• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anejo's and Tar

The only tar problem I've experienced was on a Short Story, twice. First solution was clip a little more off with the Xikar. Second time was a punched one, same solution.

Both were smoked in cooler temperatures, first was about 8C, second was close to -10C. Relevant? Maybe.

Temps here are always in the 70's to 85 and so far I haven't had any tar issues with Anejos. I did have a tar buildup on a cigar once but I forgot which brand it was.

Since I initially had a big nicotine rush on my first Anejo, I've since then given much more respect to every size and tend to smoke them slower than others. Plus, I found if I power hork them, they don't taste too well for me.

I've had a couple Anejo issues as well, and if I remember correctly, I punched the troublesome ones. I can't remember a single time that I had a problem while using my Xikar.???

Same here...... If I make a cut too small, the tar builds up for some reason. Before I discovered this, I just used to wipe the build up away with a tissue.

Touching my tongue to that god awful stuff would ruin the cigar and my taste buds for the night.

I've been fortunate enough not have that problem with the Anejo's I've smoked, but I seem to remember someone starting a thread here a couple of years ago regarding the same problem with a Shark. It may have been another forum, but I can't remember. The OP of that thread had pictures of the cigar with a large amount of tar literally seeping out where the cigar had been clipped. It was rather disgusting, to say the least.

Tar Thread!

So, I pulled a couple 5-year old 49's and my neighbor and I hit the cigar lounge last night. Took a hygro / thermometer with me, just to check (yes, I'm a nerd...:laugh: )

It was 72F in the room when we started, and about 70F when we finished. I thought it felt warm. To make things worse, we punched the cigars.

No tar. Nada.

An interesting data point.....more research is required.......:cool:

It could be that storing those at 63% for long term is a bit low. Try storing some at a higher RH and see if it corrects itself. Say 65% or so. I have had cigars with spitting problems correct before so it may be worth a try.

So, I pulled a couple 5-year old 49's and my neighbor and I hit the cigar lounge last night. Took a hygro / thermometer with me, just to check (yes, I'm a nerd...:laugh: )It was 72F in the room when we started, and about 70F when we finished. I thought it felt warm. To make things worse, we punched the cigars.

No tar. Nada.

An interesting data point.....more research is required.......:cool:

I'll see your nerd and raise you a geek (me :D )

What are the constituents of tar and their individual melting and boiling points? This would lend further support of temperature playing a role in tar build up and even suggest which, if any, specific components are concentrated. I'm going to have to do a bit of experimentation myself.

[quote name='Smokin'Sims' timestamp='1292188934' post='1012943']I'll see your nerd and raise you a geek (me :D )

What are the constituents of tar and their individual melting and boiling points? This would lend further support of temperature playing a role in tar build up and even suggest which, if any, specific components are concentrated. I'm going to have to do a bit of experimentation myself.
[/quote]

James, I get all gooey inside when you talk all smart and whatnot... :blush:

I've been fortunate enough not have that problem with the Anejo's I've smoked, but I seem to remember someone starting a thread here a couple of years ago regarding the same problem with a Shark. It may have been another forum, but I can't remember. The OP of that thread had pictures of the cigar with a large amount of tar literally seeping out where the cigar had been clipped. It was rather disgusting, to say the least.

Tar Thread!

Cool, thanks! I think my New Year's resolution this year will be to use the search function more often. :laugh:

Here ya go Tom...

AntiTardevice.jpg

It was around 50 degrees a couple weeks ago when I had tar issues. This is all pretty interesting, I'd bet that storage condition don't matter all that much. Whether you store at 63%/65 degrees, 65%/65 degrees, or 70%/70 degrees would only mean that tar would develop at slightly different environmental conditions. At least that's my theory.

Its amazing the things you ponder when smoking a gar!!

and there's a reason I wear my black Tatuaje t-shirt when I go to the lounge... makes for great dabbing of tar! of course the wifely unit© hates when I just throw it in with the other shirts to be washed! :laugh:

I'm happy to sit out in the cold and smoke any Anejos you want to send..... you know... for research. :whistling:

I find this topic interesting. I remember seeing tar mentioned in several of Greg's reviews. I have no doubt that storage conditions between Greg and Tom, and for that matter the vast majority of regular CP'ers, are good to ideal. Could you safely assume then that storage condition does not lead to tar? If ideal storage conditions were the cause of tar build up you would think it would be a far greater experience. I have noticed it mentioned in Dominican, Nicaraguan and Cuban tobacco. While Fuente seems to be mentioned more in my cursory search of the subject, this could simply be because of the frequency of Fuente products smoked by CP'ers. But Tats and several different marcas of Cubans also seem to produce tar and everything from recent production to pre-embargo cigars seem to be victimized by it so age seems not to be a factor. What is it then that can lead to tar? Something inherent in some tobacco leaves but not others? Come on smart people, get with the research. :D

Thanks to some ample storage, my Anejo stash has several years on it. My pelt cooled Staebell runs 65F / 63% steady as a rock.

I've been smoking some Anejo's lately, and to a man, they've all had tar problems...!! Crap...!! I'll smoke an inch or two, and chop 1/16" off the end to clear the goop and resurrect the draw.....smoke another inch or two, and chop another 1/16" off the end to clear the goop and resurrect the draw....and so it goes. One year old, five year old, they all seem to be in the same boat...!! Holy crap, you do NOT want to touch your tounge to that tar mess as it'll wreck your taste for quite a while.

Suggestions?

2767938103_530e7206b2.jpg

I've had tar on Padrons, Tatuajes, Fuentes, etc. One of the worst was a Padron 40th maduro that went from great flavors to damn near nothing and any amount of cutting the tar off wouldn't fix it...I was indoors as well so it was probably in the 70s. Pretty disappointing when you spend $20 on a cigar of that caliber and have it foul up that easily.