• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

ARs, AKs, etc.

Oly AR, AK side folder, AK pistol but fav's would be my Yugo M53 and Browning M1919. They are just too fun to play with. Got a Guryunov mount with a adaptor welded up to mount the 1919. Serling 9mm is cool, no recoil, like a BB gun. Suomi M31 is sick a poor mans Thompson. But the belt feds are too fun to shoot.

I recently got into assault rifles and have completely jumped into the deep end. I recently picked up a Saiga 12 and .410 and a FN PS90, and I'm waiting on a Barrett Rec 7. I was just looking at Saiga-12.com and noticed Swissy was a member there and got his shotgun configured in a similar fashion to how I want mine done. Any other members here with an assault rifle obsession?

Did you get on the Tromix build list? 200 orders in a matter of minutes this year I saw...

I recently got into assault rifles and have completely jumped into the deep end. I recently picked up a Saiga 12 and .410 and a FN PS90, and I'm waiting on a Barrett Rec 7. I was just looking at Saiga-12.com and noticed Swissy was a member there and got his shotgun configured in a similar fashion to how I want mine done. Any other members here with an assault rifle obsession?

...just noticed this. Not sure if you made a deposit, or what caliber you ordered, but there are other 5.56's that I'd consider as well. For example, the guys at Noveske make a pretty nice rifle..... :whistling:

Nothing in the world wrong with a Barrett, however. OK, it will make me jealous but other than that..... :p

Not an AR or AK, but a new toy. Savage MKII. My new squirrel killer.
20120606182957.jpg

I'm a big fan of assuault rifles as well. Nothing too fancy. Bushmaster 20" AR,Romanian AK47, and a nice 1942 M1Garand( not really an assault rifle). I have another AR lower that I need to get an upper for, maybe M4 style. I'd like to get an HK 91 but they're too goddamned pricey. Just another expensive hobby:)

range fun

LOVE my Tromix toy! Funny part of the day was it was a closed day, but as a member I have a keycard to get in. Seems it was LEO qualifying day, as there were many types there, shooting all kinds of stuff. Corrections, DEA, Railroad cops, and more. As they finished qualifying, a number stopped by to watch and talk to me. I even let a few fire off some rounds! More than one was writing down info before they left... :cool:

and...

BTW, added a skeletonized Timney 3# pull trigger to my AR and **OH MY GOD* what a HUGE improvement!! Holy Shit it is sweeeeeeeeeeet now.

...just noticed this. Not sure if you made a deposit, or what caliber you ordered, but there are other 5.56's that I'd consider as well. For example, the guys at Noveske make a pretty nice rifle..... :whistling:

Nothing in the world wrong with a Barrett, however. OK, it will make me jealous but other than that..... :p

I'm getting the 6.8. And yeah, I know there's others. When I first started down this slippery slope, the REC7 was the first one I saw, so I became fixated on it. I will probably end up with more than one but that's gotta be the first.
Thought I would share some pics of a fun afternoon.
2012-05-26_17-10-43_167.jpg

2012-05-26_17-24-59_118.jpg

2012-05-26_17-11-38_447.jpg

Very nice! What are they? Is the second one from the top an Arsenal?

range fun

LOVE my Tromix toy! Funny part of the day was it was a closed day, but as a member I have a keycard to get in. Seems it was LEO qualifying day, as there were many types there, shooting all kinds of stuff. Corrections, DEA, Railroad cops, and more. As they finished qualifying, a number stopped by to watch and talk to me. I even let a few fire off some rounds! More than one was writing down info before they left... :cool:

and...

BTW, added a skeletonized Timney 3# pull trigger to my AR and **OH MY GOD* what a HUGE improvement!! Holy Shit it is sweeeeeeeeeeet now.

Dude, that Saiga is sick! My time can't come quick enough.

Getting a Saiga 223 real soon. Not sure I will ever venture into the AR market.

I wish I could remember all the names of them, They all come from Russia, Hungary.... My friend is an Arms importer so everytime he invites a buch of us over to shoot its never the same as last time. That one on the tri-pod will cut trees down

Question for everyone; since i have the 6.8 (stag model) i was thinking of just getting an upper in .556 and using the same lower but what are peoples opinion on that?
Should i get the upper and shoot 556 with my 6.8 lower or should i just invest a little more and just buy a complete .556?
the 6.8 round is a little expensive to just take and shoot paper with.

You can use the same lower and get a 5.56 upper. You could also save a lot of money and get a .22 upper. Or to really throw a wrench in things, you could get a 5.56 upper and a .22 bolt. That would allow you to shoot both .22 and .223/5.56 out of the same barrel!

Question for everyone; since i have the 6.8 (stag model) i was thinking of just getting an upper in .556 and using the same lower but what are peoples opinion on that?
Should i get the upper and shoot 556 with my 6.8 lower or should i just invest a little more and just buy a complete .556?
the 6.8 round is a little expensive to just take and shoot paper with.

Like, RR said you can use your lower with pretty much anything out there, with the exception of .308 and the 7.62s.

I have a couple of questions

1. Do you reload?

6.8 isn't cheap but reloading can help. Not everyone one has the time or inclination to do it and to be realistic you have to shoot a fair amount to recoupe your intial investment. I've never looked into 6.8 but a quick google search shows that you can reload at about half the cost of factory ammo.

2. Why did you get a 6.8?

Serious question, if you are just shooting paper their are plenty of other rounds out their for cheaper.

3. What is your budget?

RR makes another great point about .22 cal. I have a converison for my 5.56 and it serves its purpose for cheap fun and shooting steel at pistol distances. CMMG new stainless is supposed to be a lot less finicky, but my older model has good days and bad and is somewhat tempermental about what mags it likes.

With the the amount of dedicated mock ARs out there in .22 cal (think MP 15-22 or Mossbergs) I can't see justifying spending $350 plus on a no name upper and then having to switch it to your lower. You figure you are going to be into the $700 plus range for a dedicated .22 cal AR with its own lower.

Conversely you can find 5.56 uppers for around $450 and can find complete rifles for under $800 dollars keep your eyes open. Figure $150-200 bucks for a .22 conversion.

4. What do you want out of your rifle(s)?

Are they just toys your bring out once or twice a year or do you use them once or twice a month? If its the former then I would tell you to stick with the 6.8 as it will take you a long time to see any real savings.

I would also suggest looking into to local carbine shoots and three gun competitions if you haven't already. IDPA is pretty fun for pistol shoots as well, but IMO nothing beats getting to use more than one gun on the course of fire.

While I was searching I found this, I make no claims to reliability and give no recommendations, but if you are looking for something to plink with for cheap it might satisfy your urge.

http://palmettostate...ight-37216.html

I agree. If you're shooting paper, you can get .22 ARs for a good price. The Colt M4 Carbine Tactical Rimfire is under $500 and it's supposed to be a good one.