• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba Maduro 5, Real or Fake?

Sorry, but they're fake. The box code gets stamped on the outer cardboard they come in. The construction of the box itself is the second tell. Last, the wrappers look like they've been dyed. Return them to your pal if you can.

Who are you? 

:sign:  Howzit John! 

I know! I felt bad commenting but I've gotten a fake box of these before ;)

Dave, doing good bro, how are you?! We're moving to Chicago next Tuesday.

You are very keen to be spooked by such dark Cohibas. There are no such things as dark Cohibas, for a maduro wrapped Cohiba is a heresy to the marca.

So consider these fake regardless and go get yourself some CAO Brazilias.

WTFYOLOAFKWTF?

No maduro Cohibas, eh?

*EDIT* Apologies. I read the comments from CMontoya to this individual in the other thread after I posted this. Still, though... WTF? Troll in the midst?

mk05 said:
You are very keen to be spooked by such dark Cohibas. There are no such things as dark Cohibas, for a maduro wrapped Cohiba is a heresy to the marca.

So consider these fake regardless and go get yourself some CAO Brazilias.

Euh....Ever heard of the Maduro 5 line? 

Yea the joke was that they should never have been made in the first place

mk05 said:
I picked up on the joke and actually lol'ed.

Maduro Cohiba's mmmmm no thanks!

mk05 said:
BTW, it's nice to see that you made it over to CP. Hope you enjoy your time here as much as I do. This is a superior board IMHO.

Jason

Sorry the joke passed in front of me like a train and I did not see it go thru. 

For my part I love the maduro 5 line (when they are not plugged lol)

Backslide said:
I picked up on the joke and actually lol'ed.

Maduro Cohiba's mmmmm no thanks!

mk05 said:
>Yea the joke was that they should never have been made in the first place
BTW, it's nice to see that you made it over to CP. Hope you enjoy your time here as much as I do. This is a superior board IMHO.

Jason

Thanks, seems like a funny crew here. 

Louich, I tried to like them because I used to like NC maduro, but that was it to me. These don't exemplify a CC to me, more like mimicking an NC thing.

AH ! your right about them having nothing to do with the usual CC offering. But still if you have any more you dont want to smoke : addy in the profile lol  :laugh:

mk05 said:

False, quite a few pre '94 Cohibas were made with a dark Corojo wrapper.

I only read this thread because I saw Devin posted.  I believe him

Did the dark corojo wrappers go through maduro fermentation?

The maduro Cohibas I've smoked were fantastic. Deep flavor, no grassiness, and a nice sweet undertone. To say they aren't Cohibas is just silly. If they are following the same idea of more properly processed tobacco, or leaf quality, then why can't it be a legitimate line extension?

Nothing is more irritating than a person who is so dogmatic, missing out on the many joys of of life, trying to spread his misery to others.

Just smoked a few of these in Bermuda. They were asking $45/ea. I wouldn't buy them at that price, but they ended up giving me a few before the night was out, along with all of our drinks a leather case, and PSD4s. My wife started selling cigars for them and they had their best night ever, lol. Thanks Ronnie, love that girl.

Ive smoked the secretos, genios, and magicos - and have owned boxes of the genios multiple times. Your pictures show no indication these are fake in my opinion. The band is also correct, if there are three dots, if the gold cohiba rectangle border doesnt overlap any of the dots, and the gold lettering is slightly embossed you are good to go on the esthetic end. Look inside the box on the top half, all maduro 5s boxes have a cohiba maduro sticker inside the box.. yours is covered with the cedar sheet so I cant see...

Color of the cigars look fine too- may be the cause of lighting in the pic that make them seem darker- but they look good. The construction of the foot and overall length being consistent with all of them also indicate real.

Although exact construction may be replicated, and real used boxes may be used- the only real way to tell is to smoke them. I did this with a few other suspect Cubans I was questioning. The maduro's I bought from the same place looked great and authentic, but after educating myself on the looks and how some fake manufacturers and replicate exactly- the taste test gave it away. The ones I questioned were definitely fake.

The tobacco was surely cuban, it had that distinct cuban taste. But it must have all been from the same farm, as the tobacco was just so mild, green tea leafy, no real punch power or complexity either.

If you taste a mildness in the Maduro 5, youre not smoking the real thing. If it tastes like green tea and slightly tarry, you know youve been owned. If you have rich, creamy, evolving taste with a sweet undertone you definitely are smoking the real thing. Youll find chocolate, espresso, spice on the lips (which fakes wont have). You won't have to look for that dark chocolate and cocoa/sweet taste- it will be there upon first draw. Keep these things in mind when you smoke em and let me know what you find

FYI on the fake CCs.. It amazes me how close to the real thing the fake manufacturers are getting. I mean its really like those seriously good fake rolex's from China that still sell for $500-600 whereas everything is identical including box and papers, but the only thing is that inside is china movement instead of swiss. You would never know unless you upen up the watch.
Same way you would never know unless you smoke the cigar, or cut it in half. Even if you do cut it in half, unless you know how proper construction looks- you could be fooled. You have to trust your taste ultimately.

The reason why they make these so well is catered towards the online market. No fake manufacturer in cuba would bother making them that good to sell on the streets. People still fall for the glass top box of cohibas and if they are buying those, they deserve to smoke them.  These producers of "good fakes" sell to the online masses as there is hardly any recourse against them, but more so to the person buying lol.

There are fakes that are easily recognizable; misconstructed case, logos off, rings messed up, stamps, etc.

Then there are the other kind of fakes: in this case, trust your experience, the smell and especially, trust your taste buds.

Also know these two facts.... there is always irregular production in Cuba, and you are smoking Cuban cigars for the cigar, not the bands.

Quality control in Cuba is still very subpar so avoid the bad cigars, even if they are genuine, and don't avoid very good genuine cigars only because the cedar sheet is not cut with a perfect half circle on the corner