• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blackstone vs grill

How do you keep the juices on the griddle for basting? Do you tilt it in such a way they don’t all run down the grease trap? I usually do mine on a cast iron pan on the stove if doing that way, but that’s different in that everything is contained right there.
I have used a cast iron skillet on the griddle, if I want to really bast something. If I am using just the griddle, I have a little cast iron skillet that is the size of one cup that I leave on the griddle to melt butter in and use it to butter things.

I have used a cast iron skillet on the griddle, if I want to really bast something. If I am using just the griddle, I have a little cast iron skillet that is the size of one cup that I leave on the griddle to melt butter in and use it to butter things.
Do you ever light the oil/butter for the flash effect like they do at Hibachi Japan? Might be a nice final touch for charring?

I use a Firedisc most of the time now for my grilling. Similar concept to the Blackstone/griddle; basically like a big cast iron skillet! And burgers and steaks turn out better than on the grill. You can still get char on them, by turning up the heat and letting it "fry" a bit in the center.

If I'm not mistaken a smash burger gets charred on both sides and they are done on a flat top. I'm looking at the Camp Chef portable two burner with the griddle for my rv.

I have a blackstone 30 and it certainly is great at lots of things, but I didn't replace my grill with it. Hibachi, breakfast stuff, cheese steaks, most any kind of chicken that you want seasoned up really good: that's where the blackstone really shines. Heck, I did some salmon on the blackstone that was incredible.

As far as burgers or steaks, I prefer the grill or a cast iron skillet on the stove. Again, that's personal preference, but on my setups the best, most even preparation of steaks and burgers is on anything but the blackstone. And on a windy day...which we seem to have in abundance...maintaining an even heating of steak is dang near impossible for me on the blackstone. Like I said, it is great for lots of things, but at least for me it is not a great all-around cooking device.

If I'm not mistaken a smash burger gets charred on both sides and they are done on a flat top. I'm looking at the Camp Chef portable two burner with the griddle for my rv.
I wanted to point you to the blackstone tailgator like I have, but after looking at the camp chef and experiencing the tailgator, I think I’d go the camp chef route.

I love my tailgator but in windy conditions it suffers from a lack of panels around the sides. Some have made their own and say it helps. But when I look at the camp chef I see they have what appears to be a “surround” around the burner. The tailgator does not, though the full griddles by blackstone are much better blocked off than mine is.

It’s not that wind blows it out or anything, but it moves the flame enough that the heat isn’t concentrated enough onto the griddle (or the grill) and it never gets hot. When it’s a nice day or fairly mild wind it works fine.

I wanted to point you to the blackstone tailgator like I have, but after looking at the camp chef and experiencing the tailgator, I think I’d go the camp chef route.

I love my tailgator but in windy conditions it suffers from a lack of panels around the sides. Some have made their own and say it helps. But when I look at the camp chef I see they have what appears to be a “surround” around the burner. The tailgator does not, though the full griddles by blackstone are much better blocked off than mine is.

It’s not that wind blows it out or anything, but it moves the flame enough that the heat isn’t concentrated enough onto the griddle (or the grill) and it never gets hot. When it’s a nice day or fairly mild wind it works fine.
Spot on description of some of the faults of the blackstone!

My son's Blackstone has a canvas cover and we often found the grill covered in mouse poop. I made a aluminum diamond place cover/lid to keep critters out. I store my toaster upside down for the same reason, roasted mouse poop doesn't sound good!

I have exactly this same issue with my blackstone.

I really like Camp Chef products (I have their Woodwind 24 smoker, their 14" portable system with the griddle, 1 burner BBQ & pizza oven), but not sure about the flat top grill. I don't like that it doesn't have a lid like the newer Blackstones do. Using the portable griddle setup I have for camping is good for breakfasts and snack type foods (grilled cheese, hot dogs, sausages) but trying to cook burgers, chicken or steak on it is a bit hard without a lid.

Someone (me) needs to invent a three station, semi-circle, unit. Grill-counter-griddle-counter-smoker.

They would sell 100 of them just to CP!

I'm sure you could build it. Looks like something that would take up a good amount of room though, 36" griddle, 36" grill, 36" smoker, and 2 36" counters?
True, but the components don't need to be 36". And for someone who has three separate units, or even two, it could be more effective. I am going to give some serious thought to making the system totally modular. You buy the components you want and they all hook together.

Go big or go home!

The above information is proprietary and copyrighted by Hartman & Associates.:cool:

True, but the components don't need to be 36". And for someone who has three separate units, or even two, it could be more effective. I am going to give some serious thought to making the system totally modular. You buy the components you want and they all hook together.

Go big or go home!

The above information is proprietary and copyrighted by Hartman & Associates.:cool:

Building your own would be a fun project. I have been wanting to do something similar for a few years, but I don't have backyard that would allow for something like that.

If you're doing the "Go big or go home" why would you settle for anything less than 36" grills?

Building your own would be a fun project. I have been wanting to do something similar for a few years, but I don't have backyard that would allow for something like that.

If you're doing the "Go big or go home" why would you settle for anything less than 36" grills?
Boy! You are fixated on 36":D

I was thinking more along the lines of patenting a "system" rather than building one unit. Go big or go home is a reference to "having it all". 36" is not necessary for each component if you have it all.

My brother-n-law has the blackstone then a webber and a prograne grill but the blackstone can be great when making big things like a stir fry or breakfast. Even burgers for a kids bday party. can get way more burgers on the blackstone than the grill. yes diff sear but some of the best burgers in the world come off a griddle, and still have room for hotdogs on the end. i think its one of those you should have all options. even if you just do a large cast iron flat that goes over coals

Boy! You are fixated on 36":D

I was thinking more along the lines of patenting a "system" rather than building one unit. Go big or go home is a reference to "having it all". 36" is not necessary for each component if you have it all.

You're probably right, with all 3 you wouldn't necessarily need 36" for all items. You could use the grill and griddle at the same time depending on how many you're cooking for.

You're probably right, with all 3 you wouldn't necessarily need 36" for all items. You could use the grill and griddle at the same time depending on how many you're cooking for.
Exactly! Modularity would allow you to select 36 or 24 inch cooking components based on your typical environment. Based on your outdoor area, you could configure it in any shape or size.

I am now accepting applications for financiers.🙂