• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Another Tat exclusive

I've had two of these and they are very good. I called the shop to get a bundle and they put my name down but never called back.

I saw a picture from the shop where they crossed off the $200 and wrote in $300.

mike

I've had two of these and they are very good. I called the shop to get a bundle and they put my name down but never called back.

I saw a picture from the shop where they crossed off the $200 and wrote in $300.

mike

I can't see the shop even thinking of charging anybody $300 for a bundle. Jack and Jose are good people. :thumbs:

From their Twitter feed. "Just a regular Saturday at G Street." Maybe the $300 included the Cliquot and the lighter.

149442216.jpg

mike

I would not believe that they were serious (perhaps as a joke?)...Jose is a great guy, and treats his customers extremely well...

~brooks

Just got the last (literally) bundle available as a belated birthday gift from my brother. Absolutely thrilled to have it and I can't wait to get into them. It looks so awesome I don't want to open it. Planning on smoking a couple and then placing the rest in the back of my cabinet and putting a little age on them.

I'm a bit surprised by the lack of love for Pete and his lines. I've never been disappointed by any of the Tat blends I've tried and own several boxes of his stuff. I think he is the most creative personality in the industry and I can't wait to see what he rolls out next. JM2C

I'm a bit surprised by the lack of love for Pete and his lines. I've never been disappointed by any of the Tat blends I've tried and own several boxes of his stuff. I think he is the most creative personality in the industry and I can't wait to see what he rolls out next. JM2C

Don't be. Try a bit of searching for "Tatuaje" on here and you'll see why. I think he makes a good cigar, my favorite being the Tatuaje Black, but there's much to be desired in the way he markets himself, overall attitude, and more recently QC issues. But then again, I'm not here to turn this into a bashing thread. I don't think he's the most creative personality in the industry, I just think he knows how to sell, e.g. Make such a small amount of cigars and call them limited so everyone sells their firstborn to get them. The part that doesn't sit right with me is when he re-releases the same cigar 6 months later in a different band or size or bundle or box, and also calls that limited.

Just not my cup of tea. I like the Padrons, they're a bunch of straight shooters. The Fuentes are just as gimicky as PJ, but I feel they have earned the right to be because of the quality of product they put out. Then again, that's just my opinion. Just as long as you don't get all tmoney on me, that always sucks.

Don't be. Try a bit of searching for "Tatuaje" on here and you'll see why. I think he makes a good cigar, my favorite being the Tatuaje Black, but there's much to be desired in the way he markets himself, overall attitude, and more recently QC issues. But then again, I'm not here to turn this into a bashing thread. I don't think he's the most creative personality in the industry, I just think he knows how to sell, e.g. Make such a small amount of cigars and call them limited so everyone sells their firstborn to get them. The part that doesn't sit right with me is when he re-releases the same cigar 6 months later in a different band or size or bundle or box, and also calls that limited.

Just not my cup of tea. I like the Padrons, they're a bunch of straight shooters. The Fuentes are just as gimicky as PJ, but I feel they have earned the right to be because of the quality of product they put out. Then again, that's just my opinion. Just as long as you don't get all tmoney on me, that always sucks.

Jon you don't find labeling your factory 2nds as a Butcher's Cut creative?

I have heard that the reason he releases so many different lines is because he doesn't have enough tobacco to continue them. Instead of investing money into marketing, he should have been buying fields. Now that DPG is having issues with tobacco sources, it really puts a damper on Pete's production. If a limited release isn't as good as an older brown label, I think Pete will die a slow death. He will turn into a show like Gurkha, great boxes, shitty cigars.

I have heard that the reason he releases so many different lines is because he doesn't have enough tobacco to continue them. Instead of investing money into marketing, he should have been buying fields. Now that DPG is having issues with tobacco sources, it really puts a damper on Pete's production. If a limited release isn't as good as an older brown label, I think Pete will die a slow death. He will turn into a show like Gurkha, great boxes, shitty cigars.

I just got a chance to try some of Pete's latest lines. The Cazador 7th Reserva and Petite Cazador Reserva good cigars at $9 and $5 respectively. I still believe that the Pork Tenderloin is one of the best cigars that Pete has produced in a long time. Personally...I can't knock somebody that's producing a product that people are tripping over themselves to get their hands on.

The Pork Tenderloin is a good smoke. Had good construction, good density, pleasant smell but wasn't as rich as the older brown labels. It is a good step from the worthless limited editions he has released but still "no cigar".

If anyone that got a bundle thinks they suck, drop me a pm. Next to the original triunfador lanceros, these are my favorite of his lines.

Well I'll be! I think I'm agreeing with you on this! Is there a snowball fight going on in hell?? :sign: I think you are SPOT ON with this prediction man, and you are totally right. Instead of marketing, shoulda been buying fields. That's where you truly set yourself up for the long haul when you can control your own product instead of relying on other factories for it.

[rant]

People may ask why he wouldn't just stop getting tobacco from DPG and it is probably because he is too invested in him to leave. Alot of brands do factory hopping, if they are rolling bad and go somewhere else but when you are getting the tobacco from the factory, you get another story. Pete messed up when he left everything but the marketing to DPG.

The best thing he can do right now is stop all production, go into hiding for a year or two and spend the entire time blending and staking out new fields (and releasing a few sneak peaks at what is coming to fruition). It is an investment but you either spend the 5-10 years growing/aging for the long haul compared to the scrap tobacco market where anything can happen. I may raise alot of crap for this but I think Arturo Fuente is doing the exact same thing. They haven't released a decent high end smoke (other than the TAA IMHO) in years. If you ever go talk to someone that knows cigars and is looking for Opus, they always ask for Opus prior to 06' because they have just gone to mass producing them. In about two years, I am predicting that Opus will be selling in the mags instead of B&Ms.

Why do owners insist on raping their brands? Cigars aren't like other businesses. They are an art and they cannot be treated otherwise.

[/rant]

[rant]

People may ask why he wouldn't just stop getting tobacco from DPG and it is probably because he is too invested in him to leave
. Alot of brands do factory hopping, if they are rolling bad and go somewhere else but when you are getting the tobacco from the factory, you get another story. Pete messed up when he left everything but the marketing to DPG.

The best thing he can do right now is stop all production, go into hiding for a year or two and spend the entire time blending and staking out new fields (and releasing a few sneak peaks at what is coming to fruition). It is an investment but you either spend the 5-10 years growing/aging for the long haul compared to the scrap tobacco market where anything can happen. I may raise alot of crap for this but I think Arturo Fuente is doing the exact same thing. They haven't released a decent high end smoke (other than the TAA IMHO) in years. If you ever go talk to someone that knows cigars and is looking for Opus, they always ask for Opus prior to 06' because they have just gone to mass producing them. In about two years, I am predicting that Opus will be selling in the mags instead of B&Ms.

Why do owners insist on raping their brands? Cigars aren't like other businesses. They are an art and they cannot be treated otherwise.

[/rant]

I'll address the highlighted points in order:
Why doesn't Pete leave Pepin? Loyalty for one. They really made each other famous, and ask any of them and they will tell you Pete is a member of their family now. Besides, despite my objections to his overexposure, Pepin is one of the top 2-3 cigar makers going now. Pete doesn't own fields, factories, rollers, etc. he is fully dependent upon Pepin for that.

Have you had pre '06 Opus vs. current Opus? While I may not have a refined palate, I smoke ALOT of Opus, and honestly I don't notice a huge difference in flavor, and maybe I'm lucky, but I've not had an Opus or Anejo with construction issues. The reason people want '06 at this point is because they are already aged for them. Yes, Fuente plays the rarity game (and they do it well), but their product is still pretty damn good and consistent in my experience.

Actually they are a business like any other. Don't kid yourself into thinking those guys aren't out to make money just like WalMart, McDonalds, etc. Sometimes I think we all get a little to personal in this hobby, and we expect these guys to all be working hard for the common man. Well, hate to burst your bubble, but they are looking for the cheapest way to make cigars and turn as big a profit margin as anyone else.

Ok, steve, your right- I thought the tat black tasted like graham cracker. However- ever had a smore? With out the graham cracker, you'd just have a chocolate marshmallow mess!
I bet this is a funny allusion but I can't figure it out. :) So smores contain graham cracker and chocolate. And Tat Blacks.

All the blacks I ever had wouldn't burn properly... ???

I've had that issue with all the Tat Black tubos I have smoked. Also the ash tended to flower on those sticks. Was not impressed at all by these.
I thought the one I got was a fluke. Perhaps it's like with some other Pepin smokes - over-hydrate them and they run and tastes bad.

When I hear about about a new Tatuaje release, the scene from Forest Gump where Bubba is tellin' Forest about all the different ways to cook shrimp runs through my head......

I'm waiting for the, "And umm, well, that's just about it."

Good smokes, just too many to keep track of.
I gave up trying to get every cigar that comes out. If it comes my way, cool.