• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

any one try the Cigars International Legends series?

Had another orange label today... completley different from the first one I had. Nice smoke

Update on the procurement process....

I have the:
Green (Puros Indios)
Orange (Rocky Patel)
Blue (Matasa)
White (Camacho)
Red (Perdomo)

On the way (from Cbid):
Purple (Graycliff)

Currently bidding on:
Copper (Drew Estates)

Yet to resolve:
Black (La Aurora)

I smoked the red label last Saturday and am currently working on my review. I'll wait to post it until the other reviewers have had a chance to catch up (I don't want to influence their reviews). I will say I liked it. I've liked other Perdomo cigars too.

Cheers,
Joe

edits: modified to contain some useful content....

Hey Joe, I received my package from you today and I wanted to thank you for your generocity. :thumbs: I will let you know when I get around to reviewing the red label hopefully within a few days. Thanks again Joe. I'll keep you updated.

Good deal. Glad you got them. I have smoked and written a review for the Green and Red labels. I'll wait to post them until you guys have had a chance to smoke them.

I have the Orange, Blue and White labels ready to go, with the others still outstanding or on the way. I will probably go ahead and send these next 3 this week. There might be a week or so break between these and the next ones (my 2 cigars per week idea isn't working out). The Black label cigars are proving difficult to get, so that may delay the last shipment.

Looking forward to reading what you guys think about the first 2 cigars, now that I've smoked them.

Hey Joe,
I smoked my Red Label after a big dinner, I'm ready to put up my review whenever you give me the go. :thumbs:

Great info here. :thumbs:

Sorry but I really have nothing to add since I've never smoked these. :(

Okay, one of you fockers tell me how I'm wasting bandwidth with babble that adds no value. :laugh:

Okay, one of you fockers tell me how I'm wasting bandwidth with babble that adds no value. :laugh:

:whistling:

I've had the Puros Indios and the Perdomo Legends and disliked both.

The Puros well because it was a Puros, the Perdomo was bitter and bland at the same time ??? I'm looking forward to the rest of the reviews.

OK, I would have expected something more profound for your 9,000th post. :p No contest or anything and I wanted to win something from ya. ;)

I tried the Green label (Puros Indios). It was nice looking and burned very well, but was mild and bland tasting.

Ok you thread-jackers...find someplace else to play! :laugh:

One of the packages has not yet arrived, let's give it a day or so before we call it lost. Hold up posting your review for just a bit.

The next package of Legends is on the way (mailed 6/8):

Orange (Rocky Patel)
Blue (Matasa)
White (Camacho)

I included a few of my favorite short, summertime smokes.

Let's give the first package one more day to arrive and either way, Friday (tomorrow) will be the day to start posting your reviews.

Thanks Joe I will start looking for the new package. As of today the first did not make it, I am still hopeful. ???

Thanks again Joe. I'll probably be smoking the Green Label tomorrow after dinner hopefully. As for the black label, I e-mailed CI and their response was:
Hello,

I checked w/ my inventory manager and was told the Blacks are on the way and are supposed to arrive any day now, as long as they don’t get stuck in customs or any of the storms, etc. If we are lucky we will see them the end of next week, but its not definite.

If you need further info let me know.

Thanks!

Jessica D

Thanks for checking on Black label Legends. I got outbid on the Drew (Copper) Legends at Cbid (some folks are willing to pay way over retail!).

I'll put in an order with CI on the Copper and Black and we'll just wait until they show up.

I'm putting together the finishing touches on my reviews and plan to post both of them today.

Edits: Ordered Black and Copper 5'ers from CI on 6/9/6

Legends Red (Perdomo) Label Cigar Review

Monday June 5 2006

Legends Cigars - Red (Perdomo)

All the cigars in the Legends series are the same size, 5.75” x 54 with a target price of $5. This cigar was purchased as part of a Legends sampler from CigarBid and spent about 6 weeks resting in my coolerdor.

This cigar is the only figurado in the Legends series. Curiously, the tip is very pointy, almost sharp.

Prelight activities:
The cigar felt firm and had just the right amount of give. It had a nice dark chocolate brown color with only 1 noticeable vein. The label was loose and easily slid right off.

It had that great musty smell, but was noticeably stronger smelling than the Green label. I suspected this cigar was going to be a medium-to-strong smoke.

I clipped it after briefly moistening the head in my mouth. The clip was crisp, clean and straight. The pre-light draw was just a bit on the easy side, although acceptable (not straw-like).

First 3rd:
I lit it with my Zippo torch (Blazer insert) using a brief toasting and then some direct flame coupled with a few puffs (I was outside). From the first puff, I could tell this cigar had some kick to it.

The first several puffs were strong and a bit peppery with lots of smoke. The smoke was dry with a slight toasted almond flavor. Within the first half-dozen puffs, I was feeling a slight nicotine buzz (I am a light-weight though…).

The pepperyness was gone by the first inch and the cigar evened out nicely, although retained it’s nic-kick for the whole smoke.

I would classify the first 3rd of this cigar as dry, a bit strong with lots of smoke and great burn. The ash was solid and white.

Middle 3rd:
I also dropped this cigar (it fell off the ashtray) but it survived without damage. It hit me on the way down (burning end against bare knee) but the ash protected me from being burned. My wife came out during this part of the cigar and took a few puffs. She said the smoke reminder her of the smoke from a batch of wood we went through one year in the fireplace. She thought the cigar might have been just slightly sweet (although that could have been me…I was drinking a German apple liquor “Apfel Korn” while I was smoking this cigar and I’m a “wet” smoker. I thought the sweetness of the liquor went well with the strength of the cigar. We laughed about that – she doesn’t like to share cigars because she is a “dry” smoker.)

The middle of the cigar smoked very well. The after-taste reminded me of the after-taste of a full-bodied, dry red wine. Kind of dries your mouth out and leaves you smacking your lips.

Last 3rd:
I also didn’t get to nub this cigar as a big storm was rolling in. The last third was starting to be a bit harsh for me and I already had a good nic buzz going anyway. I smoked this cigar right after dinner, so I had a full stomach. Like I said, I kind of a light-weight so don’t let that put you off. This cigar is strong, but not a Tatuajes or Opus X.

Total smoking time: 55 minutes.

Summary:
I liked it ok. For my money, I like the other Perdomo cigars better, including the Perdomo Estate Seleccion and the Anniversary cigars (the ones with the fancy cello wrappers). Generally, I like the mild to medium cigars and this one was just a bit too strong for me. Still, it had a nice construction, color and was a pleasant way to spend the last hour of the day.

Afterthoughts (added on 6/9/6)
The more I studied this cigar and worked on the review, the more I realized I liked the cigar less and less. Wurm described the Perdomo as "bitter and bland at the same time"...I kind of agree. The cigar was strong in a way that didn't really enhance the smoking experience.

Cigar International Red Label:
June 6, 2006 after a large dinner :D

This cigar was accommodated by a bottle of cold water.
Pre-light:
The construction of the cigar felt pretty loose using the pinch test. The wrapper was, well here's some pictures:
P6060032.jpg

P6060036.jpg

I cut the cigar with my dual blade guillotine.
p6060045.jpg

The draw felt very loose but tasted nutty with a hint of coffee. Maybe I didn't cut this right? This was my first figurado I've smoked/cut.

Initial Light: The taste was somewhat mild-medium and there was lots of milky smoke.

1/3:
The first third of the smoke, it was a little spicy but smooth with a leathery taste.
P6060038.jpg

2/3: Still smooth but even spicier, almondy, nutty. It continued to draw very loosely. The ash fell as I took a puff.
P6060040.jpg

As it fell on the ground, it was like a puff of dust.
P6060041.jpg

last 3rd: It burned very hot which made it even spicier than the 2nd/3rd. It felt harsh and tasted bitter/acidic. The last of the cigar was very hard to finish, but I just toughed it out.
P6060042.jpg

Ash fell again as I took another puff:
P6060043.jpg

As you can see, I tried to pinch the end to maybe tighten the draw up, but it didn't do much.

Throughout this smoke, the tip of the cigar had blue smoke coming from it while each puff was thick white smoke that if the wind blew the wrong way, it would burn my eyes. If this cigar had a tighter construction/draw, I think I would have enjoyed it much more. The first 2/3's of the cigar was enjoyable, the last third was not. This gave me a good nicotine rush that I have not had smoking cigars. I probably wouldn't buy this cigar or give to a newbie for it isn't worth it to smoke for me and may be too strong for a newbie. The smoke that it produced was the most I have ever had from a cigar though. Thank you Joe for giving me the opportunity to review these cigars. The next one will probably be reviewed today. :D

:D :laugh: :D :laugh: HAPPY JOY JOY!!!! The cigars have arrived from there long search. I will post very soon Thanks alot for all the generous sticks.

Hey Richard - Great job on the review! Nice pics too. Raises the bar a bit...I'll have to get out the camera next time. Curious to see what Clint has to say...We'll give him a day to get caught up and then I'm posting my next review!

I will start by saying wow......

Construction:

A beautiful medium to dark brown wrap. There are no large veins to be noticed.
The wrap is smooth and silky. Perfect moisture to the pinch, very surprised considering the detour on the long journey.

I clipped the end end about 1/2 inch in.

Light:

The light was from my trusty Calibri two flame torch. The light was smooth no problems with the initial light. First thing I could taste off the light, was the sweetness of the sungrown wrap.

1st third

This cigar started pretty smooth light tastes. The burn was even and the smoke plentiful.

2nd third

The second third incresed in strength. The spicy flavor began to show. The burn began to increase in heat.

3rd

The third and final part of this became a little more work. The cigar was
begining to give some problems. I had to relight twice. At least one time
was do to the buzz I was getting. The spiciness had increased so quickly I
didn't relize how strong this cigar would get.

Overall I liked this cigar. The sungrown wrap gave a great taste, and the kick
I recieved at the end WOW!! :rolleyes:

Thanks Joe.

Hey Richard - Great job on the review! Nice pics too. Raises the bar a bit...I'll have to get out the camera next time. Curious to see what Clint has to say...We'll give him a day to get caught up and then I'm posting my next review!

Joe,
I received yet another package from you, not only of the legends but MORE! Man, you have out done yourself. I WILL NOT forget this. Good things will come. Thank you sir, you are a good man.