• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

Good guess on it being a Fuente. When you started to say it tasted like an Opus I thought you might figure it out. Most people go for the Carlitos but I like the Don Carlos...and it doesn't hurt it's from 2006. :)

Beautiful dog, btw!

Good guess on it being a Fuente. When you started to say it tasted like an Opus I thought you might figure it out. Most people go for the Carlitos but I like the Don Carlos...and it doesn't hurt it's from 2006. :)

Beautiful dog, btw!

Thanks. I was close but so confused.

I think the one GOF I had before this was a 2007 Carlito up at Casa Fuente. This one was great, but in a much different way.

I just got the package yesterday and luckily there was a HERF that day so I burned the mystery stick right away.

Upon the initial inspection it had that Cubanescque look to it. Triple Cap, Some grassy notes when I smelled the foot, and the wrapper had that color to it.

001.jpg

As I started smoking it the flavor profile definetely confirmed my initial view. At this point the question was what brand is it. The vitola and the profile had me guessing Hoyo or Fonseca

003.jpg

To be honest as I was smoking this down to the nub it was exibiting notes of both of those brands. But at the end I would have to say Hoyo and the vitola Petit Robusto

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

And Surprise Surprise

005.jpg

Well you got me good with this one . Great cigar that I would highly reccomend to anyone :thumbs:

Nice review but did you really have to put Los in every picture?

He should be putting on an actual uniform...as the Mets are in such financial trouble they are going to unload Wright and Reyes....Los could probably be their new Third Baseman.

[You wearing the rainbow flag under the Mets shirt? :laugh:

I'm surprised you didn't show up being that Brass Monkey is in the heart of the meat packing district and everyone here knows how much you love to pack the meat :laugh:

Sat down tonight to do the blind review of the package I received from engspot.
Cigar was a 4.5", about a 48 RG with a dark maduro wrapper with a matte finish.

Pre-light inspection showed a few veins with a barnyard and straight tobacco smell. If felt firn, but ended up with a bit of a loose draw after cutting. It lit nice and easy, and once I had it burning I took a few small draws. Definitely a loose draw. I'll have to take my time with this so it doesn't overheat. The smoke is incredibly thick! It hung in the air for what seemed like forever. The strength felt like it was medium to full with a rich body. Through the nose there was a bit of a peppery sensation.

About a third in the strength picked up... it's definitely full now. First impression is a Nicaraguan cigar. The burn was a little wavy and the ash was pretty flaky. Not a whole lot of development in the flavour, a little one dimensional. The ash kept wanting to fall off when it reached about half an inch, so I didn't fight it. The burn corrected itself and the draw tightened up a bit.
Starting to feel a little bit of a nic buzz, but not strong enough to really knock me back.

Sittingdown.jpg

Lit.jpg

Wrapper.jpg

Flakyash.jpg

I'm pretty sure this isn't a cigar I've smoked before, certainly not a Padron. The flavour stayed pretty constant through the cigar, and the smoke was very thick. After about an hour I had to put it down because it was heating up too much. There was about an inch left. I don't know this cigar. It's not like any others I've had, so I can't even hazard a guess beyond Nicaraguan. I opened up the envelope and .....

Reveal.jpg

Camacho Triple Maduro. Honduran. That was a surprise.

Thanks for the opportunity to smoke this one, Alan. It was a pretty decent cigar, and I probably wouldn't have picked one up on my own. A little stronger than I'm used to, but it didn't make my head spin :)

I've been meaning to smoke my blind review cigar but my taste buds have been a wreck since getting sick off and on the past few months. The last cigar I had a week ago (Gold Medal) tasted like nothing but straight tobacco. Hopefully I get my taste buds back soon. I can finally taste the nuances of craft beer again but I haven't tried a cigar lately.

I was hoping a perfect day like this one would come along. Cool, partly sunny, with a light breeze. Ahh!

Mike sent me this beautiful stick to review and four others, two of which are already ash. Thank you, Mike!

Pre-light - Wrapper is gorgeous with a medium vein, an oily sheen, and lots of toothy bumps.
Odor is barnyard with a light berry. Draw is perfect and bunching looks great.

DSC00029.jpg

DSC00028.jpg

1st third - A straight cut and even light gets this beauty started nicely. First draw tastes of aged tobacco and leather.
Plenty of smoke is produced and the burn is perfect. Near the end of this third I'm getting some cocoa to add to the mix.

2nd third - cocoa flavor continues to about halfway and then fades. Flavor is mild, well-aged tobacco again but a bit stronger flavor than the first third.
Creamy body is developing as this third ends. This is an enjoyable, straight-forward cigar. Not complex but high quality tobacco.

Last third - Feeling a bit of Vit-N now with flavors more intense but still an aged tobacco/leather with little variation.

Ash1.jpg

Ash2.jpg

Ash3.jpg

My first "Tower of burn" and I see what I did wrong. :p Next time I'll use my tripod!

Conclusion - This flavor profile is one I enjoy now and then but not my usual fare.
But very nice for it's type, with great construction and performance.

Guess - I imagine a good portion of those who see the first two pics can identify this cigar readily from it's unique 2/3 box press shape.
The only other thing I can guess besides the front mark - Fuente Anejo Shark - is that it has some nice age. Five years?

Thanks for going so easy on me, Mike. :)

Steve

I saw that I had a window of time, so I decided to smoke my blind cigar last night. Sorry, I only took one pic as I took to the deck around 10pm and my camera wasn't fairing so well in the lack of lighting.

The cigar in question was a torp shaped stick with a milky chocolate looking wrapper.

DSC_0018.jpg

Pre-light: The draw was somewhere between perfect and just a weeeee bit too loose. There were tastes of hay and semi-sweet tobacco.

1/3: I tasted hay, a touch of brown sugar, a little spice, and something that reminded of of cherry wood. Tons of smoke poured out of this cigar, despite the high humidity outside.

2/3: Tastes were pretty much the same as the 1st. That cherry wood taste seemed to increase.

3/3: Now the cherry wood taste is all but gone, and the brown sugar sweetness is on the rise.

I haven't nubbed a cigar in a while, but I ended up burning my fingers on this one.

My guess is a Boli BF. Now to open the result and see how off I am. :laugh:

And I am VERY off. I almost couldn't get Steve's origami-ed results opened. :p

The stick was a PL Belicoso Extra (RE-PCC)

DSC_0025.jpg

Thanks again Steve!

-Julius

Decided to get this blind review in this morning before the heat and humidity set in. The cigar had a nice flat head and triple cap which is the sign of a fine Habano. The size seemed to be a canonanzo. The wrapper was a little rough and two small pieces of wrapper were missing from where a band should be. Had me thinking this was an LE or RE. Thanks for the hint Julius. The cigar started a bit harsh but quickly settled in. The ash was a light grey with some darker rings from in between the puffing. The cigar was drawing too easy. To be honest I wasn't enjoying the flavor profile but it wasn't anything unpleasant. If I had to guess it would be a Partagas but the wrapper seems too light for a Partagas LE. The cigar produced a ton of smoke. Now this cigar was getting much better. Medium bodied but very good flavor coming through. A distinct floral and fruit spice was starting to really shine and I knew what this cigar was. Funny Julius. I think I remember talking to you about this cigar. I'm going to guess at the end of the first third this is an LGC Gloriosos. Wow these have really come a long way. They were not very good at first. Maybe I am making a fool of myself and this is a Monte, Partagas or Cohiba. Not many Canonanzos to choose from but I'm not going to second guess myself.

3511cfdc.jpg
370eae3c.jpg
3271cf20.jpg
c01b3772.jpg

Thanks Julius looks like I nailed it!

The package I received from Franco593 LINK

Toaster's Blind Taste PIF Review

Many thanks to Franco593 for the wonderful selections, and the opportunity to smoke what I know is going to be a fantastic cigar. I'll apologize to all of you in advance, I'm not a very good review writer, and my palette isn't as sophisticated as others here may be... In fact, I've always been in the camp of simple cigar tasting. I've never been one of those "hint of citrus, with a finish of raw leather" kind of guys... I taste TOBACCO - sometimes good, sometimes bad...

It's been a long time since I did a blind taste, let's see if I can nail this. When I opened the package, I'm immediately pleased with the visual, I can clearly see its origin is from the little island south of miami - I forget what it's called... "Q" something or other... ;) Nice construction, triple cap, chocolate colored wrapper with those veins and spot's I've come to know well, it a classic robusto size about 5x50. A quick sniff reveals that smell that is so familiar, yummy... spicy, tobacco, a little bit of barn yard... THIS IS GONNA BE A GOOD SMOKE. I'm so tempted to rip open the envelope, like a kid opening christmas gift wrap...LOL, but honestly I'm so excited to be playing this game - I just can't wait to see what the reveal actually is. At this point, I feel really confident it's QBAN, based on size, appearance, smell, I'm guessing PSD#4 or HdM Epi#2, wrapper seem's too light in color to be a cohiba robusto - they are usually a tad darker IMO. And Bolivar usually has much more "barnyard smell". I paired tonight's smoke with a Diet Coke Zero, my other addiction.

Away we go, I clip the end with my trusty Xikar, a few pre-light draws reveals and very tight draw and a light dose of spice on my tongue. I roast the foot, get a thin layer of ash before taking a puff. My first draw reveals, oh yeah - It cuban... no doubt. That unforgettable smoke that you can actually inhale, without fear... YUMMY.

A few minutes in I'm seeing a familiar colored dark grey firm ash - with a slightly uneven burn. Draw is really tight for me... I'm getting decent amounts of smoke, spicy, woody... My kind of cigar.

As I approach the 2/3 (middle) of the cigar, I'm getting more spice, I'm starting to wonder if it is a Cohiba? The amount of spice is making me rule out the HdM - they usually give a much more woody earthy flavor smoke, and generally not as spicy as this little powerhouse is delivering. The burn has evened out, the draw is still a little tight.

Approaching the end of the cigar, the smoke is getting hot, the spice has all but burned my senses... I'm going to have to admit I'm confused. Its full bodied to me, and very enjoyable. Let me stop here and again thank my host Franco593 - for what has turned in to a wonderful cigar, and a very entertaining night. My wife sit's next to me, preventing me from cheating and peeking inside the magic envelope to reveal this little guy's identity. Yeah, I'm one of the lucky one's who smokes in the house - and the wife never complains... :love: She can usually tell the difference between Cuban and non-cuban just from the smell of the smoke (I kid you not) At the end of the cigar the spice has thrown me, seriously making me lean towards Cohiba............. but the wrapper didn't seem to be the right shade. Oh and by the way: I NUBBED THE HELL OUT OF THIS THING - IT WAS DELICIOUS.

MY GUESS: Partagas Serie D No 4 (or Cohiba Robusto because of all the spice)

Here are the pictures

photo1wkx.jpg

photo4by.jpg

photo5bi.jpg

photo6ff.jpg

photo7yg.jpg

photo8ez.jpg

I have to tell you, this was one of the BEST PSD4's I've EVER smoked! Usually PSD4 are more creamy - this was never harsh, but TREMENDOUSLY SPICY. And I've been smoking for a LONG TIME - This cigar was excellent. THANK YOU FRANK!

So I receive Jay’s package and this blind stick is the blackest I’ve ever seen. Looks like Ligero to me…wrapper is thick and oily.

IMG_20110721_184703-1.jpg

Looks like this one could put me on my ass. I decide to smoke this last night after a full meal. Its only 97 degree’s out so I put the puke bucket next to my chair.

Prelight taste like Cocca. I light it up and can tell I’m in for a ride here. VERY Full body smoke. I guess you would call the smoke rich.

I match this with a few ice cold Stella’s which pair up nicely.

resized.jpg

Bottom line is I’ve never had a cigar like this…so guessing is pointless. I’m thinking probably LFD just because I know they make some pretty full smokes but I’d be bullshitting you guys saying I know what this thing is. So I’m just going to enjoy it.

1/ 3 is full flavored tobacco…little spice.
2/3 is about the same but mellows abit.
The only thing I notice is how slow this smokes.

Last third is getting a little bitter but not horrible.

IMG_20110721_203015.jpg

After almost 2 hours I finish this bad boy.

IMG_20110721_204125-1.jpg

And the verdict is

label.jpg

La Flor Coronado Maduro.

After some due diligence I’ve found these were very limited release so Jason gave me a real treat here. Thank you my friend.

Very enjoyable 2 hours.