• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

3rd Annual Superbowl Squares Pool

I made the suggestion to change the pot/wager, solely based on the past years participation. This struggled to get filled up, a few days before the Super Bowl. I'm sorry that those of you that only smoke Cuban cigars feel slighted, by the change. On the flip side, this used to be an Opus/Anejo pool and it always filled up within a week, easy. Paul responded and none of the board members would feel pissed, if you back out.

If those of you that are Cuban smokers only, win this pot, I'll take the dredges of the NC off your hands. I'd hate for you guys to ruin your palates :) Yes, I put the smiley face, to seem less dickish. Did it work?

Big thing is when it is all CC it has never filled. I agree I hate modifying things mid stream but if we don't I will be stuck shipping back cigars. last year we had to switch it to 1 stick per box and it just filled. The first year I ended up giving away various 5ers for the 4 payouts. Either way it has been a pain in the ass. I fill figure out what to do with the CC's vs NC's if I can.

If you havent shipped yet dont. If you have I assume I have your DC# in my inbox. Let me gather what has already hit the road and we will go from there.

So if this stayed all CC it sound like we would of had 3 more players. Is there anyone that would have sat out if it was just CC's?

I made the suggestion to change the pot/wager, solely based on the past years participation. This struggled to get filled up, a few days before the Super Bowl. I'm sorry that those of you that only smoke Cuban cigars feel slighted, by the change. On the flip side, this used to be an Opus/Anejo pool and it always filled up within a week, easy. Paul responded and none of the board members would feel pissed, if you back out.

If those of you that are Cuban smokers only, win this pot, I'll take the dredges of the NC off your hands. I'd hate for you guys to ruin your palates :) Yes, I put the smiley face, to seem less dickish. Did it work?
The last 2 years of Opus/Anjeo struggled to fill as well where I believe the last year he ended up opening it up to more boxes per member.

Looks to me like we have 5 boxes on the way.
Bri
Larry
Tom
Clint
Wyatt

I want these to arrive and we will go from there. The way this is playing out it is unlikely to fill either way.

I know what was said but your snarky Oh Please was a little irritating.
The whole reason Bri and I were participating was because it was all Cuban. Even though Paul made the offer we felt like it would be a dick move to back out after signing up let alone sending the cigars.
Personally I don't believe rules should be changed once they have been posted and a single person signs up.
Given that the rules changed in a matter of hours, without everyone being able to voice there opinion, having a conversation now without the snarky comments doesn't seem unreasonable. . since the rules have changed there is nothing wrong with clarifying how the cigars are going to be divided up.
It was snarky because it's not what I would have expected to hear from you to be honest. I actually had to take a minute to think if you were joking or not.

The reason why I said it would be a mess is because it opens the door to so many scenarios that would be next to impossible to actually split it correctly. By your rational, you're saying that if any of the 3 who had already sent there's in would win, no one else could win Cubans. So if you chose 2 boxes (4 Cubans), I chose 4 boxes (6 Cuban, 2 Non) but sent mine in after the rule change, apparently I couldn't have any Cubans in my prize package? If that were the case, then why would anyone...other than the original 3, send in Cubans?
The only way to fix it, would be identify specific boxes as Cuban pot winners and NC pot winners....again, mess.

As Freebern said, in years past this filled up so fast you could barely get on in time to get a square. But that's when it was Opus/Anejo. The last few years Paul has done his best to keep it alive, but did it as Cuban. It has struggled. I too, like Freebern, felt it was a good change to get more participation.

I had 2 coworkers want in who only smoke CC's who said they weren't interested anymore either once the rules changed. It's also the reason I'm only taking 2 instead of 4 squares myself.

...and I took 4 instead of 3 because of the change. It goes both ways.

No, you're still a Dick! :)

If you wanted a Opus/Anejo pool you should have started one, not expect Paul to change the Cuban one to accommodate those members. Also where you planning on playing as it doesn't appear you have picked squares yet, or just stirring the pot?

I have no problem with a mixed pool. We enjoys NC's just not as frequently as Cubans. The issue was there was not enough time for members to comment on if they were ok with the change or for any concerns to be addressed. It all transpired so fast while I was asleep since I work nights and when I got back on it was too late. Also why only Padron and not say HTF Tats or other premium NC's if the point is to fill squares.

Big thing is when it is all CC it has never filled. I agree I hate modifying things mid stream but if we don't I will be stuck shipping back cigars. last year we had to switch it to 1 stick per box and it just filled. The first year I ended up giving away various 5ers for the 4 payouts. Either way it has been a pain in the ass. I fill figure out what to do with the CC's vs NC's if I can.

If you havent shipped yet dont. If you have I assume I have your DC# in my inbox. Let me gather what has already hit the road and we will go from there.

So if this stayed all CC it sound like we would of had 3 more players. Is there anyone that would have sat out if it was just CC's?

Honestly I think it should be left alone as it stands now a mixed pool and just try to fill it up. Trying to change it back now would just be messier. Moving forward in the future with the current decline in active members it should maybe just be a mixed pool so things don't change after being started.

I'm in now because of the change. I fully trust TP is able to fairly decide how the winnings are split. I agree with the fact that it's not entirely equal to exclude anyone who is entering post rule change to win CC's as why would I send any CC's if I couldn't have a chance to win any?

I think it was last year the cost was reduced to one cigar and everyone got double the boxes they initially had. We still had a few open boxes left though they did get taken. If this could fill with CC only that would be great. But since it hasn't worked out, I think this is the best compromise that can be had. At least we know the payout is broadly recognized as top shelf high quality smokes. Even if they aren't your favorite.

I'd be out if it were CC only. I've only requested 3 squares and wouldn't be disappointed if this stayed CC only.

From the looks of the board it might not be a bad idea to switch to one stick per square and allow those who have shipped to pick their extra squares and move down the order of those who pm'd that they'd be interested. That way you'll know the board will fill.

There's always other sporting events that we can put together a NC, or NC/CC board at another time.

I'm all for making this as easy as possible for the person/people that are putting this together.

If you wanted a Opus/Anejo pool you should have started one, not expect Paul to change the Cuban one to accommodate those members. Also where you planning on playing as it doesn't appear you have picked squares yet, or just stirring the pot?

Haha, I love you too.

No, I hadn't planned on joining. "I" didn't want any specific pool and I didn't expect Paul to change anything, I merely made a suggestion. Hell, I'm married and I know not to expect my suggestions to come to fruition. I was honestly thinking about the board and remembered how this has struggled in the years past. Believe me, this wasn't a result of selfishness, I've played from the start of this up until a few years ago.

I'm not a pot stirrer, I tend to side on resolving conflict, as opposed to starting it.

It was snarky because it's not what I would have expected to hear from you to be honest. I actually had to take a minute to think if you were joking or not.

The reason why I said it would be a mess is because it opens the door to so many scenarios that would be next to impossible to actually split it correctly. By your rational, you're saying that if any of the 3 who had already sent there's in would win, no one else could win Cubans. So if you chose 2 boxes (4 Cubans), I chose 4 boxes (6 Cuban, 2 Non) but sent mine in after the rule change, apparently I couldn't have any Cubans in my prize package? If that were the case, then why would anyone...other than the original 3, send in Cubans?
The only way to fix it, would be identify specific boxes as Cuban pot winners and NC pot winners....again, mess.

As Freebern said, in years past this filled up so fast you could barely get on in time to get a square. But that's when it was Opus/Anejo. The last few years Paul has done his best to keep it alive, but did it as Cuban. It has struggled. I too, like Freebern, felt it was a good change to get more participation.

...and I took 4 instead of 3 because of the change. It goes both ways.

Actually I was partially joking until your response. Yes it would be nice but no one really expected it. Nor would it have been fair to those who joined when it was all CC expecting that and excepted the change.

Instead of a snarky response a simple "this would be too difficult to handle" or "how would you manage to handle this" would have sufficed.

And honestly the reason this hasn't filled up is the decline in active membership. You would be hard pressed to fill any pool that needs 25-40 people to participate.

I am ok with the change I just don't feel it should have been done the way it was and basically by one member.

Haha, I love you too.

No, I hadn't planned on joining. "I" didn't want any specific pool and I didn't expect Paul to change anything, I merely made a suggestion. Hell, I'm married and I know not to expect my suggestions to come to fruition. I was honestly thinking about the board and remembered how this has struggled in the years past. Believe me, this wasn't a result of selfishness, I've played from the start of this up until a few years ago.

I'm not a pot stirrer, I tend to side on resolving conflict, as opposed to starting it.

Uh huh sure you do! :D Anyone who wears a tiara likes Drama. :p

Oh and I love you too..

I'd be out if it were CC only. I've only requested 3 squares and wouldn't be disappointed if this stayed CC only.

From the looks of the board it might not be a bad idea to switch to one stick per square and allow those who have shipped to pick their extra squares and move down the order of those who pm'd that they'd be interested. That way you'll know the board will fill.

There's always other sporting events that we can put together a NC, or NC/CC board at another time.

I'm all for making this as easy as possible for the person/people that are putting this together.

While we appreciate your input, let's let those of use that have been around longer than a week, decide.

Honestly I think it should be left alone as it stands now a mixed pool and just try to fill it up. Trying to change it back now would just be messier. Moving forward in the future with the current decline in active members it should maybe just be a mixed pool so things don't change after being started.

I agree I just want to make sure this is going to fill as is with the new rule before anyone else ships. I don't want to change things anymore and i'm not makshifting pots so if this hasn't made big ground by the end of next week lets say Friday then we may cancel all together and I only have limited cigars to ship back.

Paul

While we appreciate your input, let's let those of use that have been around longer than a week, decide.

Hang on, so you're implying that because I've been here for less than a week that my input is lacking? Obviously I have no seniority in this group and unless I misread what I wrote, I didn't tell anyone to do what I suggested nor was I making any decisions. I was merely offering a suggestion based on the pulse of what has previously posted in this thread. To be honest I was offering to back out completely to prevent an issue between those who are pro anti NC and those who are neutral... because I am a new jack here. I understand that while I am new here my suggestions will most-likely be over look. (There's no need for you to point that out) That won't stop me from offering solutions to potential problems. Good leaders welcome input from others. And Paul seems like the type of person who welcomes input.