• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Chicken breasts

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
I have been having trouble lately with grilling chicken breasts. The difficulty is that one end ends up being very thick and then it tapers to a thin piece of meat. Since I like my chicken cooked through it always seems that the thin end is over cooked and the thick end is properly cooked. I do this over charcoal at 300-400. How do y’all handle grilling chicken like this with out one end being over cooked while the other end is perfectly cooked?

I sear both sides, then foil wrap and finish in an oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes.

Or I also have hammered them flat or butterflied them, it all depends on what type of recipe I'm cooking them for.

I typically put the bigger side of the breast, over the hotter part of the grill. I have in the past, tried to flatten out the bigger part of the breast and butterflied it, but normally I just adjust the placement of the chicken.

Put the chicken between two pieces of plastic wrap or use a ziploc bag, and pound the meaty part to the same thickness as the tapered end. That way they will cook evenly. You can get a meat mallet, or just use a small saucepan to do the work for you.

I finish mine with a blow torch. No need to fire up the grill when I have portable fire to do the work. :)
At home, I'll put em in the oven under the broiler for color, usually. I was thinking more camping (glamping) where I finish over the campfire, since it's going anyhow.

Blowtorch is a good idea, though. I need to acquire one. Open flame or one of those searzall type things?

They make a meat hammer where you can pound it down. We beat up our fair share of chicken here.

I typically put the bigger side of the breast, over the hotter part of the grill. I have in the past, tried to flatten out the bigger part of the breast and butterflied it, but normally I just adjust the placement of the chicken.

This. Flattened isn't as juicy.

On a charcoal grill, just scoop all the briquets to one side once they're ready, and cook the breasts on the side they're NOT on, with the thick end toward the coals.

I also like to cut diagonal slits across each breast & stuff them with things like prosciutto & Swiss or tomato, fresh mozz & basil, but you won't be able to flip them so the indirect coals method is the ONLY way to do it on a grill. Usually I just go with the oven for those.

~Boar