• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bird Watchers

I've always had a SLR - and recently got into DSLR. I started with the Canon EOS Rebel T7, switched to a Nikon D5300 and now have a Nikon D7100. I'm eyeing a mirrorless camera, but not yet willing to invest $2500 in a body only when I'd also have to swap out the lenses. And momma is pretty firm on no more cameras (for now)...

I do love eBay for my cameras and lenses - I get some pretty incredible deals if I'm careful (sometimes you do have to read the fine print)!
I got a D5100 recently with a couple lenses for $200. I know it probably doesn't compare to newer ones, but considering I'm still trying to learn how to use it, it takes amazing photos.

I got a D5100 recently with a couple lenses for $200. I know it probably doesn't compare to newer ones, but considering I'm still trying to learn how to use it, it takes amazing photos.
That's a great price and a very nice camera. I like the Nikon's better than the Canon (I've owned a lot of Canon's over the years). I understand the sensor on the Nikon's is a wee bit better - not massively better, but I did notice the Canon shots were a bit softer. I'm told there's a filter on the Canon to create that very light softness. I happen to like the images as crisp as possible and I've been happier with the Nikon photos. I believe based on what I've seen - if you get into the higher end cameras it's much less of an issue. All have pretty much equally nice sensors.

The key (as I understand) is spending the big bucks on the lenses - that will yield the best results. I have some very nice lenses I have picked up here and there, but I'm currently saving up my pennies for a much better lens (looking at a 500mm telephoto). The closeup photo of the European Finch was shot with a 300mm. The VR (image stabilizer) lenses are a must, especially shooting at a lower shutter speed or at longer distances. It's made a world of difference in my photos.

I am shooting all of my pictures in raw mode. If you process the photos through something like Photoshop/Light Room or a similar post-processing software using a raw image retains the original version in unspoiled form. You can always create a compressed image (e.g. jpg) afterwards as a by-product of the image processing and keep all of the original values. I especially like the raw images if I plan to use the photo in a large print - it keeps the image sharp regardless of the size.

That's a great price and a very nice camera. I like the Nikon's better than the Canon (I've owned a lot of Canon's over the years). I understand the sensor on the Nikon's is a wee bit better - not massively better, but I did notice the Canon shots were a bit softer. I'm told there's a filter on the Canon to create that very light softness. I happen to like the images as crisp as possible and I've been happier with the Nikon photos. I believe based on what I've seen - if you get into the higher end cameras it's much less of an issue. All have pretty much equally nice sensors.

The key (as I understand) is spending the big bucks on the lenses - that will yield the best results. I have some very nice lenses I have picked up here and there, but I'm currently saving up my pennies for a much better lens (looking at a 500mm telephoto). The closeup photo of the European Finch was shot with a 300mm. The VR (image stabilizer) lenses are a must, especially shooting at a lower shutter speed or at longer distances. It's made a world of difference in my photos.

I am shooting all of my pictures in raw mode. If you process the photos through something like Photoshop/Light Room or a similar post-processing software using a raw image retains the original version in unspoiled form. You can always create a compressed image (e.g. jpg) afterwards as a by-product of the image processing and keep all of the original values. I especially like the raw images if I plan to use the photo in a large print - it keeps the image sharp regardless of the size.
Yep, I'm taking everything in raw. Will get a nicer lens at some point, but the 55-200 is working well for now. Mostly taking LAX pictures at this point, but will take it with me on hikes this summer.

ETA: Haven't tried using Photoshop or anything to mess with them yet.

There was a hawk of some sort posing for me on a fence post yesterday and I was really bummed I didn't have the camera with me.

Where do you live? I had to look up this European Goldfinch. Range is “Eurasia. Introduced Bermuda. A colony established on Long Island is now extirpated. Escapes are still reported.” Had to also look up extirpated which basically means exterminated so it sounds like they are just as invasive as Parakeets. Still, this is something I’ve never seen and it is a beautiful bird and great photo, thanks!

Where do you live? I had to look up this European Goldfinch. Range is “Eurasia. Introduced Bermuda. A colony established on Long Island is now extirpated. Escapes are still reported.” Had to also look up extirpated which basically means exterminated so it sounds like they are just as invasive as Parakeets. Still, this is something I’ve never seen and it is a beautiful bird and great photo, thanks!
Interesting question! European Goldfinches are not native to the Chicago area where I live (near the Wisconsin border). My understating is in the early 2000’s an avian importer inadvertently released a number of them wile they were in quarantine. Since then they have thrived and seen throughout the middle west of the US (northern Illinois, southern Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and even as far as parts of western Pennsylvania. From everything I’m reading they are not actually affecting the ecology of this area, and though fairly rare for bird watchers are a very welcome sight.

It is a great phot isn’t it!

Geez @ggiese , your making it look like the bird society yearly spectacular. Great stuff.
I can either keep the pictures in my camera, or share them. Thanks for liking them and I’ll do my best to keep them coming.

I’ve loved playing with the camera to see what it will do. And I’m starting to combine taking pictures with taking nature walks - a win-win. Momma just authorized me to buy a 200-500mm lens for my camera - and I already have the 2X converter. Can’t wait to see what that will lead to! Just went out to a local forest preserver the other day and saw some shots I would have loved to take, but my 300mm lens was just not enough (two red rail hawks circling we’re pretty cool, but just out of range). Stay tuned! 😎

There was a hawk of some sort posing for me on a fence post yesterday and I was really bummed I didn't have the camera with me.
God I hate when that happens. I keep my camera near my front window with a fully charged battery so I can grab those shots. In fact I have a couple photos of hawks in the front yard that I was able to quickly grab before they flew off. A couple of weeks ago my wife screamed out to grab the camera while a bald eagle flew over the house. OMG it was so impressive looking and I’m so bummed I could not share it with everyone…

What is funny is the wife is the one that seems to always spot the unusual. When the European Goldfinches first showed up she dragged me out of the shower to see them and take pictures. I just gotta go with it…. 🤣

God I hate when that happens. I keep my camera near my front window with a fully charged battery so I can grab those shots. In fact I have a couple photos of hawks in the front yard that I was able to quickly grab before they flew off. A couple of weeks ago my wife screamed out to grab the camera while a bald eagle flew over the house. OMG it was so impressive looking and I’m so bummed I could not share it with everyone…

What is funny is the wife is the one that seems to always spot the unusual. When the European Goldfinches first showed up she dragged me out of the shower to see them and take pictures. I just gotta go with it…. 🤣
This one was along the side of the road, but has me contemplating bringing the camera along more often.