• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bang for the Buck

gawntrail

Guys,

I'm a big 'bang for the buck guy'. I try to purchase things in life that offer great value, dual purposes, and the such.

I'd like to hear your takes on what you guys feel the best bang for the buck is. This can include cigars, but is most definitely not limited to them. We can delve into any item, TVs, watches, cars, computers, phones, DSL service, clothes, etc.... And you guys that are gurus or self reported experts, please offer up your takes on what you know about. Maybe this could turn into a buyers guide of some kind. Have fun with it no matter what your 'bang for the buck' item might be.

Whatever you list, please include a brief description, the price, where it can be bought, and why you feel its got bang for the buck.

I'll start.

Lincoln LS V8 - 4 Door Sports Sedan (all power, leather, 17" custom wheels, 290 hp, and sleek, very euro lines for an American made). Can be purchase New at your local Linclon-Mercury Dealer, and/or local Ford Fleet Department. Best bet for a used one is to search Autotrader.com.

The Lincoln is loaded with features, performance, and looks. It has a BMW 5 Series feel but with a more affordable price tag. Loaded at ~$42,000 New, a great value at low to mid $20's for one a couple of years old. Maybe not the head turner a BMer, Benz, Lexus, or Jag are, but the bucks you leave in your wallet keeps you feeling warm and fuzzy.

M. Gipson

Interesting thread idea! I'll go next.

If you're an aspiring chef, or just like to cook, spend the money required on good quality high carbon steel knives. And DON'T buy a set with a counter block!! You'll get knives you never use, and a wonderful home for nasty bugs!

My take on best deal is the Henckels 4-star line. These are forged, high-carbon steel blades with a full tang and large, solid handles with a nice contour. Find your local restaurant supply house rather than department stores or kitchen and gift shop. They will have a better selection, and are usually much cheaper.

These are as good as the Professional series, and are much better than the 5-star, which are spanish steel and stamped, not forged. Properly cared for, you'll be able to pass them on to your kids, grandkids, etc.

If you've never used good knives, you are in for a treat. And spend the money for a magnetic knife holder strip. Blades stay clean, edges are protected, and they're in plain view and safely out of the way.

You know Qwantrail, we were having fun on that other "touchy" thread until you went all "Dorothy and the Tinman" on us and brought the cops down. One word for ya Coach: Prozac.

LMAO. You so nuts.
What? Oh. Wrong thread never mind.
NA

Can't resist Bang for the Buck question.

1. Gator's Sister.

2. Padron Fumas cigars. Only Available in Little Havana. Around 80 cents.
3. La Luna LHB. Great Smoke, Great Price.
4. Quinteros or Jose Piedras. Havana Taste, cheaper than most domestics.

SamClemmons said:
You know Qwantrail, we were having fun on that other "touchy" thread until you went all "Dorothy and the Tinman" on us and brought the cops down. One word for ya Coach: Prozac.

LMAO. You so nuts.
What? Oh. Wrong thread never mind.
NA
Did you get my PM SC?

And forgive me, but I'm not hip to the 'Dorothy and the Tinman' reference. What's that about?

And Prozac is for depression, and believe me brother I'm not depressed. Now, some sort of Tranq and/or Qualude........that may do the trick :p

M. Gipson

Can't do it. Never save sent messages. Basically said, "Right on the money QT. When I said, "My drug dealer has been trying to sell me one for years. I wonder if he knows he's not allowed to do that?" I wasn't making light of the discussion I was illustrating a salient point.

Anyways, got a little work to do. Taker easy.

Dorothy and the Tinman... BUwhahahahahahahahahaha! I kill myself. Thaaat's funny!

NA

i had a hooker for 40 bucks yesterday...so what if she was a tunnel bunny. ;) she had all her teeth and hair.

barney

Tunnel bunny?

I guess I'm not up on all the hooker lingo. The question is, why are you? :0

Pilot G2 pens. 2/$2.50. Writes better than a montblanc. Only trouble is people stealing them all the time. If people steal it, it's probably good. Speaking of,

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde. $10. Sooo worth it.

Got a Bodum french press from amazon for $30. I don't buy coffee on the way to work for $4 a cup anymore cause this is so much better.

rknicker said:
Got a Bodum french press from amazon for $30. I don't buy coffee on the way to work for $4 a cup anymore cause this is so much better.
You got me right where I live with that. Home roasted, prepared in a French Press. It just don't get any better. ;) :thumbs:

Good thread idea Gawn!! I am totally with you on being a bang for the buck person. I hate realizing I am in the "diminishing returns zone".

Wascal:
I read somewhere about people using a certain hot air popcorn popper to home roast. You know anything about that? While you are at it is there a good sub $60 burr mill grinder? The fine dust crap and heat from my blade grinder is probably hurting the flavor of my joe a bit.

Bang for buck stogie Padron 2000 M.

Bang for the buck Loudspeakers (stereo) Vandersteen 1C
Bang for the buck Home Theatre Speakers: Axiom Audio

Computer Processor: Barton 2500+

Bang for the buck place to waste time: Target Endcaps! If you have a bit of time to kill, walk a lap around the outer perimeter of the store looking at the clearance displays on the endcaps. This week I scored a bunch of Leatherman tools at 1/2 off! :D Other recent finds were 2 ton jackstands @ 75% off, a 350 watt continuous DC->AC inverter 75% off, a Case Logic CD player case 90% off, etc. I am kind of nuts about this and have a huge pile of nice stuff that I have no use for in the attic above the garage as a result. I will gift them/trade them or if worse comes to worse fleabay them. Probably need to find a 12 step group for this..

Matt

okay, excuse my interruption, but best bang for the buck job:

US Navy, baby!

1. The job matters in the grand scheme (at least they've successfully convinced sailors of that - please don't take it away from them here ;) )

2. Great pay - don't let the nay-sayers fool you. Most people in the service get great pay (except those in the combat zones)

3. I went to 22 coutries and all of my travel (and food if I wanted it) were paid for. Discount tours at nearly every stop too (at least at the stops where we could have fun :p )

4. Voted one of the 10 most prestigious jobs by Life and one other major news mag (can't remember the other one.)

5. it's different every day.

6. You can choose what field you work in and get the training paid for. Don't like it? Change fields easily!

7. Great benefits - medical (although the managed health care system is turning into a dinosaur and this is becoming less valuable everyday because of it). Paid leave. Housing bonus when forced to live on the market. Relocation paid for. Dependents covered on everything.

8. Talk about job security?

9. Every sailor has an impact (however large or small) on the freedom of our families and our national security.

10. I actually often (although certainly not always) enjoy coming to work.

11. I won't make millions. I'd like to, don't get me wrong, but since I'm not, the job is just rewarding enough to offset some of that desire!

12. It looks great to employers when you're back in civilian life (provided you exit on your own accord)

13. Tough to beat the retirement.

I could go on and on, but why?

Here's another one:

Custom Tailored Business Suits

With the decline of the Department Store Tailor and the increase of Tailor shops (a West Coast perspective - you guys in NY City have an abundance of great Tailor Shops) the cost of custom fitted and labled clothing rivals the same quality name brand clothing (Basically Custom Suits for a Men's Warehouse price).

Nordstrom's carries their name brand suits and highline brands for around $600 - $1500 per 2 piece.

I have a tailor that will drive to me, measure me out, and have it ready in a week, + 2 shirts (Solid White and Pinstriped broadcloth w/monograms and tab collars) for $400 (and $50 per add'l trouser - always cuffed - same material, and coordinated colors. He even gets me moisture wicking long sleeved mock turtles for the casual look for $25 bucks each).

Double-Breasted Gaberdine is what I prefer, but I have a few 3 buttons and more conservative 2 button rear vents. Black, Dk Blue, Olive, Camel, and Charcoal Gray (all interhangeable), Window Panes and Shadowed Wide Pin Stripes for spice too. And they all have a tag inside the left breast that reads "Tailored Exclusively for M. Gipson."

Now, I know he doesn't make these from bolts of gaberdine at his shop, but man......he makes a Garment District Suit (and me) look like a million bucks!

Then, I'll make the semi-annual sale at Nordstrom's for the Silk Button-in Trafalger braces (asst prints and colors), solid colored dark socks, bitchin' printed ties, and the Ferragamo kicks (Black and Burgandy) at 33% off (4 pack FOTL Chonies and White t-shirts courtesy of your friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart).

Look into custom tailoring. You will never pay (or have to settle for) a rack suit again.

M. Gipson

gawntrail said:
Here's another one:

Custom Tailored Business Suits

With the decline of the Department Store Tailor and the increase of Tailor shops (a West Coast perspective - you guys in NY City have an abundance of great Tailor Shops) the cost of custom fitted and labled clothing rivals the same quality name brand clothing (Basically Custom Suits for a Men's Warehouse price).

Nordstrom's carries their name brand suits and highline brands for around $600 - $1500 per 2 piece.

I have a tailor that will drive to me, measure me out, and have it ready in a week, + 2 shirts (Solid White and Pinstriped broadcloth w/monograms and tab collars) for $400 (and $50 per add'l trouser - always cuffed - same material, and coordinated colors. He even gets me moisture wicking long sleeved mock turtles for the casual look for $25 bucks each).

Double-Breasted Gaberdine is what I prefer, but I have a few 3 buttons and more conservative 2 button rear vents. Black, Dk Blue, Olive, Camel, and Charcoal Gray (all interhangeable), Window Panes and Shadowed Wide Pin Stripes for spice too. And they all have a tag inside the left breast that reads "Tailored Exclusively for M. Gipson."

Now, I know he doesn't make these from bolts of gaberdine at his shop, but man......he makes a Garment District Suit (and me) look like a million bucks!

Then, I'll make the semi-annual sale at Nordstrom's for the Silk Button-in Trafalger braces (asst prints and colors), solid colored dark socks, bitchin' printed ties, and the Ferragamo kicks (Black and Burgandy) at 33% off (4 pack FOTL Chonies and White t-shirts courtesy of your friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart).

Look into custom tailoring. You will never pay (or have to settle for) a rack suit again.

M. Gipson
And if you ever get a chance to go to Thailand, you'll get three to four times that for the same price. Double in Hong Kong. Great post!

rknicker said:
Pilot G2 pens. 2/$2.50. Writes better than a montblanc. Only trouble is people stealing them all the time. If people steal it, it's probably good. Speaking of,

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde. $10. Sooo worth it.

Try Zebra Sarasa Gel Retractables! 10 pack/$9.98 at Staples.

txmatt said:
Bang for the buck Home Theatre Speakers: Axiom Audio
I've heard many great things about the Axioms but serious "BANG" for the buck belongs to dual SVS subwoofers :thumbs:

Dual SVS?!?!? You trying to blow out your neighbor's windows as well?

If I were going to spend that money on Subwoofers personally, I would do an Infinite Baffle setup. I have perfect access to the top portion of the room's side wall from the atttic (because of the vaulted ceilings in the room), so it would be very easy to use the attic as the "enclosure" for 4 IB subs in a small manifold. Right now I have an Atlantic Tech Sub running with my Axiom L,C,R,LS,RS.

It sounds like you are a bass head, just in case you aren't familiar with IB setups see Here.

Matt

My bang for the buck item is my TFT monitor. I have not once regretted buying it. I will not change back to a regular monitor.

Edit: It's a Hitachi CML174SXW. I've had it for well over a year now.