• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bird Watchers

My mom was an elementary school teacher and an avid bird watcher. She ALWAYS taught about birds…kind of as a stress relief for the kids, kind of a way to get students calm and refocused, kind of as a science lesson. Three times a week, five minutes or so about a bird. So many of her students became bird watchers because of her doing that in the classroom, it’s a bit of a lasting tribute.
Man could we use some more teachers like your mom in today's world!

Been enjoying taking photos of our feathered friends with the camera momma bought me for Christmas. Hope you don’t mind if I share them - love to capture their beauty and it does no good to leave them in the camera…

My mom was an elementary school teacher and an avid bird watcher. She ALWAYS taught about birds…kind of as a stress relief for the kids, kind of a way to get students calm and refocused, kind of as a science lesson. Three times a week, five minutes or so about a bird. So many of her students became bird watchers because of her doing that in the classroom, it’s a bit of a lasting tribute.

I’m fortunate to live in a heavily wooded area with a free flowing stream right by it. My cigars on the deck are often accompanied by woodpeckers, hummingbirds, hawks, and owls. It’s great. Honestly, it’s one of the things I like the most about my house!

I noticed an increase in the number of eastern bluebirds that we have. They used to be a rather rare sighting but they’re everywhere now. Wrens are always around now, they’re fun to watch when they decide to have a wasp or two for dinner!
My current attachment to bird watching came from my wife taking away my morning TV privileges. She forced me to turn off the news that really got me fired up for the day, and stare outside at the bird feeders.

As I started to see a pretty wide variety of birds showing up, it captured my interest. And now I can’t even tell you the latest news because it no longer interests me. It really is calming to have a nice cup of coffee and stare at the birds outside.

I think there’s definitely value and a need for what your mother was doing! Now if we could just get those youngsters off of social media and staring out the window…. 🤣

We have two Eastern Blue Bird boxes out and thought I’d check on them today. One has already hatched baby bluebirds inside, and the other has a Nuthatch sitting on a clutch of eggs inside. When I peeked in, I could only see the eggs. Imagine my surprise when I looked at the second picture (after turning on my flash) to see a rather uncomfortable looking bird inside.
C717D912-A3DA-4EDC-8368-EFB72E14DE9D.jpeg4BF965AB-1CF3-403C-9395-A97DBF390893.jpegF72A51E1-6477-42D5-9A57-9245B5CE2C0D.jpeg50AFE72A-AC74-4E05-A1C5-97063068A430.jpeg