• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Brewing software?

bluue13

Fellow home brewers,

Looking to up my brewing game and was wondering if any of you have any suggestions for brewing software that you swear by.

Thanks!

I saw that one in my searches, I'll definitely look into it!

I use Wort homebrew calculator. It's free from the google play store.
zYrp0a3RUT505U6q0C9RmAX1Xj0j2WHvabH5giluuXF-qPLsr86rTLDEgap7mUqJ2TaG=w300-rw

"This homebrew application will help you through your whole brewing process, from recipe creation to helping you on your brewday.
Create Recipe's, Calculate OG, Gravity correction calculations to hit your preboil numbers, bottle priming calculations, keg carbonation calculators, Strike water calculators, SRM, IBU, Efficiency,ABV, and brix final gravity calculators.
Please Remember, this application is still beta, If you have any issues, please email the developer and report any force closes. We will work to fix your issue ASAP.
If the application is missing any features that you would like, email the developer and we will try to have it added to the project.
Your Recipes can now be saved to the cloud, so you can save your recipes on one device and have them waiting for you on any of your other devices! To enable this feature, please log into the app using either your email address, Google, or Facebook. Your data is backed up on our servers, and then backed up remotely for even more piece of mind.

If you would like to support the development of the app, consider installing the PRO version"

If Promash were to be updated for this century I would definitely recommend it. I still would for how great is has been. Beersmith has a ton of issues/bugs that I keep raising and are still not being fixed. Some are very bad. Brewersfriend is slowly getting most of my time used on it (both the app and the desktop version), and I'm slowly phasing Beersmith out of my routine. I especially don't like his "cloud" solution and pricing. It's a straight up money grab. But it depends on what you are after? A lot of free stuff out there is decent for most anything. I wish one would incorporate more water control into it like the spreadsheets I use. Beersmith is really bad for this aspect.

If Promash were to be updated for this century I would definitely recommend it. I still would for how great is has been. Beersmith has a ton of issues/bugs that I keep raising and are still not being fixed. Some are very bad. Brewersfriend is slowly getting most of my time used on it (both the app and the desktop version), and I'm slowly phasing Beersmith out of my routine. I especially don't like his "cloud" solution and pricing. It's a straight up money grab. But it depends on what you are after? A lot of free stuff out there is decent for most anything. I wish one would incorporate more water control into it like the spreadsheets I use. Beersmith is really bad for this aspect.

Looks like Promash is no longer... too bad cause I wanted to check it out. What is it that you don't like about the beersmith cloud situation? I downloaded the free trial but I haven't been able to do much exploring yet.

Beersmith is looking pretty inviting too. Thanks, guys, for the suggestions so far!

I use Beersmith, can't beat it in my opinion.

What is it that you don't like about the beersmith cloud situation?
The overcharging of it. It's way too expensive for it storing tiny, tiny text files. I use Google, or Dropbox, but he has severely crippled the ability to use those free services in order to try and get you to pay him an exorbitant amount to host tiny text files. It is a decent program, but there are a lot of bugs that I have to constantly remind myself about when using it. Water volume issues being the biggest one; if changing any variable that would make your water volume change, it often doesn't revert or will keep changing - I'll print out the recipe when done and the water volume is all of a sudden different on the paper than it was in the program. The other issue that isn't so much a bug as it is a "feature" is the crude calculations for mineral/chemical additions to the brew water. I just do that in a spreadsheet though so don't worry much about it.

The charge for the Android version is shady as well. Way too little functionality to use it as advertised, and it doesn't sync unless you are using the "cloud" "Dr." Smith is schilling.

With that said, Brewersfriend is probably a step up. Just my opinion from having used Beersmith for about 6 years or so now. And Promash for almost 20.

There are a ton out there though; Brewcipher, Strangebrew (I think it's also been forgotten about), some for Linux, Mac, Android, iOS, etc. Try them all, if they have a free trial. You might find one you like that others don't. But...if it works well for you, that's all that matters. I'm just saying that if I had to do it again, I'd just stick with Promash, and definitely would not pay for Beersmith. But that's me. If he'd fix issues that folks are complaining about, which one would expect for software you pay for, then it would be better.

Just my 2 cents.

The overcharging of it. It's way too expensive for it storing tiny, tiny text files. I use Google, or Dropbox, but he has severely crippled the ability to use those free services in order to try and get you to pay him an exorbitant amount to host tiny text files. It is a decent program, but there are a lot of bugs that I have to constantly remind myself about when using it. Water volume issues being the biggest one; if changing any variable that would make your water volume change, it often doesn't revert or will keep changing - I'll print out the recipe when done and the water volume is all of a sudden different on the paper than it was in the program. The other issue that isn't so much a bug as it is a "feature" is the crude calculations for mineral/chemical additions to the brew water. I just do that in a spreadsheet though so don't worry much about it.

The charge for the Android version is shady as well. Way too little functionality to use it as advertised, and it doesn't sync unless you are using the "cloud" "Dr." Smith is schilling.

With that said, Brewersfriend is probably a step up. Just my opinion from having used Beersmith for about 6 years or so now. And Promash for almost 20.

There are a ton out there though; Brewcipher, Strangebrew (I think it's also been forgotten about), some for Linux, Mac, Android, iOS, etc. Try them all, if they have a free trial. You might find one you like that others don't. But...if it works well for you, that's all that matters. I'm just saying that if I had to do it again, I'd just stick with Promash, and definitely would not pay for Beersmith. But that's me. If he'd fix issues that folks are complaining about, which one would expect for software you pay for, then it would be better.

Just my 2 cents.

Good to know. Thanks for the insight!