• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone follow Formula 1?

Oh. Ha.

Top 3: Max, Charles, Sergio

Top 6: Max, Charles, Sergio, Carlos, Fernando, George

Top 10: Max, Charles, Sergio, Carlos, Fernando, George, Lewis, Oscar, Albon, Lando

Constructor: Red Bull, Ferrari, Merc

Did I do this right? Top 10 is always fluid, but I'm pretty confident in the Top 6, as long as they are not crashed out or have unforeseen mechanical issues.

Oh. Ha.

Top 3: Max, Charles, Sergio

Top 6: Max, Charles, Sergio, Carlos, Fernando, George

Top 10: Max, Charles, Sergio, Carlos, Fernando, George, Lewis, Oscar, Albon, Lando

Constructor: Red Bull, Ferrari, Merc

Did I do this right? Top 10 is always fluid, but I'm pretty confident in the Top 6, as long as they are not crashed out or have unforeseen mechanical issues.
That's what I was asking for!!! Yes.
In my Arnold voice... I'll be back.

Ok after looking it over like a horse race....LOL Trying to find odds to beat the favorite Max.

I came up with George Russell top 2 for +150

What do you think? Maybe he comes in 1 or 2?

Although the weekend had a tough start, I thought that was one of the more interesting races of the year. I really feel bad for Carlos, I would have liked to see him start from the front.

I’m curious to know, is it as fun to watch F1 knowing the same driver will likely win every race? That Max seems pretty unstoppable.

We're right on the heels of Hamilton winning seemingly every race for years before Red Bull came to dominate. Then think back to Schumacher's Ferrari years or even Red Bull/Vettel, not quite as dominant, but still very stout - Max just passed Vettel's win total. Both Max and Lewis are extremely talented drivers, but no other teams are/were able to field a car to challenge during their dominance, IMHO due to over-restrictive regulations designed to help level the field. At least Charles was able to pass Max on track in Vegas after taking pole and only finished 2 seconds back, that's enough to keep me interested I guess.

I’m curious to know, is it as fun to watch F1 knowing the same driver will likely win every race? That Max seems pretty unstoppable.
No, it's not. I normally skip the race and just watch the highlights. F1 too often turns out to be a race to turn 1 lap 1. After that it's generally predictable. I'm a fan of all sorts of racing, so I pay attention to F1 but I wouldn't say I'm a fan.

Although the weekend had a tough start, I thought that was one of the more interesting races of the year. I really feel bad for Carlos, I would have liked to see him start from the front.

Now, I won't say I was as pleasantly surprised with this race as I was with the Detroit IndyCar race this year (that I thought was going to be a shit show based on all of the support races, but turned out to be one of the best races of the year, IMHO), but it wasn't the farce many expected it to be. I need to watch the highlights again, but stacking it against the other street circuits -- as unbiased as I can right now -- I didn't think it was a bad race. Every race has a Lap 1 / Turn 1 disaster potential, and aside from Lando's crash, it was a pretty uneventful race as far as yellows go. I think I saw that it was the second-most overtakes of any race this season, which is a pretty good thing. Cheap gold-plated Vegas pageantry aside, I can't poo poo on the racing part of it too bad. Now, everything surrounding the flag-to-flag...

No, it's not. I normally skip the race and just watch the highlights. F1 too often turns out to be a race to turn 1 lap 1. After that it's generally predictable. I'm a fan of all sorts of racing, so I pay attention to F1 but I wouldn't say I'm a fan.
We're right on the heels of Hamilton winning seemingly every race for years before Red Bull came to dominate. Then think back to Schumacher's Ferrari years or even Red Bull/Vettel, not quite as dominant, but still very stout - Max just passed Vettel's win total. Both Max and Lewis are extremely talented drivers, but no other teams are/were able to field a car to challenge during their dominance, IMHO due to over-restrictive regulations designed to help level the field. At least Charles was able to pass Max on track in Vegas after taking pole and only finished 2 seconds back, that's enough to keep me interested I guess.

Well, it's good for me since I've had Max on my fantasy team. :p Sadly, Formula 1 has pretty much always been a tiered performance sport; one or two teams really stand out from the rest for a few seasons, and then the rules package changes for the car, and another constructor and driver stand out. As @ChuckJr mentioned, before Max and Red Bull, there was Hamilton at Mercedes (with Rosberg sneaking in there for one season), before that was Red Bull again with Sebastian Vettel, save for The Miracle On Ross, you had pretty much a decade of Ferrari in the early 2000's. That's just modern'ish era. Williams, McLaren, even Benetton were big hitters in the 80s and 90s. If you keep going back, you get Ferrari again, and Lotus. I'm not excusing the lack of parity, just saying it's always been there in F1 racing. Obviously, I'm a lot more interested in the season when my team (Ferrari) is doing well -- which hasn't happened a lot in recent years until just later in this season -- but I still love racing of all kinds, and even if the frontrunner is a few seconds out of the camera picture, there's still usually some good scraps going on. I also love the technology and science that goes into making F1 cars what they are. But, that's just me.

If it's competitive open-wheel racing ye be lookin' fer, give the IndyCar series a go. Almost every team has a shot on any given weekend, and up until this season, the championship has come down to the final race -- sometimes the final lap -- since something like 2008. It's also a predominantly US-based series, so it is easier to follow here at home.

Now, I won't say I was as pleasantly surprised with this race as I was with the Detroit IndyCar race this year (that I thought was going to be a shit show based on all of the support races, but turned out to be one of the best races of the year, IMHO), but it wasn't the farce many expected it to be. I need to watch the highlights again, but stacking it against the other street circuits -- as unbiased as I can right now -- I didn't think it was a bad race. Every race has a Lap 1 / Turn 1 disaster potential, and aside from Lando's crash, it was a pretty uneventful race as far as yellows go. I think I saw that it was the second-most overtakes of any race this season, which is a pretty good thing. Cheap gold-plated Vegas pageantry aside, I can't poo poo on the racing part of it too bad. Now, everything surrounding the flag-to-flag...

Well, it's good for me since I've had Max on my fantasy team. :p Sadly, Formula 1 has pretty much always been a tiered performance sport; one or two teams really stand out from the rest for a few seasons, and then the rules package changes for the car, and another constructor and driver stand out. As @ChuckJr mentioned, before Max and Red Bull, there was Hamilton at Mercedes (with Rosberg sneaking in there for one season), before that was Red Bull again with Sebastian Vettel, save for The Miracle On Ross, you had pretty much a decade of Ferrari in the early 2000's. That's just modern'ish era. Williams, McLaren, even Benetton were big hitters in the 80s and 90s. If you keep going back, you get Ferrari again, and Lotus. I'm not excusing the lack of parity, just saying it's always been there in F1 racing. Obviously, I'm a lot more interested in the season when my team (Ferrari) is doing well -- which hasn't happened a lot in recent years until just later in this season -- but I still love racing of all kinds, and even if the frontrunner is a few seconds out of the camera picture, there's still usually some good scraps going on. I also love the technology and science that goes into making F1 cars what they are. But, that's just me.

If it's competitive open-wheel racing ye be lookin' fer, give the IndyCar series a go. Almost every team has a shot on any given weekend, and up until this season, the championship has come down to the final race -- sometimes the final lap -- since something like 2008. It's also a predominantly US-based series, so it is easier to follow here at home.
One thing I took from your post is if your team has money you will afford the tech to push to to the front nearly every race. I guess it’s not much different than any other forms of racing. Even my neighbor who runs a late model dirt track car. When he has the dough his car is screaming.

One thing I took from your post is if your team has money you will afford the tech to push to to the front nearly every race. I guess it’s not much different than any other forms of racing. Even my neighbor who runs a late model dirt track car. When he has the dough his car is screaming.
Not sure that's accurate. All 10 constructors HAVE money!! I honestly think it just comes down to who the stand out driver is. You would assume that Max and Sergio's cars are identical, but Sergio finds ways to screw up his races.

Not sure that's accurate. All 10 constructors HAVE money!! I honestly think it just comes down to who the stand out driver is. You would assume that Max and Sergio's cars are identical, but Sergio finds ways to screw up his races.
True and false. It used to be wide open as far as spending goes, which is why the big teams were always so far ahead -- they had the engineers, the technical mechanisms in-house, the wind tunnels, the unlimited budget for continuous upgrades... and the budget for the top drivers. There has been a recent cost cap introduced, which all teams must stay within, for the entire season encompassing all aspects of their operation and support. This was supposed to keep development costs at a "reasonable" level for everyone, so that the Ferrari money, and the Mercedes money, and the Austrian Red Bull money was all the same as that of a Haas or Williams who struggle just to keep spare parts for the cars, never mind upgrades throughout the season.

That said, affording the caliber of driver for the car is a big part of the equation. For instance, before Pérez, Red Bull had three other drivers who simply could not drive the car even remotely well enough to support Max -- forget about beating him. Red Bull is also notorious for dropping drivers mid-season, as they did with Albon/Gasley, and De Vries this season. Another good example is George Russell, who absolutely outdrove the capabilities of the Williams when he was in it; a veritable "chase car" for the field, it was so bad. He took second in his first race as a substitute in Hamilton's car; a race he should have won if not for a team screwup on a pit stop. He's every bit the driver Lewis is in the same Merc, IMHO. Max is just on another level, though. Yeah, he has the best car in the field, but (as much as I hate to admit it), he's matured into the driver everyone expected him to be when he came into F1 as a "plucky teenager". The talking heads even referred to him back then as "The Champion In-Waiting" Max Verstappen.

As I understand it, via a coworker that is into racing, is that Red Bull set up the car to Max's liking. Max likes a loose car. Unfortunate for Perez, he likes a tighter car and has difficulty handling the car as it is setup.

Damn, Sainz is snakebit these last couple of practice sessions...

Aye. Man, he pancaked that car. FP3 didn't show any pace, unfortunately. Hopefully he surprises during quali.