• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba 40th Anniversary barberpoles?

Thanks for clarifying TM. Now we new guys (post-1997) have a better idea of what this means and that's helpful.

It's amazing to me that there is any question that these are real or not. LMAO!

There have been rumblings of a few new sizes produced for the 40th anniversary, but as far as I know none have been released, officially or otherwise. There will be a VERY small number of humidors made with special sizes or quantities of Cohibas inside of them. If what I heard was true, it was only like 40 humidors total to be sold. Another rumor was that all the cigars would be a 40 ring gauge. But, as of yet, none of this has been confirmed by anyone in or out of Havana. There will no doubt be some kind of 40th Anniversary offering during the gala dinner, at the festival and eventually they will make their way into the hands of non-attendees, though expect the prices to be quite high.
LogoCohiba40Aniv-vi.png

The only "new" cigars announced to be officially offered at the festivale are RyJ's.
"Romeo y Julieta is celebrating its 131st anniversary, and the Habano Festival has staged an extraordinary celebration: The Ballet Nacional de Cuba, directed by Alicia Alonso, will perform “Shakespeare and his masks” at the Gran Teatro de La Habana. Later, the new and long-awaited Short Churchills size will be presented, the Robust that the Romeo and Julieta range of vitolas was lacking, and the new image of the brand’s cigar tubes."

Matt R said:
It's amazing to me that there is any question that these are real or not. LMAO!
[snapback]288774[/snapback]​

Not really a question of whether they are fake or not, but rather looking for explicit ammo for me to provide when he replies "Why do you say that?" when I've told him they are fake.

Hev I think nailed where these cigars likely originated; check it out:

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/default.asp?cmd=list&brand=bla

So Pedro...Has got the labels and boxes out from the factory a few months before ? and just made these up with Barber pole cigars?? :0 ??? :whistling:

These could be coming from any one of a number of places. There are factories in Eastern Europe that do nothing but make counterfeit Havanas. Same goes for Jamaica and Mexico. The quality of laser printers nowadays is so remarkable and software packages to make labels, bands is easily obtainable. Combine all the above with insdie people in Havana who are smuggling out vistas, bands, holograms and tax stamps and you have a product that looks very attractive to even those people who should know better.

If the person who has these is intent on believing they are real, you'll never convince them.

Matt R said:
If the person who has these is intent on believing they are real, you'll never convince them.
[snapback]288930[/snapback]​

Sadly, that's quite true.

moki said:
Matt R said:
[snapback]288930[/snapback]​

Sadly, that's quite true.
[snapback]289614[/snapback]​

Problem solved now, right?

moki said:
Welp, he ended up sending 'em to me for amusement's sake:

Montecristo Millenniums:

fake_monte_millenniums.jpg

Hires version

Too funny.
[snapback]299862[/snapback]​

I know that Millenium band is odd compared to the one i smoked:

notice how bold the gold trim is above? in fact the gold line hits the grey at the band intersect

Monte_millenium.jpg

i would be more concerned about the box, if i were the most famous cuban cigar company, and it were my 40th annie, i would have had a better box designed. maybe wood even :rolleyes:

i would be more concerned about the box, if i were the most famous cuban cigar company, and it were my 40th annie, i would have had a better box designed. maybe wood even :rolleyes:

Nah, wood is so 20th century... it's all about plastic coated cardboard, baby.

Hmm not to sound dumb but have you tasted them at all? As far as I know barberpoles aren’t easy to roll so they may have well just rebanded something… they may not be a cohiba but they may also might not suck…. (just trying the glass is half full approach here)

I'm gonna update this thread (and hope somebody is still following 2 years later :))..

I got one of these barberpoles from my boss at the cigar store. He got them (2 total - 1 pyramid, 1 ?? i forget the other size). Looking at the band we could tell the bands at least were fake. The registration is a little off on the side of the band, you'll notice a sliver of a 4th row of white on black blocks JUST starting. Also notice the letters on the main band run into each other.

Whether they're fake 'cubans' or not we're still not sure. They have the almost-tell-tale green spots on the wrapper, reminiscent of cubans. The construction is awesome. I smoked the pyramid today and oh-my-gawd, definately one of my top 10 cigars of all time. strong, rich as all get out, perfect burn and ash as you can see in the attached pics.

So, who knows, but it is one helluva cigar.

SANY0019-small.JPG

SANY0021-small.JPG

SANY0022-small.JPG

-Tony

Tony,

Maybe you got lucky with a tasty fake smoke, but these are surely not authentic, as they were never a Habanos release. Why don't you post an intro and stick around? Cigar Pass is a great resource and community! :thumbs:

I'm gonna update this thread (and hope somebody is still following 2 years later :))..

I got one of these barberpoles from my boss at the cigar store. He got them (2 total - 1 pyramid, 1 ?? i forget the other size). Looking at the band we could tell the bands at least were fake. The registration is a little off on the side of the band, you'll notice a sliver of a 4th row of white on black blocks JUST starting. Also notice the letters on the main band run into each other.

Whether they're fake 'cubans' or not we're still not sure. They have the almost-tell-tale green spots on the wrapper, reminiscent of cubans. The construction is awesome. I smoked the pyramid today and oh-my-gawd, definately one of my top 10 cigars of all time. strong, rich as all get out, perfect burn and ash as you can see in the attached pics.

So, who knows, but it is one helluva cigar.

SANY0019-small.JPG

SANY0021-small.JPG

SANY0022-small.JPG

-Tony

Mmmmm...if it is real, I'm sure it's a tasty cigar. Cohiba BTL...nice ring to it.

They have an excellent Maduro wrapper IMO so it would work.

Brian

Whether they're fake 'cubans' or not we're still not sure.

While it may be made out of Cuban tobacco...it is most definitely fake. Cuba has never officially or unofficially produced a "barber pole" cigar and the 40th Ann. Cohibas were only available in a limited release humidor containing 40 Behikes (a new size for Cohiba) that sold for ~$18,000 when new.

Glad you liked it though, some fakes can be smokable.

Who knows...........I've had a few fake Cohiba Millenium Piramides that actually smoked better than some real Cohibas.

I have smoked this cigar and I will concur - this is actually a really nice smoke. Smooth, tasty and burns well. Even if it is not a Cohiba and even if it is not even Cuban it is a decent cigar. The sad thing is that such a nice smoke really deserves its own label from its true source. I still have an unopened box.

Hello all!
New here but just thought i would mention that i recently purchased one of these and it was great found this site by looking for info about it because my usual Cuban source didn't sell these.
Picked one up at my local shop along with a San Cristobal Mercaderes that was also exceptional.