• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Taste Test Review Pass

Review Cigar #09 - Pepe

CPUserName: Pepe
CigarNumber: 09

Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Silver Torpedo 6.5 x 54 $4.00

Appearance: Outstanding

Appearance Notes
Nice cameroon wrapper. Beautiful finish. Veinless.

Construction: Good

Construction Notes
Firm. Pretty cigar.

Burn: Very Even
Problems: None Found
AshColor: White
AshStructure: Very Solid
Draw: Perfect
Aroma: Good
Smoked_To: Past the Band
Strength: Medium
Recommended: Yes
Scale: Good Cigar
Class: Low End ISOM

Taste Notes
Peppery but no tongue bite. Hint of leather.

Overall Notes
Very fine cigar. Would like more. I would guess isom.

The Manufacturer Said: A smooth, medium-bodied premium. Complementing Torano's extremely successful Exodus 1959 series is the Silver Edition. Offering a well-aged filler combination of Costa Rican, Honduran and Mexican tobaccos, the Silver is a round shape, rather than square-pressed. The wrapper is notable: instead of a dark, milky Habana 2000, it is a gorgeous, dark and enticing Criollo '98 leaf. Overall, the flavor is medium-bodied and very smooth thanks to the extensive aging, with a satisfying finish and cedary, nutty taste.

What SD Said: I will have to try one of these too!

Review Cigar #11 - RicMac25

CPUserName: RicMac25
CigarNumber: 11

Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 Robusto 5.50x52 $3.50

Appearance: Outstanding

Appearance Notes
Beautiful dark and oily wrapper. The owner of the shop commented on what a nice wrapper it was.

Construction: Outstanding

Construction Notes
A very firm cigar. Surprised at the draw.

AshColor: Light Grey
AshStructure: Typical
Aroma: Fair
Smoked_To: One-Third Smoked
Strength: Full
Recommended: No
Class: Premium

TasteNotes
It wasn't an overpowering taste but after a little bit I was beginning to feel a buzz coming on. The only other time I've had that happen was a Joya de Nicaragua Antaño Robusto Grande.

OverallNotes
In the off chance that a major buzz was coming I stopped smoking 1/3 of the way in. I am not a fan of getting cigar buzzes. If you are, this might be your cigar. Only complaint would be the possible buzz. Shop owners thought it may have been a Punch. Also had a bad experience with those. I could see someone enjoying this, just not me.

The Manufacturer Said: In the 1970s, this brand was considered the finest not only in Nicaragua, but in the entire world. It was actually created in Nicaragua's first cigar factory founded in 1964, smoked by US Presidents and renowned for its rich and full flavor. But decades of war and Communist rule in Nicaragua destroyed the brand and decimated the factory - and most of the rest of the country for that matter. Well, the country has been on the rise again, and fittingly, so is the brand. This new Joya de Nicaragua Antaño 1970 was created to celebrate the rich heritage and worldwide renown it enjoyed n 1970, and marks a return to those glorious days. It's well on the way, earning a terrific 91 rating (Cigar Insider). A very, very full-bodied, robust "muscle cigar." This beauty is simply delicious.

What SD Said: RicMac cheated on this one, but he says he didn't. ??? :p He nailed the brand. Funny how he have all great remarks but he wouldn't recommend it to a friend.

The last three reviews have been edited to show the cigar brands.

Gotta love those Antano 1970s!!!!

Review for cigar # 39 has been submitted. Also Kenny, moki, count me in for any future taste tests! Also let me get through a newbie sampler trade and see what I won in lottery #19 and I will have an idea of what I can contribute to future tests of this type.

Review Cigar #39 - Lumberg

39. Placensia TKO Maduro 4x42 $2.00

Its a NIC Puro.

Appearance: Good

Appearance Notes
Smallish cigar, petit corona size. The wrapper is very dark maduro or possibly even oscuro. It has some mottling and several noticeable veins.

Construction: Poor

Construction Notes
Pre-light, the stick felt strong and solid. However the cigar was pretty much plugged. After poking I was able to get a passable draw.

Burn: Even
Draw: Plugged
Aroma: Fair
Smoked_To: One-Third Smoked
Scale: Ho-Hum
Class: Regular

TasteNotes
OK I smoked this down to about 1/3 left. There was very little pre-light aroma, it smelled very faintly of dirt and flowers and it was sweet. I feel like the cigar never really hit its stride. First it was an effort to extract even the tiniest wisps of smoke, and at that point the cigar was very very bland and had no distinguishing factors. Pretty much just an extension of the prelight aromas stated earlier. Once I got it going it was still unremarkable. It seemed to change character with each puff, with sweetness being really the only constant. Coffee, leather, and nutmeg all crossed my palate at one point, but only once. Within 5-10 puffs of poking, the smoke took on the harsh character of a cigar that is getting near the nub. I got the "peppery" or "minty" flavors that I have concluded is just the feeling of hot, nicotine-laden smoke hitting your mouth.

OverallNotes
It was hard to get a bearing on this cigar because of the tight draw. I p I feel like this might be an overhyped mid-to-high grade smoke that just doesn't measure up. Draw issues aside, this was still an unremarkable cigar.

The Manufacturer Said: Master veguros and cigar maker, Nestor Plasencia makes his namesake cigar in his Nicaraguan factory. The TKO is a completely different blend from the other Placensia's. It is a Ultra-Powerful Nic. Puro. These are great and powerful little smokes. Don't smoke and drive these.

What SD Said: This is sort-of a no-name smoke. It is found exclusively at JRs I think. The only reason I included it in the pass was to add another fan to their list. It didn't work. ??? These cigars are cheap and extra powerful usually. Lumberg didn't seem to mention how powerful it was. I have had several boxes of these and bought another CPr a box. I have given most of them away that I have bought because they are such an exciting little smoke. Everyone seems to have loved them. ??? Some are always plugged. When they are, they suck. I hoped that this one would be a good one. The cigars are small but they burn very slow. I usually on smoke half of one. The taste doesn't last past half way. It really deserves another try. Really. It is sad to see this one go down this way. :(

INFORMATION FOR THE NEXT ONE OF THESE.

I have been working on an additional form that someone else can use to administer the reviews and results.

The form is similar to the other one. Things can be added or deleted as needed if you ask me nicely. :)

I left out the Cigar Number on this one.

The basic idea is to do a review as you normally would and the results are written to an HTM page that can be viewed by everyone. The latest review given will be at the top of the form. The time and date of submission is in the results too. I will add an email link to the administrator so you can hit him with an email to let him know that a review has been submitted. He can then goto the form and copy the review and paste it here at CP and add the cigar information just like I have done. I also have the option of automatically emailing the reviews to the administrator if he prefers that.

After you review a cigar, a confirmation page follows and you have the option of seeing your review and/or emailing the admin.

Try IT.

I got a little surprise from Cigarsarge and Wascal today. PMs sent to you fellars. Thanks. :thumbs:

SD_Stack said:
What SD Said: RicMac cheated on this one, but he says he didn't. ??? :p He nailed the brand.
Gator nailed the brand on smell. I nailed the brand on buzz effect.

Funny how he have all great remarks but he wouldn't recommend it to a friend.

I wasn't sure what to put there to be honest. If not for the buzz factor I would recommend. I think if someone asked me I would tell them, it's a good cigar but it most likely will kick you in the ass. Hey, if you like to get a buzz from your cigar then by all means, this is your cigar.

moki said:
I too would be willing to take a turn contributing the cigars (40-60 -- whatever is needed) for an upcoming blind review pass.

This is probably one of the most useful/interesting things I've seen in a long time.
Your just trying to get rid of all the dog rockets you asked for to do you own reviews on!!! :angry:

Fast4Dr said:
moki said:
I too would be willing to take a turn contributing the cigars (40-60 -- whatever is needed) for an upcoming blind review pass.

This is probably one of the most useful/interesting things I've seen in a long time.
Your just trying to get rid of all the dog rockets you asked for to do you own reviews on!!! :angry:
LMAO!!! I totally forgot about that. You're SO right!!!

Review Cigar #31 - Pepe

ISOM H Upmann Mag 46 - 2003 - 5-5/8x46 - $7.50

Appearance Notes
Looks like a triple cap on this cigar.

Construction Notes
Firm without flaws.

AshStructure: Very Solid
Aroma: Good
Smoked_To: To the Band
Strength: Mild
Scale: Ho-Hum
Class: Regular

TasteNotes
Taste of mild pepper. Not exciting.

OverallNotes
I wouldn't buy this cigar. Disappointing. The triple cap throws me off. It might be isom, but not my choice.

The Manufacturer Said: See Ron Nee.

What SD Said: ??? I thought you would like that one. Maybe it's a little too young yet.

Wow, Mag46 ripped. A victim of the blind taste test. Looks like I should get rid of mine.

:sign:

SD My taste in cigars leads me to full flavored sticks. I gravitate towards cigars with either a sun grown wrapper or maduro. Lately Padron, Joya Nicaguara Antonas, LGC, La Luna, and Comacho cigars are what I've been smoking. That H Upmann was mild in comparison. Reminded me of a La Unica natural. Well made but not going to ring my bell.

I think most of my taste buds died out a while ago. I put hot sauce on a lot of food I eat, like strong flavored cigars, and prefer Irish whiskey. What does that make me?...

Happy! :)

I recently had a Mag 46 from January '03 that blew me away. One of the best cigars I've ever had :thumbs:

SD_Stack said:
I got a little surprise from Cigarsarge and Wascal today. PMs sent to you fellars. Thanks. :thumbs:
I'm thinking that may not be the last surprise you get :)

moki said:
SD_Stack said:
I'm thinking that may not be the last surprise you get :)
Holy Crap Moki. I did! I did! get a sweet pack from you. I feel bad accepting them. They are great. I have never had either and didn't know two even existed in the free world. You dug deep for those. Thanks Bro. :thumbs:

Review Cigar #17 - AlphChomper

Cacique Miami Robusto 5.00x52 $1.50

AppearanceNotes
A reddish almost coppery rust wrapper

ConstructionNotes
Felt a little soft, a vein ran the length of one side.

Burn: Even
Draw: Easy
Aroma: Great
Smoked_To: To the Band
Recommended: Yes
Class: Premium

TasteNotes
Pre smoke smelled great. I lit and it drew real easy, almost too easy. A little way in it came to a minor cavity in the filler, but that did not affect the quality, and burned right through it. About an inch and a half down it hit me real hard and I felt almost woozy.

OverallNotes
A nice med-large diameter 52 or so Robusto just under 6. I smoked this at the local Irish cigar store bar in Monroe, CT on Friday last watching the TPC golf and having a coffee and water. This smoke snuck up real strong on me and I had to let it go out a little over half way through. I really loved the aroma and the early taste of it, but just a little too much strength for my aging constitution.

The Manufacturer Said: Cacique (pronounced ka-seek) has long been known as a consistent, solid brand, a Dominican best known for its mellow and mild, smooth and straightforward taste, a brand I've heard on more than one occasion referred to as the "poor man's Montecristo." Well now, they've come up with a Nicaraguan blend with a very different appeal. The new Cacique Miami blend is a perky number that will please those looking for something much more robust. Boasting a gorgeous, thick, and oily sun-grown Corojo wrapper together with 100% Cuban-seed long fillers, Cacique Miami is medium to full bodied, a smoke that jump starts the palate with its complex flavor profile and hint of spiciness. At a buck-fifty per cigar, it's priced reasonably too.

What SD Said: Yet Another Suprise! :thumbs: Good review.