• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

3 Pricks, Giddy Asshats & a Flake pass

Ok, let me explain something. The Mummy is a one time release. The 77 comes out at Fathers Day and December and once they're gone, they are gone. The anejo caries a rarity/limited availability tag because it's not a regular production cigar.

With it not being a regular production cigar it HAS to be handled with a certain amount of rarity.

It really doesn't matter if one or two people can find the Mummy at their local B&M. It was a one time, special release, cigar, so it ABSOLUTELY carries a rarity factor.

The only problem I see with something carrying the "rarity" tag is that everyone is trying to jump on board to make a dollar using the "small batch" mentality. Pete Johnson is the prime example. Everything he's doing now is a marketing ploy to make a dollar. He only releases so many boxes of the "Monster" series every year. You don't think he knows people will be lining up until they are gone? Look at all the Boutique cigar lines out there that only release a few thousand of there cigars at a time and say they are a one time release or are only releasing so many due to "limited tobacco".

This is what makes it difficult. Shitty cigars are being released all the time under the marketing guise of "limited availability" or "small batch". Should this automatically make them a "rare" cigar that if put in a pass no one can argue value because it was a limited release. Go back into the archives and look at the P/T's in the "Jonesy Pretty Penny Pass" from 2007. Everything in my pass was high end and the passers were all well established, well known members. I told them since it was such a distinguished group, they didn't need approval for their P/T's. I still ended up getting f*cked because someone put a Perdomo Edicion de Silvio salamone coffin in my pass for a $30+ cigar....because the Perdomo had an outrageous MSRP I couldn't say anything because price point matched up. This is the type of thing that you have to be careful with.

Do you allow a $26 Gurkha be traded for a Padron 45th? Same price point! This is why it takes a discussion on P/T's and it also takes people listening to those of us with a lot of experience. I've given a lot of advice during the course of this pass. Whether it's sunk in, time will tell, if it went in one ear and out the other, so be it. Daryl took what I advice I gave yesterday and applied it to his P/T's and it helped him understand the way certain trades work. To me this is a win because even though more may have listened, I know one person put that advice to use.

Great post man. I just wish I had the info before posting the Partagas put. Lol

Now CJ will not have the chance to get this incredible cigar. ;-)

louich said:
Great post man. I just wish I had the info before posting the Partagas put. Lol

Now CJ will not have the chance to get this incredible cigar. ;-)
Just bomb him with it and tell him he has to do a review!!  :thumbs:

Jonesy said:
Ok, let me explain something. The Mummy is a one time release. The 77 comes out at Fathers Day and December and once they're gone, they are gone. The anejo caries a rarity/limited availability tag because it's not a regular production cigar.

With it not being a regular production cigar it HAS to be handled with a certain amount of rarity.

It really doesn't matter if one or two people can find the Mummy at their local B&M. It was a one time, special release, cigar, so it ABSOLUTELY carries a rarity factor.

The only problem I see with something carrying the "rarity" tag is that everyone is trying to jump on board to make a dollar using the "small batch" mentality. Pete Johnson is the prime example. Everything he's doing now is a marketing ploy to make a dollar. He only releases so many boxes of the "Monster" series every year. You don't think he knows people will be lining up until they are gone? Look at all the Boutique cigar lines out there that only release a few thousand of there cigars at a time and say they are a one time release or are only releasing so many due to "limited tobacco".

This is what makes it difficult. Shitty cigars are being released all the time under the marketing guise of "limited availability" or "small batch". Should this automatically make them a "rare" cigar that if put in a pass no one can argue value because it was a limited release. Go back into the archives and look at the P/T's in the "Jonesy Pretty Penny Pass" from 2007. Everything in my pass was high end and the passers were all well established, well known members. I told them since it was such a distinguished group, they didn't need approval for their P/T's. I still ended up getting f*cked because someone put a Perdomo Edicion de Silvio salamone coffin in my pass for a $30+ cigar....because the Perdomo had an outrageous MSRP I couldn't say anything because price point matched up. This is the type of thing that you have to be careful with.

Do you allow a $26 Gurkha be traded for a Padron 45th? Same price point! This is why it takes a discussion on P/T's and it also takes people listening to those of us with a lot of experience. I've given a lot of advice during the course of this pass. Whether it's sunk in, time will tell, if it went in one ear and out the other, so be it. Daryl took what I advice I gave yesterday and applied it to his P/T's and it helped him understand the way certain trades work. To me this is a win because even though more may have listened, I know one person put that advice to use.

This is my thinking only, and in no way do I carry enuff weight to trump or over-rule anyone, I am asking for my knowldge...

IMHO the 77 is a regular production cigar, twice a year you can, in theroy, go get more....the Mummy...not so much, so how id hte 77 rare? Hrder to get, yes, but rare?

And J you have nailed it for sure with the second set of bold up there....one of the single worst things to ever happen to the Cigar world, is this bullshit Small Batch, chase the holy grail, one off release shit that is going on....

Thank you , that is all, move along....

Tim

The Anejo is not a regular production cigar. If it were, it would be readily available all the time at B&M's and the internet. If it were it would be produced year round in staggering numbers not twice a year in limited numbers. Yes the Mummy is a one time release. Does that mean I can only trade a Drac or Wolfman for one since those are one time releases? If we were so strict on trades, then there are very few cigars that people would actually be able to trade for. This is what discussion is for, but it's general knowledge that a Shark will always carry a rarity factor in passes because it's not a readily available cigar and it's a limited twice a year release.

Not sure I can be much clearer on this.

And Tatuaje always does this "one time" bullshit which isn't a "one time" deal. The mummy, the mini mum, the new version of the Tatuaje black are all the same shit. In 2 more years he will make another set of stuff even though "there was a limited number of tobacco" and "only had enough to roll one release". Case and point, the monster series, black line and all of his other shit that ends up having 5 releases. When you break it down, the monster series will end up being a twice a year release :laugh:

At least Fuente doesn't ship freshly lacquered boxes! :whistling:

Jonesy said:
4 more people then y'all boys are gonna be on one hellacious P/T discussion. I wanna see the MF'er that tells me my shit's not good! :sign:
I'm your huckleberry!

Guys, I was not trying to be an ass or in my case a T(roll).

And Jonesy, I understand that there has to be a line drawn with all the one time release stuff....now again...not trying to start shit, but I think the 77 is much like the Westy 12, much hype because it is "hard to get"  and if I am really honest, I dont care for either...the only Shark I had that I liked was over 5 years old, and even then it was good, not great, but taste in cigars differ, and that is a good thing!

..and for the record, I waited until the P/T were approved for a reason.....as a non passing troller, I dont feel like I have much of a say in the P/T approval....from time to time I might ask questions, because well hey, that is how I learn.

I love you all from the bottom of my souless heart!!!

LOL

Tim

MX said:
Guys, I was not trying to be an ass or in my case a T(roll).

And Jonesy, I understand that there has to be a line drawn with all the one time release stuff....now again...not trying to start shit, but I think the 77 is much like the Westy 12, much hype because it is "hard to get"  and if I am really honest, I dont care for either...the only Shark I had that I liked was over 5 years old, and even then it was good, not great, but taste in cigars differ, and that is a good thing!

..and for the record, I waited until the P/T were approved for a reason.....as a non passing troller, I dont feel like I have much of a say in the P/T approval....from time to time I might ask questions, because well hey, that is how I learn.

I love you all from the bottom of my souless heart!!!

LOL

Tim
I know Brother, I just like busting your balls!

This is where you have to keep personal preference out of it. There are certain things people know are outrageously priced and are shitty cigars. We can kind of keep a lid on letting those get in a pass, but when you start letting your personal preferences take over when discussing P/T's, things can get messy quickly, especially if the person voicing those opinions has sway amongst the group.

You have to approach each set of P/T's with an open mind and without prejudice. You have to research, you have to know availability, you have to know average pricing, you have to know production, is it a highly sought after cigar....

There are so many variables that come into play when approving P/T's. That's why with each of the 6 passes I've run in the past, I was the only one approving them, it wasn't open for discussion. This way, I could verify the source, I would use my three sources to get prices so that one stick didn't have 4 different prices during the pass due to everyone Googling "God of Fire" and taking the first three prices they saw.

....and roger!

:sign:

but tell me about the Gurkha you like so much.... :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  

TIm

Jonesy ruled with a iron fist, I like to be more self moderated, but we know Jonesy likes power to make up for his short comings.

wkoti said:
Jonesy ruled with a iron fist, I like to be more self moderated, but we know Jonesy likes power to make up for his short comings.
If you only knew..........

Back