• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

COVID-19 vaccine, you getting it?

Oddly enough I just got to work and was talking with our events director; he had Covid at the end of October, at that time we were told by the professionals that the antibodies would last 3 months. Shortly after that some professional came out and said they now last up to 5 months or longer. Well anyways, our events director went for his annual check up on March 1st and they did an antibody test and he is still "positive" for it, meaning he still is immune to it. So that is at least 4-5 months, it could be longer...who the hell knows?
But as for your daughter and her experience, I know we have talked about it before, but I had the same deal on Jan. 27 2020.

My Fiance and I got Covid mid March of 2020. It was a mild case for both of us. Being that we live in NY and it was the beginning of the pandemic it was impossible to get tested. We both knew that it had to be Covid since we lost smell and taste for a few weeks etc. It wasn't until around November that we happened to be getting blood tests for other reasons and we asked for the antibody tests just for our own knowledge. Both of us still tested positive for the antibodies over 8 months out. I'm of the opinion since this is a new disease and there is no history on it that they really have no clue how long the antibodies will last and they are just guessing and moving the mark as they get more knowledge.

All that being said I'm not going to rush out to get the vaccine since I have natural immunity at this point. I'm pretty sure once the world opens up and I need to start traveling overseas for business again I'll be forced to take it which I am fine with.

Ya'll are welcome to contact Rod or report it and have him shut this down. It has served its purpose for me, which was mainly to gather insight into what others have heard/seen or know about the vaccine itself. I also don't want people to be alienated just from a topic posted, so I'm down for that, or if there is a way I can shut it down let me know.

The problem with this thread is it should have been a survey type. Yes, No, Undecided. It leads for people to post their personal bias, which may or may not include political commentary. Rod should just close it as it doesn't serve a purpose anymore.

Agreed. When a disclaimer is needed, in the OP, it's probably not going to go well.

Are the antibodies permanent once you've had COVID? My daughter in Hawaii is currently positive for it, and has been moderately sickly for the past two weeks with the usual suspects as far as symptoms go. She's had two positive tests, so she's definitely got it. Now, at the end of 2019, before COVID-19 and "coronavirus" were part of our daily lexicon, she was very, very sick with flu and other symptoms for several weeks. Lots of respiratory problems, and she should have been admitted to the hospital on probably more than one occasion, but she never went back when she really needed to (hey, what does Dad know...?). It was definitely some sort of flu (so, a coronavirus), but this was well before COVID testing. She worked in tourism at the time down in Waikiki, and regularly came into contact with visitors from China and other eastern areas. She had her annual flu shot, as well. I'm not a doctor, I don't play one on TV, and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but it feels to me like it could have surely been an early, undiagnosed COVID-19 case. So, question is: If she already had it over a year ago, can someone get it again?

Re: Anthrax -- I mentioned this debacle somewhere else. Those were some bullshit times, for sure. Never got sick, myself, but know someone who developed perpetual headaches after starting the series. Related? Can't say for myself. There were absolutely cases of severe and life-altering side effects from it. As mentioned, good people were punished and/or separated for refusal to take the shots. Once it finally became optional, you still had to jump through a mile of flaming hoops to opt out -- and in many cases it still left an unofficial black mark on your career. The anthrax vax only impacted readiness if you were going into the AOR where exposure was a possibility. COVID exposure is worldwide and prevalent at home, as well. I'm not sure how DoD is handling it (flu shots used to be mandatory); I'll have to ask my wife. She's civ DoD, so won't be mandated in any manner, but definitely plans on getting it when available at the embassy.

To answer your question: yes - you can get covid more than once. The antibodies are not permanent / or at least not at the levels at which is needed to prevent reinfection.

Regarding your daughter’s story: I work in an ER and we had so many flulike symptoms come in and test negative for flu A and B prior to the first confirmed case in the US. It is my assumption that covid was here months before we began testing for it.

EmergenCigar makes some good points.

I get a flu shot every flu season & I try to get them early.
I went to bed on the evening of December 25, 2019, just fine as wine & when I woke up the next morning 12/26/19, I felt like I had been run over by a freight train. Couldn't taste a thing, achy, could hardly breathe, coughing like mad, no appetite, pretty much everything for symptoms.
Went to a quick clinic & they said it was viral because it wasn't bacterial but they said they don't test for flu so, they said we are gonna call it "flu."
I'm like WTF? They also said the flu vaccine wasn't very good for the 2019/2020 flu season. I was like, yeah. :p
I was down HARD for a solid 72 hours before I got better. Some times my breathing was so shallow I thought I was gonna stop breathing.
After I started getting better I felt like I was in some kind of fog for about two weeks.
Never felt like that with flu before but I'm a lot older now than when I had flu last in 2002 ........................... old 🤣

Come to think of it. My wife and I both had some funk late 19 / early 20 that didn't show up on any flu tests. They even checked me for strep. All showed negative.

Boss and a few others in the office all recall having similar...all this was several weeks before the Rodeo shut down. That's when it became "real" for Houston.

Ya'll are welcome to contact Rod or report it and have him shut this down. It has served its purpose for me, which was mainly to gather insight into what others have heard/seen or know about the vaccine itself. I also don't want people to be alienated just from a topic posted, so I'm down for that, or if there is a way I can shut it down let me know.
Pretty sure you’re not responsible for the state of politics in the world. Or are you? 🧐

This thread is a bad idea. I see politics from both sides all over it, and only chances for us to alienate each other, instead of coming together over cigars.
Time for an Illusione.

I would proffer the thought here that a pandemic that's killed over half a million of us and the means to fight it being seen as "politics" and as having "sides" is a huge part of the problem in this country that's necessitated Cigar Pass having a "no politics" rule in the first place.

tenor.gif

I'll see myself out. ;)

~Boar

I got the second shot of Pfizer a couple of weeks ago. Each dose made me tired for a couple of hours but only the second dose made me achy enough to take a couple of Tylenol. I'm considered immunocompromised, so rather than take a chance and see how getting COVID would affect me if I got it, I opted for the vaccine.

Come to think of it. My wife and I both had some funk late 19 / early 20 that didn't show up on any flu tests. They even checked me for strep. All showed negative.

Boss and a few others in the office all recall having similar...all this was several weeks before the Rodeo shut down. That's when it became "real" for Houston.

There was a very nasty bug going around at the end of 2019. Was at a trade show in Vegas at that time that had a heavy international attendance especially from China. Towards the end of the show and afterwards lots of people I know had really bad flu like symptoms. I've heard through many contacts that it spread through the show with lots of people coming down with the illness after coming home. We all now wonder if that was COVID.

I just got my second Moderna shot on Friday. Suffered slight fatigue, but it wasn't too big of a deal. The first shot in February knocked me on my butt though. Anecdotally, everyone says either the first or second shot will be rough. The med tech who gave me the second shot said if the first one is rough, it's usually a sign someone's already had COVID.

I've been surprised how much peace of mind the vaccination gives is me. It's like I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I certainly understand why some people are distrustful, and at the end of the day we all have to do what's right for us. Back in the day I opted out of the Anthrax-series after 3 shots. IMHO, the mRNA manipulation-techniques behind these vaccines is a lot more trustworthy.

I just got my second Moderna shot on Friday. Suffered slight fatigue, but it wasn't too big of a deal. The first shot in February knocked me on my butt though. Anecdotally, everyone says either the first or second shot will be rough. The med tech who gave me the second shot said if the first one is rough, it's usually a sign someone's already had COVID.

I've been surprised how much peace of mind the vaccination gives is me. It's like I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I certainly understand why some people are distrustful, and at the end of the day we all have to do what's right for us. Back in the day I opted out of the Anthrax-series after 3 shots. IMHO, the mRNA manipulation-techniques behind these vaccines is a lot more trustworthy.
Don't go towards the light! Good info to know about the first shot possibly affecting those with a previous Covid case.

EmergenCigar makes some good points.

I get a flu shot every flu season & I try to get them early.
I went to bed on the evening of December 25, 2019, just fine as wine & when I woke up the next morning 12/26/19, I felt like I had been run over by a freight train. Couldn't taste a thing, achy, could hardly breathe, coughing like mad, no appetite, pretty much everything for symptoms.
Went to a quick clinic & they said it was viral because it wasn't bacterial but they said they don't test for flu so, they said we are gonna call it "flu."
I'm like WTF? They also said the flu vaccine wasn't very good for the 2019/2020 flu season. I was like, yeah. :p
I was down HARD for a solid 72 hours before I got better. Some times my breathing was so shallow I thought I was gonna stop breathing.
After I started getting better I felt like I was in some kind of fog for about two weeks.
Never felt like that with flu before but I'm a lot older now than when I had flu last in 2002 ........................... old 🤣

I may be wrong on the year but I believe 2019/20 was the year they had the "strain" wrong on some/most of the flu vaccines. This may have been the issue for that year. If they guess wrong, the vaccine is ineffective. Anyway, I don't get he flu vaccine because I don't believe eI need it yet. In the future, possibly. Again, get em if ya want em!

Floyd T

I would proffer the thought here that a pandemic that's killed over half a million of us and the means to fight it being seen as "politics" and as having "sides" is a huge part of the problem in this country that's necessitated Cigar Pass having a "no politics" rule in the first place.

View attachment 40005

I'll see myself out. ;)

~Boar

No, actually we've had the "No Politics" rule in place for a lot longer than the China virus has been around. Really, we have. Go back and look.

Floyd T

Next question: Do any of the manufacturers seem to be incurring more side effects than the other (I know that J&J is just now out). From what I understand, most of Europe is using the AstraZeneca, while USoA is predominantly (but not totally) Pfizer and Moderna. Is that correct? The Netherlands is distributing AstraZeneca, but just got the email today from the embassy to make an appointment for the Pfizer poke.

Saw somewhere today that some EU country is pulling the AZ vax. Not sure why.

Sorry, know that isn't helpful, but I'll update if I find the story.

Just wanna say , America rules! 3 vaccines and 2ndplace is UK with USSR having version, if you want to believe Putin and China not having anything. USA! USA! USA!

But then look at the other side of the story .......... the US has only 4.5% of the world's population BUT 25% of the world's COVID deaths.

I didn't make that up; those are facts ............ nothing to be joyous about, nor proud of ............. it's pretty sad, actually ................