• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cops, Lawyers, Outlaws, and Asshats!

Something funny is going on with the "quote" system it seems...

I look at it like this. On more than one occasion, I see the regular production sticks that are in the CFCF sell for $25-$30. The PFR is more rare. So the question is, what's MSRP on the PFR? I would guess around $30-$35 a stick. If this is the case, the Opus does not match in rarity, and I believe it does not exceed the value(price wise) of the PFR.

Other than that, all the other P/T's look great. :thumbs:

Joe

Well, based on that information, and the previous handling of that cigar in passes, I approve all your puts and takes.

Now Phil, the follow up question I guess is, going forward in the pass does that Opus RdC carry an msrp value of $45 if anyone wanted to take it?

I look at it like this. On more than one occasion, I see the regular production sticks that are in the CFCF sell for $25-$30. The PFR is more rare. So the question is, what's MSRP on the PFR? I would guess around $30-$35 a stick. If this is the case, the Opus does not match in rarity, and I believe it does not exceed the value(price wise) of the PFR.

Joe
Good point but I think the padrons are $25. Am I right?

Joe
Good point but I think the padrons are $25. Am I right?

Not sure, Jon. On average, they go for $30ish(give or take a couple $$). I could be wrong.

Joe

Is the 2008 the one that went for 900 instead of 750? I mean by raw numbers I think it should be worth 1/22 of the box price but the frequency of them in the set usually does affect things.

Also even though I said precedent has been set it doesn't mean this shouldn't be discussed. Personally I think it is sort of a raw deal when these things happen, from the top to the bottom. I mean Juan almost certainly paid full price for it, probably drawing through one of the CF 22 lotteries, so he shouldn't get shafted for his money just because it is a less desirable size. At the same time, it seems like the next step in passing, if there is to be evolution, is to give some thought to how things like this are dealt with to keep things fair for everyone. My big concern with assigning an arbitrary value to it somewhere between the production value and CF22 value is how do you apply that to other instances? Also does that mean that a monte 4 reserva is worth the same as a comparably aged production monte 4 (sort of playing devils advocate as their are technical differences)?

Is the 2008 the one that went for 900 instead of 750? I mean by raw numbers I think it should be worth 1/22 of the box price but the frequency of them in the set usually does affect things.

Doesn't the box factor into the cost of the price? I always assumed it did.

I have seen someone drop coin for it when they really wanted one and seen it just raffled off to one of the participants in a split. Personally I think it is just a big opus box, nothing particularly special about it. I just had a great guy on these boards send me an Opus A box gratis because its presence was annoying him so I don't attribute too much value to the empty box. The thing to remember is, while there is a clear attributable value to the prometheus humi from say, a lost city split or a GoF humi split, the cf22 is just a box. It is NOT a fully functional humidor designed by prometheus or some other fancy pants producer.

The PFR 45 has an MSRP of $25. The PFR 44 MSRP is $35. I’ve been able to purchase them at my local for I believe $25 or $27. I also know they are supposed to be a limited production cigar, but at least right now they are pretty easily found.

As for the RdC, I don’t think you can factor in a value for the humidor/box. I’ve never seen one sold on it’s own, and most of the time they get raffled off during the box splits. I also agree with Phil that I think you have to assign the RdC one value or the other. It’s either msrp of the regular production RdC, or it’s the value of the box/22. I think it would be impossible to agree on an arbitrary value somewhere in between.

I got the RdC in a CFCF box split/raffle so it cost me around $40. I dont know if there is any difference between that an one bought from a regular opus release. However, if you guys think it is atleast a fare trade, then I'm good with that. As for settling on the actual price- i dont really care, but I think that for the interest of this Pass, keeping it at the lower cost would make it more availible for P/T's for the masses.

I did recieve the pass box today but have not yet opened or inspected it.

Based on previous passes the precedent is set for the msrp to make your put/take work. For sake of keeping the pass moving I say go for it, and if anyone wants to take that cigar down the line, I'll weigh my thoughts on it more then.

I do however, want to continue this discussion, and I think I'll post something up in the Cigar Lounge to bring in a wider group opinion for those that aren't in the pass and don't follow along. And all this time I thought Phil ran the "You learn something new pass." :laugh:

I would put the value of the RdC at the regular release MSRP, simply because there is no difference between them that I know of, it's one of those risks you take when you do one of those raffles(I still have no idea why those are in the CFCF boxes).

I opened the package tonight and the temp and humidity look good, mid to high 60's. LEt me know if my P/T's are good (i guess right now the question is the PAdron for the RdC) and I can get this off to the next guy.

My screw up. I thought for some reason we were talking about the 44s. I forgot about the 45s until I saw Brent's post.

I would put the value of the RdC at the regular release MSRP, simply because there is no difference between them that I know of, it's one of those risks you take when you do one of those raffles(I still have no idea why those are in the CFCF boxes).

Filler. It is the same reason the cable company lumps channels that aren't similar into tiers. Why let you get the few cigars you want at a reasonable price when you can lump them all together and charge more.

Don't forget its a donation as well and therefor a tax write off :D

I'm not going to quibble over the RdC for Padron. The precedent is there, even if I'm still not sure if I agree with it. Jon, go with them, and get in touch with MadMonk to verify his address. Thanks for playing.

Well, if everyone is ok with this, then cool, if not, I can try to find a something closer. I'll PM MadMonk tonight. Let me know in the next day if there are any objections to this.

I agree with you, Joe. Whether it came in a fancy box or not, this is a regular release stick. If there was something more unique about it like a maduro wrapper or something then fine but I do not understand this to be the case. The pass is only getting a regular release stick and to attach the higher value because of how the cigar was acquired is artificially inflating the trade value.

I agree with you, Joe. Whether it came in a fancy box or not, this is a regular release stick. If there was something more unique about it like a maduro wrapper or something then fine but I do not understand this to be the case. The pass is only getting a regular release stick and to attach the higher value because of how the cigar was acquired is artificially inflating the trade value.

Both valid points Joe Joe and Stu. IDK, nothing against Jon, but I would've changed the P/T to something closer.

Here are my P/T's:
T: # 2 WOAM / P: AF Anejo #55 2009 (#88)
T: #49 Punch S.S. #1 / P: BBF 2007 (#89)
T: #67 Padron 45th / P: FFOX RdC from the 2008 Opus X 22 CFCF box (#87)
T: #74 ERDM Choix Supreme 2006 / P: PSD4 2005 (#90)
T: #78 Liga Privada #9 / P: WCD 122 yr Anni. La Aurora Escogidas (#91)
P: #92 El Triunfador
P: #93 Tatuaje Noella Reserva 2009