• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Beat The Summer Heat!

vinnyvega

Instead of bumping an older thread from last year, I figured it would be better to start a new one.

For those of us that do not have a temperature controlled cabinet or a Vinotemp, what are we planning on doing to beat the heat. Up here in Massachusetts, my basement gets up to 76-80 degrees F. I have a 300 count humi that I put in a cooler with a few blue ice packs. It worked last year but was kind of a pain to change out the ice packs every morning. Has anyone tried something with a little less maintenance? Believe it or not, after being here for a year my collection does not necessitate a Vino or cab.

So fellow newbies, any new methods or ideas?

Edit to add: Thanks Gary!

Linky to older thread:
http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...mp;hl=ice+packs

Instead of bumping an older thread from last year, I figured it would be better to start a new one.

For those of us that do not have a temperature controlled cabinet or a Vinotemp, what are we planning on doing to beat the heat. Up here in Massachusetts, my basement gets up to 76-80 degrees F. I have a 300 count humi that I put in a cooler with a few blue ice packs. It worked last year but was kind of a pain to change out the ice packs every morning. Has anyone tried something with a little less maintenance? Believe it or not, after being here for a year my collection does not necessitate a Vino or cab.

So fellow newbies, any new methods or ideas?

You could linky to the old one! :D

I just keep my house at 68ish.

I have a closet with a floor vent, so I placed my coolers right beside it and turned the air that way. Temperature is holding great . . . having humidity problems though, as discussed in my thread. :(

I have a couple of large humi's. A old, non working wine-a-dor and a cooler. To keep the temp down, I put a double bagged cool pac inside each in the morning. Seems to work. The temp stays between 63 to 69 degrees.

- KiltLad

I think once I move out (looking at apartments, so no basement), I'll just stick my humidors in the bottom of my closet.

*Crosses fingers*

Vin,

I'll offer up space in my wine cooler for ya, if you don't mind keeping your stash in Pawtucket. Be real handy for Paw Sox games. :whistling:

For those of us that do not have a temperature controlled cabinet or a Vinotemp, what are we planning on doing to beat the heat.

I think your answer is right there. The $150 or so that a Vinotemp will cost you is cheap insurance IMO.

- Tim

I live here in Sacramento, CA and it get's pretty hot here in the summer... I have the fan on medium to high all day in my room and have my cool'dor sitting in my closet. It's been working well.

I bought a 5000 btu window a/c from Walmart for about $150. End of problem. :D

I have thought about that. Let me know what your electric bill is going to be. :(

Living in South Louisiana as I do, of course we have a Central A/C unit. For 10 years I have paid a higher Elec bill from keeping the house at around 75 because of the cigars. Since I began using the Window unit I can now leave the Central Unit at a higher temp, close the bedroom door where the cabinet hummi is and put the window unit at about 72. The result has been a lower Elec bill.

I have always read and heard that the humidors need to be at around 70 humidity. I never even thought about what the room temp needs to be. What's a good room temp?

Oh, a question for anyone with a Vinotemp--how energy efficient is it? I plan on moving into a one-bedroom apartment before the end of summer, and I'd like to keep down all costs as much as possible. Will having a Vinotemp plugged in all the time contribute to a noticeable rise in my electricity bill?

I have a 300 count humi that I put in a cooler with a few blue ice packs. It worked last year but was kind of a pain to change out the ice packs every morning.

Always thought this would work, but this was the first I'm reading of someone actually successfullly trying it.

I have always read and heard that the humidors need to be at around 70 humidity. I never even thought about what the room temp needs to be. What's a good room temp?

Was this such a newbie question, that it had to be unanswered or ignored?

Anywhere from 60 to 70 max. I keep mine around 66-67 degrees F in the fall/winter/spring. In the summer I keep the temperature in my humi around 63-64 Degrees F with ice packs. But the trick is to not let the temperature swing from the 60's to mid- high 70's. My basements gets very warm so if I keep a consistent cycle with my ice packs I will not have more than a 3-4 degree swing. Hope that answers your question. :thumbs:

People miss posts, not a big deal. Just because you post a question, doesn't mean you'll always get an answer.

Anywhere from 60 to 70 max. I keep mine around 66-67 degrees F in the fall/winter/spring. In the summer I keep the temperature in my humi around 63-64 Degrees F with ice packs. But the trick is to not let the temperature swing from the 60's to mid- high 70's. My basements gets very warm so if I keep a consistent cycle with my ice packs I will not have more than a 3-4 degree swing. Hope that answers your question. :thumbs:

It did indeed! Thanks Vinny :)

People miss posts, not a big deal. Just because you post a question, doesn't mean you'll always get an answer.

I understand that. I run a forum. It was just that it was an active thread, and then i posted the question...then it got really quiet. lol

Anyways thanks for the responses :)