• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Register software

As for those that just have to be an ass toward someone that has spent a lot of time and effort in making this program for us for free. Without spyware, adware, viruse's and the selling of your e-mail account. I just want to offer you a cup of Shut the Fuck up. :angry:

Ok, I just took a sip of your offering and it surely needs sugar and cream :D

I have been silenced - for now!!!

Just installed this with the patch, looks good so far!

I’ve been attempting to use this program, thanks Peter for your work and efforts. However, I have a couple of difficulties/suggestions.

1. Entering the price for a cigar needs some serious work. I've read your explanation here. I understand your explanation, however, I think for most of us converting to one currency for each user, (US Dollars for example) in the options tab would be the most efficient. If I buy some cigars in EUROs I can convert them to $$'s without much problem. Furthermore, unless I am missing something I still think the existing feature is in desperate need of some changes. For example, if I’d like to enter a price $3.50 price per cigar, I can not, it will only allow a whole number in the first price field. This needs addressed. And the best I can tell there is no way to edit the price of cigars once inserted, compounding the aforementioned problem. If I'm missing something please let me know.

2. A suggestion - A easier way to navigate the complete database would be a nice improvement. Either with the typical A B C - click able navigation field along the top of the database screen or the capability to jump to the “F” when the box is active and you hit the letter “F”.

Well those are the two areas I’ve been most frustrated with thus far. All in all, a nice application. I'd say about half of the cigars I've entered thus far are not in the database(i.e. Connies, Toraño Virtuoso, Perdomo Reserves, Quo Vadimus, just to name a few).

Hello all,

Peter, now that I've spent many hours entering cigars, my first concern is: How do I back up my data? Which exact files?

Thanks

Hello all,

Peter, now that I've spent many hours entering cigars, my first concern is: How do I back up my data? Which exact files?

Thanks

Brew,

we'll have the soultion for backing up in the next version. Until then you can back up the data manually by copying a file, I'm gonna send you the details in PM.

Peter

PS: about the 30 MB install: if you check out the installation package you can see that it has two components: the software itself (about 5 MB) and the Microsoft .net framework 2 installation (about 25MB !). That framework is neccessary to run the software, and it is easier to have it in the package than to tell everybody (especially to the average user) that they must download it from one of the subsites of microsoft.

Peter

Peter, I read about Cigar Register at another cigar forum and wondered why the download was so large. I have Microsoft .net framework 1.1. Will Cigar Register run on my system or will I have to upgrade to Microsoft .net framework 2? If I do not need to upgrade, is there a way to skip installation of Microsoft .net framework 2 in the Cigar Register installation package? Do you plan to make Microsoft .net framework 2 a separate download when you release version 2 of Cigar Register?

Peter, I read about Cigar Register at another cigar forum and wondered why the download was so large. I have Microsoft .net framework 1.1. Will Cigar Register run on my system or will I have to upgrade to Microsoft .net framework 2?

Cigar Register won't run without .net 2. We use controls that are only available in the .net 2 framework, so you'll have to upgrade, yes.

If I do not need to upgrade, is there a way to skip installation of Microsoft .net framework 2 in the Cigar Register installation package?

The .net installer won't even start if the installer detects .net 2 on the system. Since you only have .net 1.1, the .net 2 installer will start.

Do you plan to make Microsoft .net framework 2 a separate download when you release version 2 of Cigar Register?

We won't provide you a separate .net 2 framework download. You can already download it from Microsoft.
We'll be providing an installer of Cigar Register without the framework though. This way the size of the installer package will be significantly smaller than the current version.

OK, so just finished adding all my smokes into this application so I have a few comments.

1. The entries for the Padron 1926 series are screwed up. You have 1926, 1928, 1929, 1931 all of which should be 1926.

2. Using the "inches" measurement shows slightly incorrect sizes (I guess cause it converts from milimeters. For example instead of a 5" length it'll show 4.99 inches)

3. Scrolling the list down with my PgDn button causes a crash and I have to restart the application.

4. No way to edit existing cigar entries or I could have fixed the Padron mistakes for example.

All in all pretty good application. Would be nice if there was an option to export my list to an excel sheet.

Here's a screenshot of my collection:
mysmokesgs3.jpg

Nice List Zeebra.
I just tried out this software and so far so good. I have noticed that your unable to edit your listing like Zeebra mentioned. :( All and all it still need some work, but is a nice way to keep track of your stash.

There was one other thing that really isn't too big of a deal, but something I thought I would mention.
On the rating of the cigar after you "light up" it has 1-20 on Construction, appearance, burn and draw. Then it has 1-10 an the rating of the aroma (in thirds)and the Smoke/ash. Why did you design it like that instead of all being 1-10 or 1-20?

Thanks Peter for the great software!

1. The entries for the Padron 1926 series are screwed up. You have 1926, 1928, 1929, 1931 all of which should be 1926.

Yeah we had several reports on that, will be solved with next release.

2. Using the "inches" measurement shows slightly incorrect sizes (I guess cause it converts from milimeters. For example instead of a 5" length it'll show 4.99 inches)

In the 1.x release we convert each size from mm, we do not store inch sizes in the database, so that may happen. In the next version we're planning on correcting this by entering all the inch sizes.

3. Scrolling the list down with my PgDn button causes a crash and I have to restart the application.

That's also a know error, this happens because with each push of the PgDn button the app tries to generate the data window of the currently selected cigar, but if you push PgDn too fast than it may fail because the template file needed for generation of the data windows can be occupied by the previous request. Working on that.

4. No way to edit existing cigar entries or I could have fixed the Padron mistakes for example.

That is because we haven't finished our database update method yet. Until than we didn't want people to create several master databases which we wouldn't be able to handle.

Here's a screenshot of my collection:

Nice collection, I could spend some time with it... ;)

On the rating of the cigar after you "light up" it has 1-20 on Construction, appearance, burn and draw. Then it has 1-10 an the rating of the aroma (in thirds)and the Smoke/ash. Why did you design it like that instead of all being 1-10 or 1-20?

So about the rating system. We have
- 20 pts for construction,
- 20 pts for appeareance,
- 10 pts for smoke & ash,
- 20 pts for burn,
- 20 pts for draw,
- 3 x 10 pts for aroma.

That's a total of 120 pts, but if you finish the form and check your smoking history you'll see that your rating will have a total point of 20. That means we divide the 120 pts by 6, that's how a cigar's final score comes out.

Giving a uniform 1-20 pts for all the aspects would not be the best move, because a good-looking cigar with a bad aroma would get an unfair final rating. With different scales for each aspect we can guarantee that only a great cigar can get a great final score.

Peter,
I just started using your software, and so far so good. I like the interface and the ease of inputting info. HOWEVER... a couple of additions I'd like to see?

1) How about a field for box code entry?
2) also a field for misc info, such as dates?
3) how about having program default open in my humidor instead of the database?

I'm using the 'source' field right now, but then I'll have names, dates, box codes all in the same column.

Looking forward to the next release... getting confusing with all the Padron possibilities! ;)

OH YEAH- You have the Montecristo #2 as a 38 ring gauge! Oops...
Also had to add HdM Petite Robusto

Thank you very much for your efforts in developing this useful tool. I xan't wait until you get the bugs out enough to make it usable. :D

I have installed the software and the patch, but the program will not fully load. I have the .net 2.0 framework installed so that shouldn't be a problem. When I try to open the program I get the application splash screen, then microsoft application error reporting immediately opens up and the program crashes. Any thoughts?

I have installed the software and the patch, but the program will not fully load. I have the .net 2.0 framework installed so that shouldn't be a problem. When I try to open the program I get the application splash screen, then microsoft application error reporting immediately opens up and the program crashes. Any thoughts?

insight,

please PM me the complete error message but my first guess is that you're using some kind of skin software, like windows blinds or something. Is that possible?

Peter

Yes actually. I am using windowblinds. I will disable temporarily and see the impact (assuming that is the advice you would give me anyways)

Just installed the Cigar Register 1.2 update. Had a bit of a hiccup as for some reason I had 2 different Cigar Register folders, and the program wouldn't start anymore. I backed up my data, uninstalled the program then re-installed 1.0 and the 2 updates (1.1 and 1.2) and made sure I only had 1 folder. Everything works now.

Any updates on this software?

Is it working well for you guys who have tried it?

I got it working alright but I have to disable windowblinds any time I use it. Still wondering why that is, as it is sort of a pain in the ass. The software itself is very useful however.

I really enjoy this software. I have had to add a quite a few cigars, but it is worth it in the long run. The only hiccup I had is that once I smoked my Perdomo Lot 23 toro, it wouldn't delete it from my humidor. It's the only one it has happened to. So I changed the number in my humidor to zero. :) No biggie. I look forward to the next update, especially if some of these suggestions are able to be implemented. Thanks, Peter!