• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba : fake or real?

alexgtp said:
Smoke them. Thats the best way too tell.
[snapback]268740[/snapback]​

Assuming they didn't cram newspaper and other junk in the middle, you're right. Some of the fakes I've seen you could not pay me enough to smoke, because of the garbage they fill 'em with (literally).

moki said:
alexgtp said:
Smoke them. Thats the best way too tell.
[snapback]268740[/snapback]​

Assuming they didn't cram newspaper and other junk in the middle, you're right. Some of the fakes I've seen you could not pay me enough to smoke, because of the garbage they fill 'em with (literally).
[snapback]268770[/snapback]​

Shhh, don't scare Wilkey...I've just sent him along a package with a few of the fakes.

lucasbuck said:
Ginseng said:
Thanks Zee. I'm looking forward to taking one apart. Don't know if I'm brave enough to smoke one though.  ???
[snapback]268665[/snapback]​

Come on Wilkey. Take one for the team! :D
[snapback]268736[/snapback]​

Well,

Here's my game plan. When I get the fakes in, I will do a detailed inspection of the outside. I'll take high res pictures of the bands, wrapper, bunching, etc. I will then carefully cut the lower 1" off of one of the fakes so that I can unravel that section. Depending on what I find and what other tell-tales I see, I may or may not smoke it. For example, if I see anything that looks like hair or fingernails, it ain't going in my mouth.

How's that?

I'm hoping that we'll all learn a little about the specifics of these particular Fauxhibas.

Ironworker said:
Gaman said:
Hey Wilkey, yours Esplendidos look soooooooo real to me. Care to let me taste testing one to see whether they are real?  :rolleyes:
[snapback]268430[/snapback]​

Hey Gaman, why don't you run down and buy your own Cohibas, there legal where you live :whistling:
You should be offering us a taste of what you can buy from your local shop.

Rich
[snapback]268566[/snapback]​

Ha Ha, Ironworker, you are right. LCDH & Havana Club are only 10 minutes drive from my home. But they sell those Cubans soooo expensive. An Esplendidos will cost me US$ 30-40 a poop. :angry2: I rather get it from online stores, 50% cheaper ;) . I did offer to trade my Cuban with CP members a month back. So far only 3 takers. :whistling:

I read this post and I had to register.
The same thing just happened to me. I just had a friend return from cuba with two boxes from the same resort. They did everything right and got the proper receipts. One box was was legit and one was fake. They stayed at the exact same resort(breezes jibacoa). It is a legit shop which probably means the store workers have a scam going on at this particular store at this time.
So even at the legitimate shops it is buyer beware.

I've only been to Cuba once, but I've only bought from the cigar factory and the airport. Anyone says "it's more expensive there".... well you know what? I'd rather pay a bit more than get ripped.

Besides - what's an extra few dollars anyways when you are buying 25?

nucksfan said:
I read this post and I had to register.
The same thing just happened to me. I just had a friend return from cuba with two boxes from the same resort. They did everything right and got the proper receipts. One box was was legit and one was fake. They stayed at the exact same resort(breezes jibacoa). It is a legit shop which probably means the store workers have a scam going on at this particular store at this time.
So even at the legitimate shops it is buyer beware.
[snapback]269088[/snapback]​

Bloody Breezes Jibacoa! I stayed at a better resort when I was there, part of the Sandals line. Didn't have an issue with the cigar store on that resort.

I emailed Habanos S.A. to let them know about the scam going on at the cigar store on Breezes Jibacoa. Probably nothing will happen, but at least they can't say they didn't know about it now. I emailed both the Havana House affliate here in Canada and Habanos S.A. off their website. Website is here Habanos S.A. in case you're interested.

That's the problem with you FOGs running off all the asshats. Now there's too much love :love:

Forbidden cigars, forbidden love...what's next?

hudsonvalley said:
That's the problem with you FOGs running off all the asshats. Now there's too much love :love:

Forbidden cigars, forbidden love...what's next?
[snapback]269564[/snapback]​

How about forbidden fruit. Durian anyone? Moki? ;)

Hi Wilkey,

I am in. Thats the "Cohiba" of all fruits. I am sure Moki will agree. :laugh:

Got Ginseng's REAL Cohiba. It was easy to see the fake from the real based on the construction of the cigar. The real one is perfect colour, no problems with the wrapper. The fakes have bad colour, some rough spots etc.

Here are pics:

img42034jg.jpg

img42048ly.jpg

img42068zu.jpg

img42075wq.jpg

img42085lf.jpg

Hmm. Jabba pointed out that on the real Cohiba, the gold stripe over the word Cohiba goes THROUGH the top band of dots. Is this ok? This is a real Cohiba given to me by Ginseng.

Zeebra said:
Hmm. Jabba pointed out that on the real Cohiba, the gold stripe over the word Cohiba goes THROUGH the top band of dots. Is this ok? This is a real Cohiba given to me by Ginseng.
[snapback]271808[/snapback]​

I just checked my CoRo's, and several are like this...I think it's not an issue.

Zeebra said:

Dude,
You're killing me!

But seriously, how about a resize of those pics. I'm on dial-up and I had time to go smoke an Esplendido while those uploaded. :p

But really seriously, glad you got the stick ok. Based on your pics, I would NOT light up the four-dot fake and stick it in my mouth. That is the fugliest damned mockery of a Cohiba I've ever seen. Also, in addition to the look, you should try smelling them. I bet the fugazies smell nothing like a genuine triple-fermented Cohiba.

Wilkey

Ginseng said:
Zeebra said:

Dude,
You're killing me!

But seriously, how about a resize of those pics. I'm on dial-up and I had time to go smoke an Esplendido while those uploaded. :p

But really seriously, glad you got the stick ok. Based on your pics, I would NOT light up the four-dot fake and stick it in my mouth. That is the fugliest damned mockery of a Cohiba I've ever seen. Also, in addition to the look, you should try smelling them. I bet the fugazies smell nothing like a genuine triple-fermented Cohiba.

Wilkey
[snapback]271828[/snapback]​

Hehe, the 4 dot one is pretty damn ugly isn't it? I'm left with alot of the really ugly ones cause I sent you and lucasbuck 3 each of the "better fakes" to see what you thought.

Our post office must suck cause I mailed my package to you before you mailed yours to me.

Zeebra said:
Hmm.  Jabba pointed out that on the real Cohiba, the gold stripe over the word Cohiba goes THROUGH the top band of dots.  Is this ok?  This is a real Cohiba given to me by Ginseng.

Yup. The stick that Wilkey sent to you is a fake. :laugh: Since you are so worry, why don't you send it over here and let me try it. ;) No worries, Zeebra. Let the real one sit in your humidor for a month and burn it up. Try the fake ones first then the real. I am sure you will see the difference between yours and his.

Zee,

Still no sticks. Maybe Monday. That would put it at a week plus a few days.