal, regardless of where they came from; therefore, they will be destroyed.

Bulk seizures like the one described really hurt the vendors. It's much easier for the government to cut off the supply of cc cigars by hitting the supply lines, simply confiscating the cigars instead of individually pursuing thousands of cases against each customer because it is cheaper, more efficient and (unfortunately) a more effective way of enforcement. And since most vendors guarantee delivery the ultimate financial stress is left at their feet.

If massive bulk seizures become the norm there's a good chance that many vendors will simply refuse to ship cigars to the US, because it will become too costly and risky to do so.

Yeah, no way are they gonna return the cigars. The cigars are in the US, and they are illegal, regardless of where they came from; therefore, they will be destroyed.

Bulk seizures like the one described really hurt the vendors. It's much easier for the government to cut off the supply of cc cigars by hitting the supply lines, simply confiscating the cigars instead of individually pursuing thousands of cases against each customer because it is cheaper, more efficient and (unfortunately) a more effective way of enforcement. And since most vendors guarantee delivery the ultimate financial stress is left at their feet.

If massive bulk seizures become the norm there's a good chance that many vendors will simply refuse to ship cigars to the US, because it will become too costly and risky to do so.

You are exactly right Mark Twain, a true voice of reason.
The vendors are the real victims here and if reputable they will honor their guarantee of delivery and will have to issue mass refunds.
Some vendors won't survive that type of hit, let alone want to continue to guarantee US deliveries.

I spoke with my particular vendor and asked if their warehouse served more than one vendor (as was my suspicion). They confirmed that this was indeed the case.
Thus the huge pallets of cigars that hit Chicago and were the subject of this massive confiscation.
As of yet, no letter ;-) hopefully I won't get one.

Honestly, after years of CC's and the quality issues they seem to have, I've bought almost none over the last couple of years. With the wonderful stuff coming out of Padron, Pepin and the like, my cigar needs have been very well fulfilled as of late. When's the last time you got a plugged Padron? And, you don't have to let them "rest" for years before they are fit to smoke.

However, the statement "....smoke what you like, like what you smoke...." still applies......B.B.S.

Absolutely right!

Over the past 3 years or so the quality has consistently dwindled. I get more plugged Cubans than Dom/Nic cigars (and yes they're real). You can't go wrong with Padron, and when we have companies like Pepin and Fuente who put out excellent quality cigars, why fret over their origin? Plenty of good quality stuff that's legal. Like I've said all along, those who only smoke Cubans sure are missing out.
I enjoy Cubans very much but I love variety in ALL things. Why limit yourself? Notwithstanding extramarital dalliances with blond twins, of course.

You are exactly right Mark Twain, a true voice of reason.
The vendors are the real victims here and if reputable they will honor their guarantee of delivery and will have to issue mass refunds.
Some vendors won't survive that type of hit, let alone want to continue to guarantee US deliveries.

I spoke with my particular vendor and asked if their warehouse served more than one vendor (as was my suspicion). They confirmed that this was indeed the case.
Thus the huge pallets of cigars that hit Chicago and were the subject of this massive confiscation.
As of yet, no letter ;-) hopefully I won't get one.

Bye, bye guarantees! Hello limited number of vendors!

Would a limiting of vendors be a bad thing, necessarily? Would it help to weed out some of the questionable vendors in your opinion or would it have no bearing on them at all?

It definitely will weed out smaller vendors, who may, during difficult times, resort to less than scrupulous means. ;)

But, as they say, know your vendor!

Would a limiting of vendors be a bad thing, necessarily? Would it help to weed out some of the questionable vendors in your opinion or would it have no bearing on them at all?

One thing I haven't seen posted was that the confiscations will more than likely lead to even higher prices for CC's. Since the business can't afford to lose all this money. I do see the vendors stop shipping to the USA and prices go up if they do continue to ship to the USA without a guarantee of delivery. If the USA continues down the path of confiscations of CC's. Lastly if the vendors is limited, this within itself could raise prices and then add with continued shipping to the USA at the risk of the buyer losing it all. We all will take a hit which also includes the vendors. :(

One thing I haven't seen posted was that the confiscations will more than likely lead to even higher prices for CC's. Since the business can't afford to lose all this money. I do see the vendors stop shipping to the USA and prices go up if they do continue to ship to the USA without a guarantee of delivery. If the USA continues down the path of confiscations of CC's. Lastly if the vendors is limited, this within itself could raise prices and then add with continued shipping to the USA at the risk of the buyer losing it all. We all will take a hit which also includes the vendors. :(

Yes sir, I imagine the prices will go up all over.

I sure wish the embargo would end.

Ending the embargo would more like cause the prices of cigars to increase even further, not to mention the quality of the cigars to decrease. Right now the demand for cuban cigars already outweigh the supply. If the US market opened up for them they would not be able to keep up with the demand especially at the currant quality. What is ideal would be for the embargo to not be enforced.

Prices going up all the time, they dont need a reason for raising the prices.

Something tells me many of them will be destroyed one at a time at the policemans ball and the post office Christmas party. :(

Not likely... :rolleyes:

To put it mildly I'm bummed. Please PM with alternative suggestions if you have any. The service, quality and prices of this switzerland company were amazing and it's a shame to see them go.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Absolutely right!

I agree with you both on Padron - I can count on one hand the number of unsatisfactory Padrons I've had over the years. Pepin and his various and sundry brands on the other hand: not so much. I've had so many Pepin (even Tatuajes) in the last few years that were so poorly constructed and/or had wrapper issues that I've more or less stopped buying them until they get their crap together. Although I do have more issues with CC's than non, it isn't an overwhelming difference. Plus, non-CC's are far more expensive due to the insane taxes.

- Tim

If 100,000 cigars have been confiscated in roughly 1 month that suggests annual U.S. sales of about one million cigars. I'm sure some of those cigars were meant for holiday gifts but how much it will affect that one million estimate I'm not sure. I would think that a drop in annual sales of 1 million cigars would be significant. Wouldn't that cause the price to go down?

Yes sir, I imagine the prices will go up all over.

I sure wish the embargo would end.

This would be a horrible idea. The quality isn't what it used to be now. I can't imagine how bad they will be for the first 10years or so post embargo!