• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone follow Formula 1?

Short recap: 1st half tire management, 2nd half nail biter.

You're welcome. ;)

ESPN sometimes re-broadcasts the race a time or two after Sunday, might be able to catch it yet. With football and baseball both up and running, they may not think it's worth it right now.
I watch on ESPN plus, it's on demand. Download it, then log in with your cable provider. I have Direct TV.

I can't remember the last time someone was DQ'd for plank height. There may have been others, but the most recent one I can recall was Schumacher when he was still with Benetton!

I can't remember the last time someone was DQ'd for plank height. There may have been others, but the most recent one I can recall was Schumacher when he was still with Benetton!
It would have been interesting if the rules had allowed them to check the whole field.

It would have been interesting if the rules had allowed them to check the whole field.
Yeah, for real. I agree with Brundle on that one -- the whole field should have been checked after 50% of those tested failed.

I read that the reason the entire field wasn't checked was just time limitations with back to back race weekends. That said, I don't really care for the whole Sprint format, those extra 19 laps under parc ferme is likely what caused the planks to be worn so much. When they throw in another mini race and that impacts the actual race - literally the whole reason the teams show up for - then that takes away from rather than adds to the F1 experience.

I read that the reason the entire field wasn't checked was just time limitations with back to back race weekends. That said, I don't really care for the whole Sprint format, those extra 19 laps under parc ferme is likely what caused the planks to be worn so much. When they throw in another mini race and that impacts the actual race - literally the whole reason the teams show up for - then that takes away from rather than adds to the F1 experience.
I completely agree. I'm not a fan of the sprint races, either. I do like the abbreviated quali format for it, though, and I'll admit that I'm a fan of the tire compound-based quali format they have been using for a few rounds this season. Sprint races, though...? Nope.

Well, the F1 Heineken Silver Las Vegas Shit Show GP weekend is finally here! Aaaaaand, cars on track lasted exactly nine minutes into FP1 before the session was cancelled because manhole covers destroyed a Ferrari and an Alpine, and further damaged an Alfa.

Well, the F1 Heineken Silver Las Vegas Shit Show GP weekend is finally here! Aaaaaand, cars on track lasted exactly nine minutes into FP1 before the session was cancelled because manhole covers destroyed a Ferrari and an Alpine, and further damaged an Alfa.
I didn't record it..

That could have been ALOT worse! Imagine if it had hurt Sainz!??

I don't follow F1, but I am very much a Las Vegas enthusiast. This event has not gone as planned on a number of levels. When it was first announced, hotel rates skyrocketed for race weekend anticipating a huge demand. I just checked, and I can get rooms on the Strip right now for this weekend for less than $200/night. Some trade shows cause rates to go higher than that. Yes, the center Strip luxury properties are expensive and very full, but they usually are anyway on the weekend. The resurfacing of the Strip and construction of grandstands, safety barriers, etc. has made it very difficult to navigate the major tourist areas of the city. My wife and I were out there three weeks ago and every bartender/dealer/cabbie/server we asked about it said they couldn't wait for it to be over. I'd heard that one of the reasons they decided to do it in mid-November is because that was typically a slow time, and that the potential influx of fans coming in for the race could result in a spike of tourism revenue that they otherwise wouldn't have that time of year. It doesn't look like that's going to be the case.

I set it to record, because I think it will look amazing on TV. I'll admit, when this was first announced I thought it sounded like a fantastic idea (from a Vegas perspective), but I think it's turning out to be a better idea on paper than in practice.

I'm 100% clueless about F1, so I'll let the real F1 fans weigh in with their thoughts about the actual race.

I didn't record it..

You literally didn't miss anything. The highlights package is longer than the actual cars-on-track time was for FP1. Practice 2 started at 0230 local(!), and was bumped up to 90 minutes to make up for some lost track time. It was uneventful, surprisingly.

That could have been ALOT worse! Imagine if it had hurt Sainz!??

For real. Remember when the drain came up and DESTROYED a Haas a few seasons ago? I wish I knew how to embed that video I shared with you guys of Sainz running it over. I'm guessing that Ocon ran over the lid afterwards. You can see it skipping down the street after it finally comes out from under the Ferrari. Can you imagine if it bounced back up into the air? That could easily kill a driver if it hit them on the helmet -- and the halo wouldn't be able to do much for something like that.

My concern is that F1 pretty much told Ferrari, "Wow, sucks to be you. Here's a 10 place grid penalty as an extra insult!". I hope that every single other team is coming to Ferrari's defense in this one; not because I'm a Ferrari fan, but because the precedent has now been set by F1. If it can happen to Ferrari, it can happen to any other team out there and they'll be stuck with the bill and the penalties. I'd defend Red Bull and Merc just as fervently if it were them in this situation. Any car out there could have been the one to run it over at that time.

I don't follow F1, but I am very much a Las Vegas enthusiast. This event has not gone as planned on a number of levels. When it was first announced, hotel rates skyrocketed for race weekend anticipating a huge demand. I just checked, and I can get rooms on the Strip right now for this weekend for less than $200/night. Some trade shows cause rates to go higher than that. Yes, the center Strip luxury properties are expensive and very full, but they usually are anyway on the weekend. The resurfacing of the Strip and construction of grandstands, safety barriers, etc. has made it very difficult to navigate the major tourist areas of the city. My wife and I were out there three weeks ago and every bartender/dealer/cabbie/server we asked about it said they couldn't wait for it to be over. I'd heard that one of the reasons they decided to do it in mid-November is because that was typically a slow time, and that the potential influx of fans coming in for the race could result in a spike of tourism revenue that they otherwise wouldn't have that time of year. It doesn't look like that's going to be the case.

I set it to record, because I think it will look amazing on TV. I'll admit, when this was first announced I thought it sounded like a fantastic idea (from a Vegas perspective), but I think it's turning out to be a better idea on paper than in practice.

I'm 100% clueless about F1, so I'll let the real F1 fans weigh in with their thoughts about the actual race.

Your take sounds pretty much in line with everything I've heard so far from residents, visitors, and spectators, alike. Even most of the drivers don't want to be there.

From a really good friend in LV:

"Its pure hell. But it's veen like this for over a year now. So many roads were closed for construction. Traffic detours have made it impossible to get to many places. Some of the roads are down to 1 lane because of the bleachers and protection walls. If you work on the strip, you have to leave 90 minutes early for work, mostly for distant parking and havi g to take the metro train. Can't wait for this to be over."

For real. Remember when the drain came up and DESTROYED a Haas a few seasons ago? I wish I knew how to embed that video I shared with you guys of Sainz running it over. I'm guessing that Ocon ran over the lid afterwards. You can see it skipping down the street after it finally comes out from under the Ferrari. Can you imagine if it bounced back up into the air? That could easily kill a driver if it hit them on the helmet -- and the halo wouldn't be able to do much for something like that.

My concern is that F1 pretty much told Ferrari, "Wow, sucks to be you. Here's a 10 place grid penalty as an extra insult!".

I saw a report that you could see the ground from inside Sainz's cockpit because of the hole created by the manhole cover!

Since you know F1 rules more than I, as for another scenario, lets say a car gets damaged by a fan breaking into the garage over night and they have to repair it before the race, if they have to replace parts under the penalty rules, would the FIA still tell them to suck it and give them a grid penalty too?

I saw a report that you could see the ground from inside Sainz's cockpit because of the hole created by the manhole cover!

Since you know F1 rules more than I, as for another scenario, lets say a car gets damaged by a fan breaking into the garage over night and they have to repair it before the race, if they have to replace parts under the penalty rules, would the FIA still tell them to suck it and give them a grid penalty too?
I do not know the answer to that. From the way the stewards said there are no provisions providing for a situation such as this, I'd have to venture a guess that said team would just be out of luck, as with the Sainz situation. I really don't know, though.

So who do I bet on in the LV Grand Prix?
Scott Dixon?
I'm so out of this sport. The last guy I remember was Mario Andretti... and his Son Michael.

ETA... yeah, Dixon isn't racing. Help me find a Driver.

Last edited:
So who do I bet on in the LV Grand Prix?
Scott Dixon?
I'm so out of this sport. The last guy I remember was Mario Andretti... and his Son Michael.

ETA... yeah, Dixon isn't racing. Help me find a Driver.
For realsies? Cash money?

Verstappen or Leclerc. I imagine that one or both of the Merc drivers will do ok -- probably top 5 unless taken out in an accident. If you want to take the long shot with the best shot, Lando Norris or Fernando Alonso.

This one is hard to button down, as it is a brand new track that none of the drivers have ever driven on before in any series. I think right now you have to go off of season history. Red Bull has been miles ahead of the rest of the field all season. The Ferraris were quickest in practice tonight, but qualifying and race place are two different things. What are the parameters of your bets?

For realsies? Cash money?

Verstappen or Leclerc. I imagine that one or both of the Merc drivers will do ok -- probably top 5 unless taken out in an accident. If you want to take the long shot with the best shot, Lando Norris or Fernando Alonso.

This one is hard to button down, as it is a brand new track that none of the drivers have ever driven on before in any series. I think right now you have to go off of season history. Red Bull has been miles ahead of the rest of the field all season. The Ferraris were quickest in practice tonight, but qualifying and race place are two different things. What are the parameters of your bets?
Hey Nick. What I see are....

Top 3
1700262559649.png

Top 6 finishes.
1700262627601.png

Top 10
1700262712757.png

There is also a both cars in top 6
1700262467013.png

The weekend is certainly not off to a good start. It's been interesting to follow all the driver's remarks about Las Vegas. Max doesn't realize he is fully in the entertainment business.