• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Exchange Protocol

Yeah, but how about if someone gave that woman a cigar, and then shortly after she bolted! So I guess the potential was there...

Here's a unique one:

How about if Person A gifts Person B a really nice cigar, let's say for example a Shark. Then shortly after that, some really hot girl smoking a cigar (Hottie A) happens along, and soon finds herself a seat at our table. Is it OK for Person B to regift that cigar to Hottie A in an effort to score? I believe these are somewhat unusual circumstances, and after all, she was wearing knee-high stockings in a school-girl outfit.

Not that this might have happened recently or anything...

God bless you, brother.

I'd say take the chance and may one stick bring the other stick some luck. :p

Wilkey

Well, for those of you who forgot, I'm married and have a 2 year old and another one on the way. So we'll have to put another face to this tragedy.

;) In any case where hotties and cigars are discussed, I think it's only fair that you specify Which cigar, exactly..

and provide pics of the hottie in question. :)

I mean, we can't be expected to make ethical determinations without Evidence, can we?

;) In any case where hotties and cigars are discussed, I think it's only fair that you specify Which cigar, exactly..

and provide pics of the hottie in question. :)

I mean, we can't be expected to make ethical determinations without Evidence, can we?

Let's keep Wilkey's thread on track there Sparky. ;)

I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet:

If someone gifts you a couple cigars (a bomb) for no particular reason other than being a nice guy, and the cigars get damaged way beyond repair (nearly broken in half, the box had a huge dent in it), do you tell the gifter? It wasn't necessarily a case of bad packing. They were packed well, but the box obviosly had something very traumatic happen to it.

I hesitate to mention it, because I don't want them to feel as if they "owe" me now. And I'm not sure if they need the feedback for future packaging purposes. But I also am not sure if they should know that their gift to me was destroyed.

Ugh, that stinks! :(

I'm not sure I would tell the other person if it were a bomb and the smokes were well packed. I'd probably just send my normal thanks. Like you, I would hate to have them think they needed to send replacements. It would also depend on who the sender was.

Tough call...:(

I think it is an easy call. If it is not a packing issue, you simply thank the sender and don't mention the destroyed sticks. It is not the senders fault, why make him feel bad. Why should he replace them if it is a bomb he does'nt owe you anything. As my Mother used to say "you can't lose something you never had"! ???

For that matter even if it's a trade, purcase or split and it was packed correctly it was still not the senders fault. You pays your money and you takes your chances. I say let it go or chase the shipper, JMHO. ;)

I would personally want to know.

I'd hate to ask someone in the future how they liked the "_____" that I sent and have them tell me then that they never got to try it because the shipping company broke it. I'd also hate for someone to be put in the position of lying and saying it was good or great or whatever. I would rather have the opportunity to replace the sticks than to have the gift I sent someone go to the trash, even if it was the mail carrier's fault. I wouldn't feel bad at all. (Well, I might curse the mailman...)

JMHO... :)

That is a valid point Alan, but at that point might be the only time I would mention the sticks were damaged. I just don't think
I would mention it unless it came up.

BT,

You mentioned in a trade, sale, split that it is the buyers risk when having sticks shipped to them. I thought that it was the sellers responsibility to get the sticks to the buyer safely. For example, I heard of a package (with DC) get lost. The seller did not get the package to the buyer and had replaced the lost shipment.

Just curious as I have had an expensive Hoyo de Monterray churchill arrive with a huge split at the cap. Had to toss it. Was that my assumed risk, or responsibilty of the seller to get me sticks in good condition.

Quade

This is an important issue. I'm sure the more experienced guys will drop in with their sage advice but it also merits hashing out here to reveal all the considerations involved.

Here are my thoughts.

For a bomb, if the cigars appear to have been well packed (bags, bubble/peanuts, new and sturdy corrugated outerbox at a minimum) and the package as a whole was grossly damaged then I would convey my thanks and leave it at that. If the package was not grossly, obviously damaged but the sticks have some issues, I'd still do the same under the presumption that no botl would intentionally send another botl bad sticks. I would assume that damage occurred in transit.

However, if the cigars were poorly packed (a bag and maybe no other cushioning, a reused, thin-walled or flimsy cardboard box) and this clearly contributed to the sticks being damaged, I would convey my thanks. I'd also mention that the sender might check out the various packing threads on CigarPass to prevent any future shipments he might make from getting damaged. If specifically asked whether or not the cigars were damaged, I'd answer honestly.

In a value transaction (trade, split, group buy) the sender still always has the responsibility of packing and shipping in such a manner as to prevent the damage or loss of value of the goods sent. Loss of value means sticks that are split (aside from tiny 0.25" splits at the foot, etc.), cracked, dried out, or otherwise physically or cosmetically damaged.

In a split or group buy, it is my opinion that the organizer warrants that sticks going out are of good condition and will be packed to appropriately protect them from environmental and physical assault. See the first bomb case above.

If I, as the organizer, receive from the supplier a damaged stick, I will typically take that myself if I am participating. If I am not participating, I will offer a participant the option of taking a refund on the stick (whereupon I would keep the damaged cigar). What I have commonly done is to send a picture of the damage to help them make their decision. In a sense, nobody, should be OUT money or goods. IMO, if I am offering to run a split/buy I should not be expected to totally absorb any losses that come up. Otherwise, what would the incentive be for people to run splits and buys if the accomodations are always expected to be punitive against the organizer

If the organizer packs poorly, then IMO he should be held liable for any losses. This means that you should make the effort to pack securely, perhaps even a tad overkill.

Wilkey

Yet again that seems like a good summation to me! Thanks Wilkey!

I sent this question to several long time CP members. One of them suggested posting in this thread. So here is a cut & paste of the PM I sent out:

"In the last month or so, between my own purchases at local shops and on CP and bombs/gifts from CP members, I have filled my humidors and then some! I have 10 each of WOAM and Factory Press II -- again some from bombs/gifts and some I have purchased. I am thinking of offering a few fivers for sale that will include 1 each of WOAM & FP II. As long as they are ones I have actually purchased, would that be okay? Or since I have received some as gifts, am I better off sending these out in bombs or trades? Thanks for you input!!"

Edited to add: the ones I sell will be the ones I have bought at local shops, not from CP members.

If the general consensus is that this would be 'bad form", then I will gladly bomb the heck out of some people!!

I sent this question to several long time CP members. One of them suggested posting in this thread. So here is a cut & paste of the PM I sent out:

"In the last month or so, between my own purchases at local shops and on CP and bombs/gifts from CP members, I have filled my humidors and then some! I have 10 each of WOAM and Factory Press II -- again some from bombs/gifts and some I have purchased. I am thinking of offering a few fivers for sale that will include 1 each of WOAM & FP II. As long as they are ones I have actually purchased, would that be okay? Or since I have received some as gifts, am I better off sending these out in bombs or trades? Thanks for you input!!"

Edited to add: the ones I sell will be the ones I have bought at local shops, not from CP members.

If the general consensus is that this would be 'bad form", then I will gladly bomb the heck out of some people!!

IMO, as long as the cigars were purchased, you should be okay selling them. It would be a good idea to PM those who gifted you the other sticks in advance of the sale, though. That way you can assure them that the sticks being sold are not the gifts that they sent to you.

Good question, and I'm interested to see what others have to say.

IMO, as long as the cigars were purchased, you should be okay selling them. It would be a good idea to PM those who gifted you the other sticks in advance of the sale, though. That way you can assure them that the sticks being sold are not the gifts that they sent to you.

Good question, and I'm interested to see what others have to say.

Good point! I was thinking of either sending them a PM or posting in this thread that if they had any concerns, to let me know. And that would be for both the gifters/bombers and the ones who have sold me fivers.

JHawk,

I'm in agreement with the boy from Idaho. Provide a little heads up to the folks who sent you sticks like the ones you bought and intend to sell or trade.

Wilkey

This thread started out as good information, especially for newbies, and actually brought up some good discussion. I was particularly intrigued about the damaged goods due to shipping. Thanks.