• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CP’s Cigars 201-2 Pass

Not to speak out of turn or to harp the obvious, but any markup for rarity is already reflected in the price, if a cigar can be found for sale. Rarity would only apply when you can no longer purchase them from a retailer, just collectors.

Good stuff here! So on the Liberty specifically, is it readily available from any retailers? I've not been able to find any online; however maybe someone knows of a local that still has some. If someone does, do you have pricing?

A question based on the first sentence: Can you trade a rare cigar with a non-rare cigar that costs more?

Take care of yourself bruddah Los, your wisecracks will surely be missed in this pass!

Julius, I found this page off of FSS Linky . If it doesn't show up, I saw the single going for $13.50

FWIW, here's a blog page from MJM Cigars Linky

It is a hard cigar to find pricing on and since they make it different each year, rarity might be a factor to this cigar. I've never smoked one so I can't really give you any opinion on taste. What were you planning on subbing as your put?

dave

Good info Dave! I also found this one showing $16 and another with a $14.45 price. Say the average would be around $14.50 or so, thoughts anyone?

Dave, you posted that rarity might be a factor. Tell us more about why you think this. To the rest of the class, what are your opinions? Is there rarity value to the Liberty? If so, why? Or, why not?

Not to speak out of turn or to harp the obvious, but any markup for rarity is already reflected in the price, if a cigar can be found for sale. Rarity would only apply when you can no longer purchase them from a retailer, just collectors.
Great point...

The best way is to post your P/T's and we can go from there.

I will keep you in my prayers Los.

Brian

Good stuff here! So on the Liberty specifically, is it readily available from any retailers? I've not been able to find any online; however maybe someone knows of a local that still has some. If someone does, do you have pricing?

A question based on the first sentence: Can you trade a rare cigar with a non-rare cigar that costs more?
Great question Greg..... I believe that rarity should match somewhat. Some sticks are harder to find than others and can MAYBE make up a little on MSRP. But its still up to pass host.

Brian

Famous would sell one for $13.50 probably with no coffin if they had one Linky.

This place Linky supposedly has a box of 2004's for $288 but I've never heard of them.

I suppose something could be added for rarity since it appears that no one has the 2007. Several vendors have the newer releases and they seem to be around $15 each by the box while singles go for $16.50.

So for my money go ahead and take the Liberty and replace it with something like a Cohiba or Don Carlos. :whistling:

KISS

Go with MSRP.
Then go with an added percent(say 3%) per year for age.
Then rarity becomes a question of integrity! ;)

If you have to ask. ;)

-----------------------------------

There's also the question...are the 2007 Liberty in demand smokes?

Great question Greg..... I believe that rarity should match somewhat. Some sticks are harder to find than others and can MAYBE make up a little on MSRP. But its still up to pass host.

Brian

I'm still learning so I don't really know how to answer the question but what Brian said makes sense to me.

Bill

KISS

Go with MSRP.

If you have to ask. ;)

I was thinking about this, and for most smokes I agree with the %3 thing. But think of some current-production smoke that increase in value significantly with age. Although we're talking about a Camacho Liberty, I thought I'd bring this up since I thought about this scenario prior to the start of the pass. For example, if you have a 20 yr old PSD 4 that retails for roughly $8-10, at 3% increase, this 20 year old stick would be worth $14-16. That obviously wouldn't work with this scenario, so in a lot of cases, I'd think it's a play it by ear type of thing.

CI has 2009 Libertys for:

2009 Liberty (6.0" x 56)

COFFIN OF 1 CIGAR In Stock $16.50

CHEST OF 20 1-2 weeks $330.00$296.95

KISS

Go with MSRP.

If you have to ask. ;)

I was thinking about this, and for most smokes I agree with the %3 thing. But think of some current-production smoke that increase in value significantly with age. Although we're talking about a Camacho Liberty, I thought I'd bring this up since I thought about this scenario prior to the start of the pass. For example, if you have a 20 yr old PSD 4 that retails for roughly $8-10, at 3% increase, this 20 year old stick would be worth $14-16. That obviously wouldn't work with this scenario, so in a lot of cases, I'd think it's a play it by ear type of thing.

You missed the third line!

Another thing being missed is the more detail: did I buy the smokes at $8 20 years ago, or buy them recently for $14 or $25.
Sale have occured on aged/htf sticks not only on websites and forums...but auctions as well. Do we go by the auction price? What if it is a charity auction?

Again...KISS.

Start with the basics and move on from those. In this case...it's a $12 cigar with a couple years on it..I wouldn't really add the 3% for just a couple years...but it could be done.

Sell it or trade it for what you paid...if you have a question about a p/t or even a trade/sale...PM Insight!

This really has been dicussed in numerous threads.

I agree these points have been discussed ad nauseum in other PASS threads.

However a little discussion on these subjects or any PASS subjects for that matter in this PASS thread could/should/may be enlightening for us newer guys who haven't participated in a lot of PASS'es if any PASS'es. :thumbs: (In my opinion)

However a little discussion on these subjects or any PASS subjects for that matter in this PASS thread could/should/may be enlightening for us newer guys who haven't participated in a lot of PASS'es if any PASS'es. :thumbs: (In my opinion)

Agreed, I am encouraging students in my class passes to have these discussions, debate, question, etc. as that is what it is for: Learning. Not only the newer folks benefit, but some of us that have been around a little longer might learn a thing or two.

I have this note in the rules, "...we will go by the average of what a cigar is going for at the time of the T/P, not what it was paid for at time of purchase." I think this is where the integrity plays a big part in pass trading.

What would the put value be if you took a whole pass...

...set it outside at night, in an open area and pour gasoline on it...

....then set fire to it and watched it blaze up while melting the case on your iphone?

csi-miami.jpg

....then set fire to it and watched it blaze up while melting the case on your iphone?

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

csi-miami.jpg

Hey hey! Watch it! :laugh: No pirates 'round these parts. :whistling:

Has any P/T's been put up around all this discussion???? :laugh: :laugh:

Brian

Pass has arrived!!!

I am going to go ahead and post my first P/T, but there'll be 1-2 more this evening. There's a lot information that was posted since I posted my question and so I need to get caught up(damn working in a school, with web filtering).

All prices were done by averaging available prices from the comparison sheet. If the cigar was proprietary release, then I just went with the store's price.

T: Tatuaje Petite Caz Reserva - $4.04
P: Don Pepin Firecracker (2guys smoke shop) - $3.99

T: Camacho Liberty 2007 w/Coffin - $14.50 (just went this Greg's Avg, but still open to discussion)
P: CAO Odyssey w/ Coffin - $14.00

T: Johnny-O Caz Shagfoot - $8.20
P: RyJ Short Churchill - $8.28

Good info Dave! I also found this one showing $16 and another with a $14.45 price. Say the average would be around $14.50 or so, thoughts anyone?

Dave, you posted that rarity might be a factor. Tell us more about why you think this. To the rest of the class, what are your opinions? Is there rarity value to the Liberty? If so, why? Or, why not?

If we were referring to other previous years of this run, rarity may come into play, however, I forgot I found this '07 in this sampler with carrying case Camacho Executive Traveling bag

No rarity after all, since it can still be found, although you'd have to spread the cost over the other cigars and the leather bag.

And LEAVE HORATIO ALONE! :p

<edit for emoticon>

If we were referring to other previous years of this run, rarity may come into play, however, I forgot I found this '07 in this sampler with carrying case Camacho Executive Traveling bag

No rarity after all, since it can still be found, although you'd have to spread the cost over the other cigars and the leather bag.

And LEAVE HORATIO ALONE! :p

<edit for emoticon>

:laugh: Awesome! Some serious detective skills there Dave! I'm really liking that case...but the cigars? Mmmm...Idunno. :D

I used to like the Camacho corojo's but they don't hold up to aging too well, IMO. I heard the triple maduro's were pretty good.

Speaking of triples.........NSFW

That's what I said too! :sign: