• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coffee that doesn't suck...

The key to good coffee is using enough coffee. Most folks don't. They drink dishwater and wonder why it tastes bad. I find that using eight tablespoons of coffee to one quart of water will make most any coffee acceptable. Certainly using premium coffees will result in a better brew, but using these measurement will even make Maxwell House good to the last drop. :thumbs:

Doc

I Love Caribbean Cutthroat from Jerry, Guatemalan Pacamara, and the Doi Chaang Peaberry. My personal taste is to have them all Vienna Roast so that the beans seem to taste bolder to me. I either use a Technivorm or French Press depending on my mood, but I think the French Press has the win. Just hate cleaning it up afterwards.

Boar,
I've never had any issue with the temps on the Technivorm. It's always hot enough to scald the hell out of my mouth if I'm not careful.

It is done... My burr grinder, Bodum Brazil press, a half-pound of Ethiopean Mocha Sidamo and Tanz Peaberry are on the way. :thumbs:

Boar,
I've never had any issue with the temps on the Technivorm. It's always hot enough to scald the hell out of my mouth if I'm not careful.

I'm just going by what THEY say, on their own website, lol. Since it's going into a carafe instead of onto a hot plate, maybe they were getting a lot of complaints from people who thought they could leave the pot there all day.

~Boar

Wife and I use a french press as well, it makes about the best coffee around. We've ran tons of coffee through it, but I think my favorite (store bought) is Dunkin Donuts. I know, go ahead and throw stones, but it's good.

Throwing Stones. DD is not for me.

To each his own.
Jamacian Blue Mountain is excellent.

I have to admit there's something in DD coffee... maybe crack... but I can't get enough of it! But I've never had french pressed coffee, and now I'm thinking I have to give it a try.

French press will definitely give you a more robust cup of coffee, especially if you're using freshly ground beans.

This morning I made some Tanz Peaberry. Not too shabby. None of that bitterness or crappy aftertaste.

Thanks for all of the information and suggestions. :thumbs:

Burr grind (coarse) with bodum french press and RO water for weekend mornings. I pretty much buy a different bag of beans every time. Sometimes grocery, sometimes local roaster, sometimes mail order.

Weekdays- Donut Shop K-cups.

Eight O' Clock Colombian whole bean.

$4 per pound on BOGO sale and damn tasty.

Looks like most guys like the Tanzanian Peaberry I wil try one of these but want to try some other.

I used to roast myself until things like grad school and then a new baby entered the picture... :)

In addition to Intelligentsia, Counter Culture, and Stumptown, I have also had great luck with Our Coffee Barn.

Boar,

I'm just going by what THEY say, on their own website, lol. Since it's going into a carafe instead of onto a hot plate, maybe they were getting a lot of complaints from people who thought they could leave the pot there all day.

~Boar

Technivorm makes several models, one of which uses a hot plate and not a thermal carafe. Of course, leaving brewed coffee on a heat source for too long will ruin the coffee and Technivorm advises against it.

-Mark

The key to good coffee is using enough coffee. Most folks don't. They drink dishwater and wonder why it tastes bad. I find that using eight tablespoons of coffee to one quart of water will make most any coffee acceptable. Certainly using premium coffees will result in a better brew, but using these measurement will even make Maxwell House good to the last drop. :thumbs:

Doc

Very, very true! My wife and I watched the below episode of "Good Eats" and were amazed at what we learned. We tried an experiment making coffee the way we normally did, then the way Alton suggests. When we tasted the outcome I would've sworn there were two completely different qualities of coffee. Alton Brown is one of my favorite chefs, because he has a zany way of explaining the chemistry behind the cooking in a way that's easy to understand and remember. This episode is well worth the 20 minutes it will take to watch it.

Personally, my favorite coffee comes from Greenwell Farms in Hawaii. My wife and I visited the Big Island several years ago, and devoted a day to touring as many coffee farms in the Kona region as it took until we found the perfect cup of Joe. (My wife had a special "coffee" outfit packed just for that day, complete with coffee earrings and a complimentary hand bag. Ahhh...women!)

http://youtu.be/6V-1O2nqars

http://youtu.be/jEcMz4V7wuY