• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone follow Formula 1?

That was an interesting result. I'm glad to see Haas back in the game - I was no fan of Mazepin (or Russia's recent actions), but thought firing him because of his nationality was kind of a dick move, probably his link to his backing had something to do with that decision, as well. Firing him for being a poor driver would have been simple, otherwise. But it sure worked out great for them putting Magnussen back in the car.

Red Bull must be reeling. And McLaren. I hope Ferrari (and the partner cars) can continue to perform, I'd love to see a 3-way battle at the top for a change.

Going to try and get into it this season.
Geeking out on the tech in the cars certainly helps.

That was an interesting result. I'm glad to see Haas back in the game - I was no fan of Mazepin (or Russia's recent actions), but thought firing him because of his nationality was kind of a dick move, probably his link to his backing had something to do with that decision, as well. Firing him for being a poor driver would have been simple, otherwise. But it sure worked out great for them putting Magnussen back in the car.

Red Bull must be reeling. And McLaren. I hope Ferrari (and the partner cars) can continue to perform, I'd love to see a 3-way battle at the top for a change.
Damn, just saw this. I think that Haas was looking for any reason to get rid of Nikita Mazepin, and since his salary came directly from the Uralkali sponsorship money, it couldn't have been more convenient. His father wanted his hand and voice in everything that involved Nikita and the team, which was no secret even before DTS this year. I'm not sure if Gene got in bed with the Devil as a means to sell the team to Dimitry in the future, but all accounts and rumors from last season sound like Haas regretted it pretty quickly and this opportunity to cut ties was more of a relief than a crisis.

I feel a little bad for Nikita, as a person. He was in an untenable situation -- he couldn't say no when his daddy virtually bought him a Formula 1 race team. He was in so far over his head it's not even humorous anymore. With a few more seasons of lower-level development, he might have had a shot. IIRC, he only had one season in F2, no? Unless you are winning the championship, it's usually seasons two and three where the F1 hopefuls really stand out. Maz had the money to buy him a seat at that point, but Papa Maz wanted to rush things. Neither of the Mazepins did anything to help themselves in the eyes of the public or the team, though, so I'm not sorry to see them gone.

DVR'd the Oz race and watched it this morning when I got up.

Was almost boring how far out the leader got, but good for him. He's an outstanding driver and has a great team.

DVR'd the Oz race and watched it this morning when I got up.

Was almost boring how far out the leader got, but good for him. He's an outstanding driver and has a great team.
Personally, only think it's boring when any other car but a Ferrari gets that sort of lead. :p

The shake up of this year makes it a little more exciting. No more Lewis out to a 5 second lead after 2 laps every race, watching him actually having to battle for position is more entertaining IMHO - and he might enjoy it more than just keeping track of intervals and tire wear. Red Bull better get a handle on their reliability or having one of the top performing cars won't matter. And seeing Ferrari finally claw back to the top after years of suckage is great.

I think I heard them say that George Russell is third in the driver's standings? Edit: Just checked, he's actually 2nd!

There will always be boring races and exciting races, I'm just glad that the predictability is getting a little mix up.

Last edited:
The shake up of this year makes it a little more exciting. No more Lewis out to a 5 second lead after 2 laps every race, watching him actually having to battle for position is more entertaining IMHO - and he might enjoy it more than just keeping track of intervals and tire wear. Red Bull better get a handle on their reliability or having one of the top performing cars won't matter. And seeing Ferrari finally claw back to the top after years of suckage is great.

I think I heard them say that George Russell is third in the driver's standings? Edit: Just checked, he's actually 2nd!

There will always be boring races and exciting races, I'm just glad that the predictability is getting a little mix up.

Couldn't agree more. I am pretty shocked that GR is second. After all the cockiness, he was actually able to back it up. I feel bad for Bottas, but it seems Mercedes made the right decision.

I'm rooting for Verstappen because his win was against Hamilton at his best, but it was still mired in controversary and didn't feel completely deserved. Redbull has some serious issues to get under control. Their cars keep dying at the end of the race. The whole hybrid thing, in the dessert no less, has to be hard tot figure out.

It's easy to root for Leclerc, he's a good dude and races clean.

I'm not the least bit surprised by George Russell. I've told Hayden and Paul before (and maybe in this thread) that I truly believe he's going to be a thorn in Hamilton's side at Merc the way Nico was -- and he's going to win a championship with them, as well.

Though I'm happy to see Ferrari back on top and opening up a lead, I do hope that Mercedes and Red Bull get their stuff together soon. I have no doubt Merc will, as their MO in recent seasons has been to start slow and then make a consistent upward gradient of improvements throughout the season. Red Bull seems at a loss right now as to how to fix the PU for reliability. I hope that Charles continues to pull away with the WDC, but I am in know way already handing him the trophy. Right now, he's one (inevitable) DNF or bad race out of the points and it is a championship battle, again. As much as I want to see Leclerc (or Sainz, for that matter) win the WDC, I think I'm more excited at Ferrari's prospects of winning the Constructor's championship.

GR is absolutely going to be a thorn in Hamilton's side. Hamilton had a great run, but I am truly happy to see he's not making everyone else fight for 2nd every race. This season should be a fun shootout. I agree, once Mercedes gets a handle on their issues and Red Bull fixes the PU, it should be one very exciting season for sure.

As for the Constructors championship, it's going to be hard to catch Ferrari if they keep up with current trends.

So, what did everyone think of Miami? I was pleasantly surprised -- the track was beautiful and seemed well-constructed for a temporary circuit. I was amazed that the race, itself, was as clean as it was. I was expecting several safety car periods and lots of wrecked cars. It was pretty competitive, save for the DRS train that is still a problem. I'd rather Leclerc had won, obviously, but there were some good scraps between the leaders until the more powerful Red Bull was able to pull away. My only complaint was the camera work. There were a lot of overpasses and other visual obstructions that should have been worked out for TV, and it seemed they were going for "dramatic" shots that ended up missing a lot of the action. Overall, I think it's a good addition to the calendar.

I don't know, not really a barn burner if you ask me. The only real passing spots were on the straights under DRS, the normal passing spots like the chicane were just too unforgiving, narrow, and abrupt to see any action. And being a tricky course, seems like so many "incidents", Haas took both Aston Martins out (looks like Stroll still got 10th), Gasly took Norris out (or something, that was a strange crash), bunch of smaller things seemed like.

I am amazed that there wasn't any red flags and just a single safety car? Maybe I'm remembering it worse than it really was.

So, what did everyone think of Miami? I was pleasantly surprised -- the track was beautiful and seemed well-constructed for a temporary circuit. I was amazed that the race, itself, was as clean as it was. I was expecting several safety car periods and lots of wrecked cars. It was pretty competitive, save for the DRS train that is still a problem. I'd rather Leclerc had won, obviously, but there were some good scraps between the leaders until the more powerful Red Bull was able to pull away. My only complaint was the camera work. There were a lot of overpasses and other visual obstructions that should have been worked out for TV, and it seemed they were going for "dramatic" shots that ended up missing a lot of the action. Overall, I think it's a good addition to the calendar.
As someone who was at the race, I found it to be exhilarating. for a few minutes before the heat pounded away. It was brutally hot and for some reason, they weren't running the giant fans in many of the tents. Also, I had a really bad taste in my mouth after paying so much and being told I would have access to many of the areas, but when we arrived, we didn't even have assigned seats. They sold us standing room tickets only for $800/each. Also, they ha that old mobile home green rug stuff everywhere, seemed pretty cheap. But OMG, the sound those cars make, there's nothing like it. The feeling I got inside was like a little kid at Disney world. It was something magical.

I watched the race replay a few days later. I thought it was pretty boring. The track needs to be designed for more overtakes. I was surprised with the heat levels, that the red bull cars were able to make it to the end. Honestly, it seemed like the only one overtaking at all was George Russell and they never showed him making the progress he made.

I don't know, not really a barn burner if you ask me. The only real passing spots were on the straights under DRS, the normal passing spots like the chicane were just too unforgiving, narrow, and abrupt to see any action. And being a tricky course, seems like so many "incidents", Haas took both Aston Martins out (looks like Stroll still got 10th), Gasly took Norris out (or something, that was a strange crash), bunch of smaller things seemed like.

I am amazed that there wasn't any red flags and just a single safety car? Maybe I'm remembering it worse than it really was.
Vettel blamed himself for that incident, but I hated seeing him out of another race. Like you, I was amazed there were no major crashes resulting in more SC or even red flags.

As someone who was at the race, I found it to be exhilarating. for a few minutes before the heat pounded away. It was brutally hot and for some reason, they weren't running the giant fans in many of the tents. Also, I had a really bad taste in my mouth after paying so much and being told I would have access to many of the areas, but when we arrived, we didn't even have assigned seats. They sold us standing room tickets only for $800/each. Also, they ha that old mobile home green rug stuff everywhere, seemed pretty cheap. But OMG, the sound those cars make, there's nothing like it. The feeling I got inside was like a little kid at Disney world. It was something magical.

I watched the race replay a few days later. I thought it was pretty boring. The track needs to be designed for more overtakes. I was surprised with the heat levels, that the red bull cars were able to make it to the end. Honestly, it seemed like the only one overtaking at all was George Russell and they never showed him making the progress he made.
Wow, that's nuts. I knew prices were insane for the race, but standing room only/GA? I'm not sure who the blame falls on for that -- be it F1 or the track organizers/promoters. Either way, that's unacceptable if they want to grow the fanbase in the USoA. Still pretty cool that you were there. As others have mentioned, was it the humidity that was making the drivers complain as they did? I mean, sure, it was toasty and the sun was out, but they regularly race in locations that have much hotter ambient and track temps. Perhaps F1 should consider making this a night race?

Frist, I agree with you Nick, the track was clean looking and constructed well for being a parking lot (not a car park you dang Europeans ;) ) But I also thought the race was a little boring, there was not alot of passing or chances to. I was really hoping for a camera solely focused on the mermaid pool, that would have been a nice distraction!!

As for your experience @Rope a Dope , that sucks! I would have been pissed paying that much and not even having access to what you were told you would let alone not having some cooling fans on! I can't imagine that humidity and having no air flow.
Was this your first F1 race? Were the tickets just for race day or all weekend, Did you buy them third party or direct from TM? I am going to Austin this year and I bought 3-day pass GA tickets, cost just over $100 per person per day; that also includes access to the concerts Friday and Saturday night. But I have some research to do on best places to be for GA access areas. Hopefully since this was Miami's first year, they will work out some of those issues, for sure reach out to them and let them know your issues. BUT if you bought them 3rd party and not direct, that might be some of the issues of what you were told vs. got??

When we went to COTA it was the 1st year open. I was gifted tickets to a pair of seats in the grandstand between turns 15 and 16, chairs with backs and armrests. Close to the entry gate and close to the beer/food vending behind the amphitheater. I did buy parking passes for lot F since we drove down. Parking was about $60/day back then. We walked a whole lot of the track Saturday, the hill near Turn 1 was extremely packed/popular. It's a high point and you can see a bunch of the entire track from there. There's a lot of open grass area from 6 to 11, but back then there wasn't really any vending out there. And you couldn't bring an ice chest or anything in, they even made me finish my morning cocktail before passing through the gate.

Where we were, we could have seen all the way up the back straight to Turn 11, but all the track support semis blocked that view. We could see the cars just as they got to Turn 12, then make their way through 15 and under the footbridge. Luckily there was a Jumbotron right across from our seats, so we were pretty good considering.

Wow, that's nuts. I knew prices were insane for the race, but standing room only/GA? I'm not sure who the blame falls on for that -- be it F1 or the track organizers/promoters. Either way, that's unacceptable if they want to grow the fanbase in the USoA. Still pretty cool that you were there. As others have mentioned, was it the humidity that was making the drivers complain as they did? I mean, sure, it was toasty and the sun was out, but they regularly race in locations that have much hotter ambient and track temps. Perhaps F1 should consider making this a night race?
I'm not sure who the blame is on either, most likely the organizers as they're trying to recoup as much as possible for the large investment in the track design. The owner of the Dolphins (and the Stadium) Stephen Ross is known for maximizing profits over experience, hence why we haven't had a playoff contending football team in forever.

The humidity is to blame, 100%. I grew up here in South Florida and have been stationed in Iraq. In the summer in Florida, it never gets hotter than 98 degrees. In Iraq, it got up to 130 a few times. However, because of the humidity, the Miami heat will melt you more than the desert heat. I wore a black 3 piece suit with steel body armor in Iraq. I could go all day over there. But in Miami, it shorts and a t-shirt, I can barely make it an hour or two in the sun at peak heat and humidity. Even at night, it's like a warm hair dryer blowing at you.

As for your experience @Rope a Dope , that sucks! I would have been pissed paying that much and not even having access to what you were told you would let alone not having some cooling fans on! I can't imagine that humidity and having no air flow.
Was this your first F1 race? Were the tickets just for race day or all weekend, Did you buy them third party or direct from TM? I am going to Austin this year and I bought 3-day pass GA tickets, cost just over $100 per person per day; that also includes access to the concerts Friday and Saturday night. But I have some research to do on best places to be for GA access areas. Hopefully since this was Miami's first year, they will work out some of those issues, for sure reach out to them and let them know your issues. BUT if you bought them 3rd party and not direct, that might be some of the issues of what you were told vs. got??
Yes, this was my first F1 race but not my first race. I have been to over 30 races in my life (Karts, mini trucks, NASCAR). I bought the tickets directly through the event organizers. I tried to buy day 1 but they sold out immediately at $1,200 for a 3 day pass at the very cheapest. They called me about a month later because I was on a waiting list and said they're adding more capacity at $800 for race day and $300 for practice day....per person. My dad was super excited so I bought two tickets for race day. When I received all of the info, it said we would have access to half of the experiences including the hard rock beach club and a lot more. That was a blatant lie. They had people checking tickets at every single entrance and nobody was allowed to stand on the bridge stairs to watch either. It was pretty miserable and I felt like I let my dad down by not shelling out the extra $400 per person.... but I'm not even sure that would have allowed us access to experiences.

$100 for a 3 day pass???? I could have done that with hotel and flights for a lot cheaper. I might look into it if they're not sold out already. You may want to call and ask if that includes assigned seats. Mine did not. I'm thinking about doing the Vegas one next year, that looks very cool.

Yes, this was my first F1 race but not my first race. I have been to over 30 races in my life (Karts, mini trucks, NASCAR). I bought the tickets directly through the event organizers. I tried to buy day 1 but they sold out immediately at $1,200 for a 3 day pass at the very cheapest. They called me about a month later because I was on a waiting list and said they're adding more capacity at $800 for race day and $300 for practice day....per person. My dad was super excited so I bought two tickets for race day. When I received all of the info, it said we would have access to half of the experiences including the hard rock beach club and a lot more. That was a blatant lie. They had people checking tickets at every single entrance and nobody was allowed to stand on the bridge stairs to watch either. It was pretty miserable and I felt like I let my dad down by not shelling out the extra $400 per person.... but I'm not even sure that would have allowed us access to experiences.

$100 for a 3 day pass???? I could have done that with hotel and flights for a lot cheaper. I might look into it if they're not sold out already. You may want to call and ask if that includes assigned seats. Mine did not. I'm thinking about doing the Vegas one next year, that looks very cool.

Ya know, this is not the first time I heard similar stories from people who have attended F1 races. I've followed F1 for many years, but never have been to a single race. I would love to go to one, but I feel like in the back of my mind I would feel like I wasted so much money compared to fan experiences at IndyCar car races. You can got to an event like the Indy 500 for a fraction of the cost and have access to many areas including the garages and possibly meet the drivers, team owners, mechanics ect. Now that's not say there aren't areas of the IndyCar event you have to pay high dollar for, cause there, but I feel like for the price of admission and paddock pass, you get lots of access. Even smaller race events that aren't the 500 you would be surprised how much your dollar will take you.

When we were at COTA, GM was just to get into the gate and sit/stand in the grassy areas - but I'm not sure about the main grandstand on the front straight. Any other seating sections required a ticket for that section.

Looked at the site, GM is grass areas only. All the grandstands are by ticket and sold out. Even GM is sold out, but they appear to be holding back some 1 day only passes for race Sunday.

Last edited:

They were just over $100 per person per day...so about $700 for 2 people that weekend (or a 5er of Cohibas). But GA is just that, GA. It does not come with a seat.