• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aging / Rotation suggestions?

I was at a local shop last week and the owner was talking about his developing tastes around how a smoke might age. He feels like he's getting better at predicting how smokes are gonna age........

It'll be a while before I've smoked enough smokes to even know if I could taste that.... :0

So with that in mind, I ask for some feedback on aging and rotating some smokes...

I have about a years worth of smokes right now, so if it where theoretically possible to acquire a couple of boxes and let them sit around for a while, what would be good? I'm thinking in the $150-$220 a box range like RASS to Monte 2 range......

I'm not asking for sources or pricing or any of that, just what folks think would age well and how long a yr / 2 / 3?

I think those RASS and Monties would age very nicely in my coolerdor. Need my address??

LMAO

Very good choices and you will definitely see a difference in the complexity after they age for 2-3 years. :D

Don't have enough fogacity to answer your question except to say I recently smoked a 'southern' '98 Punch corona and it was one of the best smokes I have ever had. And I have been smoking for ten years.

Yesterday I bought two boxes of my old standby, FdeF, that were almost eight years old. Opened one up right away and ...mmmmmm.

How many other manufacturers put a date, coded or uncoded on their box? Anyone? Anyone? Ferris?

RASS and Monte #2 are great candidates for aging. Cohibas age well too ;)

any 42 ring bolivar will be good in 3 years and really good in 5 years.

derrek :D

I was wondering the same thing, and I just read that the heavier, full bodied cigars do well with age. Something about the melding of the different heavy tobaccos. The article went on to add that ageing will even help out the budget everyday smoker bundles too.

Was lucky enough to grab a Punch Ninfa from 1982 as my birthday smoke last year [older than me!].
I could def. taste the age and it was un-freakin-believable! tasty through and through.

Tend to smoke mine in under a year or so,
but would def. put in a vote for Bolivar PCs or RASS as something to set aside for a few years. Of course, I am impatient and usu just find them already aged.

Do what SSAL said and e-mail different vendors to find the oldest box code ;)

If you can pick up a copy of Min Ron NEE They give ageing potential on almost all of there cigars an example is
"Sancho Panza Sanchos
This cigar is quite underestimated. Ages extremely well. Draw problems are invariably due to young age. The tobacco used is typically very oily when new and thus hydroscopic. When young , this cigar might tast rather one-dimensional.

At 5 years old, subtle "woody" sweetness and complex aromas begin to develop. At 15 years, the previously subtle "woody" sweetness becomes quite pronounced with pleasant exotic complex woody flavors. Great balance and aftertaste. Strength 2/5.

Needs at least two hours of leisurely time to appreciate. Be sure to draw very gently so that the cigar will not heat up and destroy the delicate tastes. Never rush this cigar."

In general it seems they say stronger cigars age better for longer lengths of time, up to twenty to twentyfive years , while the milder cigars age great at three to five years. In some cases I've seen them state that a milder cigar would start loseing its flavor after five years, but I don't remember which one and I couldn't find it.

I've also seen them say not to open a varnished box or otherwise disturb the cigars for best long term ageing . To speed up the ageing process they said to let the air circulate around the cigars . Ive also seen mention that cabs tend to age better than boxes.

Anway like I said . This book is jamed full of info.
Hope this helps.
ps for Coventry Cat if there are any spelling mistakes its just a typo and not spelling :whistling:

Too many to list:

twenty five
aging
I've
jammed
losing

probably more....... :D

Thanks Randy, that's good advice. I need to find an MRN.

I had a SP Beli thanks to Secret Santa golfgar. That was one strong smoke! Kind of overpowering for me.......

I think a box of RASS is a good idea. The only good ones I've smoked had three years of age on them. Also, you can't find them with age on them at any vendors so if you want some that smoke nice you have to age them yourself.

The sad fact of the matter is that yes:

-- you will buy a new humidor, a nice big one that holds a bunch. :)

and then, instead of stopping there, you will buy:

-- a box of RASS, Bolivar [any], SP Beli, and Partagas [any]. :D

and then you will put the boxes inside and ignore them, aside from rand. checks for humidity, etc... :(
Then, in 2008, after 3 years of aging,you will open them and post how they are.
:thumbs:

p.s. - addy always in profile if you need a 2nd opinion. :thumbs: