• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba : fake or real?

The surest way to settle this is to know where they are from. If that shop you mentioned is an official government shop, they are real. If it is not, they are 99% fake.

But they are probably cuban tobacco, and they might be great. Only one way to find out!

JK

Hi Zeebra, I know how you feel. We learn lesson everyday, right?

If you really like to get a real Cohiba Esplendidos, 15's or 25's, please PM me. The price from my source is almost the same as the official price (US$ 508.00 for 25's) in Cuba.

Hey Wilkey, yours Esplendidos look soooooooo real to me. Care to let me taste testing one to see whether they are real? :rolleyes:

Gaman said:
Hey Wilkey, yours Esplendidos look soooooooo real to me. Care to let me taste testing one to see whether they are real? :rolleyes:
[snapback]268430[/snapback]​

Your name wouldn't happen to be "Aizuddin Danian" would it? :p If so, I'd be pleased to send you a few cigars to taste test as your site needs more reviews ;)

But sorry to disappoint you, those are "only" the Siglo VI. Esplendidos should be here in the near future.

On the brightside... they both look like well made tasty cuban cigars.

Take the bands off and smoke them for what they are.

JimK said:
The surest way to settle this is to know where they are from. If that shop you mentioned is an official government shop, they are real. If it is not, they are 99% fake.

But they are probably cuban tobacco, and they might be great. Only one way to find out!

JK
[snapback]268410[/snapback]​

Good point. I'm working on a trade with Zee and hopefully, should be able to post a review of one of the suspected fakes in the near future. In return, I hope Zee will share his experience with a real Siglo VI.

Ginseng said:
Gaman said:
Hey Wilkey, yours Esplendidos look soooooooo real to me. Care to let me taste testing one to see whether they are real?  :rolleyes:

Your name wouldn't happen to be "Aizuddin Danian" would it? :p If so, I'd be pleased to send you a few cigars to taste test as your site needs more reviews ;)

But sorry to disappoint you, those are "only" the Siglo VI. Esplendidos should be here in the near future.
[snapback]268467[/snapback]​

Hi Wilkey,

Siglo VI!!! Much better than those Siglo I I used to smoke. I think Aizuddin is so busy with his work, I don't think he could post any tasting review at the moment. :whistling:

I don't want to burst any bubbles here but more than likely those cigars are rolled with short leaf and not bunched properly.

As far as buying authentic cigars in Cuba; you are more likely to buy a fake there than anywhere in the world (Tijuana close second). The only place you can buy real Cubans is from a SA Habanos dealer or a Cuban Government store.

The chances of you getting some real and some fakes are slim. You paid for them so go ahead and smoke them.

I feel for ya brother, it's definitely wrong to get sold fake cigars. i know you have been expecting these for a while now.

Sending you a Pm to brighten your day. :thumbs:

Gaman said:

Hey Gaman, why don't you run down and buy your own Cohibas, there legal where you live :whistling:
You should be offering us a taste of what you can buy from your local shop.

Rich

Ginseng said:
JimK said:

JK
[snapback]268410[/snapback]​

Good point. I'm working on a trade with Zee and hopefully, should be able to post a review of one of the suspected fakes in the near future. In return, I hope Zee will share his experience with a real Siglo VI.
[snapback]268470[/snapback]​

I'll send you a few of the different "fakes" for your troubles Wilkey. There are 2 sets of fakes, the ones with the 4 dots and the bands with the 3 dots and the white line between the word Cohiba and the gold line. I only have ONE cigar that looks to have a proper band (3 rows of dots, no white line between words) Maybe it's real, maybe not, I'll have to compare it to the genuine smoke I get from you.

Ironworker said:
I don't want to burst any bubbles here but more than likely those cigars are rolled with short leaf and not bunched properly.

As far as buying authentic cigars in Cuba; you are more likely to buy a fake there than anywhere in the world (Tijuana close second). The only place you can buy real Cubans is from a SA Habanos dealer or a Cuban Government store.

The thing that bothers me is that my friend DID buy it at an official SA Habanaos dealer. She bought them at the cigar store on the resort she stayed which is a government run "official" cigar dealer. When I was in Cuba I bought my own Siglo III's without a problem (but I made sure it was a sealed box). I think the problem happened when they asked my friend if it was ok to take the Siglos from an open box they had there and she said sure. I should have told her not to buy anything that didnt' come in a sealed box with the proper stickers/holograms etc. It was my fault for not being clear enough with her. Oh well, at least it's a lesson to anyone else here, if you have a friend buying you cigars in Cuba, make sure they know what they're doing.

i have these for sale if you like :whistling:

dsc020618yo.jpg

GOt them from a friend of a friend who's daughter's sister's cousin visited cuba and brought them back. :D

alexgtp said:

dsc020618yo.jpg

GOt them from a friend of a friend who's daughter's sister's cousin visited cuba and brought them back. :D
[snapback]268652[/snapback]​

I thought the glass-top boxed esplendidos were fakes? Those look pretty good with the seal on the box and all. Geez those fakes are getting better at making them look real.

Zeebra said:
I'll send you a few of the different "fakes" for your troubles Wilkey. There are 2 sets of fakes, the ones with the 4 dots and the bands with the 3 dots and the white line between the word Cohiba and the gold line. I only have ONE cigar that looks to have a proper band (3 rows of dots, no white line between words) Maybe it's real, maybe not, I'll have to compare it to the genuine smoke I get from you.
[snapback]268645[/snapback]​

Thanks Zee. I'm looking forward to taking one apart. Don't know if I'm brave enough to smoke one though. ???

Ginseng said:
Zeebra said:
[snapback]268645[/snapback]​

Thanks Zee. I'm looking forward to taking one apart. Don't know if I'm brave enough to smoke one though. ???
[snapback]268665[/snapback]​

That's the reason I'll send you multiples. I don't really know how to take one apart, so you can experiment and open one up, smoke another etc.

Ironworker said:
I feel for ya brother, it's definitely wrong to get sold fake cigars. i know you have been expecting these for a while now.

Sending you a Pm to brighten your day. :thumbs:
[snapback]268564[/snapback]​

Rich :thumbs:

I believe the cigar on the left has a genuine band. It seems to match the description on the Cigar Aficionado gallery. It has five rows of dots, three above the name, the gold line running though the center of the band, etc. I suggest you look at their comparison, they also have an extensive gallery of fakes.

The cigar on the right has six rows of dots and appears to be counterfeit. Sorry

edited: I just noticed the white line above the gold line, that band is probably counterfeit also.

alexgtp said:

dsc020618yo.jpg

[snapback]268652[/snapback]​

Kick a brother when he's down. That's stiff! :0

JK

duglynukem said:
I believe the cigar on the left has a genuine band. It seems to match the description on the Cigar Aficionado gallery. It has five rows of dots, three above the name, the gold line running though the center of the band, etc. I suggest you look at their comparison, they also have an extensive gallery of fakes.

The cigar on the right has six rows of dots and appears to be counterfeit. Sorry

edited: I just noticed the white line above the gold line, that band is probably counterfeit also.
[snapback]268685[/snapback]​

Yup you're correct. I had thought the bands with 3 rows of dots were real, until someone pointed out the white line above the gold line. In that case, I only have ONE out of 15 that is the real deal (potentially). One of my bands has no obvious flaws, but at this point, I don't even know if I can trust that one.

Ginseng said:
[snapback]268665[/snapback]​

Come on Wilkey. Take one for the team! :D