• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Craft Beer And Cigar Pairings

chestrockwell80

As a Cigar newbie i don't have any experience with this but love the idea. Knowing a lot about GOOD BEER, and not as much about cigars, I think it has the potential to also be a great learning experience,and a stepping stone in determining the different flavors and Smells of Quality Smokes. It could be a interesting topic for the Beer Section if members could post some of their parings or ideas.
Thanks a lot -bryan

There was a program on FLN (Fine Living Network) not to long ago about this very same subject. Check your listings. It was called "Beer Pairings", plainly enough, I believe.

From my own experiments, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Stone Russian Imperial Stout, and darker beers have paired well with cigars. I had a Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen that matched a Padron step for step and was awesome. Granted, I like maddies and I like heavier stouts and such, so your mileage may vary.

There was a program on FLN (Fine Living Network) not to long ago about this very same subject. Check your listings. It was called "Beer Pairings", plainly enough, I believe.

From my own experiments, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Stone Russian Imperial Stout, and darker beers have paired well with cigars. I had a Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen that matched a Padron step for step and was awesome. Granted, I like maddies and I like heavier stouts and such, so your mileage may vary.

x2

I am repeating myself a little here, as I have said this in other threads, but I pair Storm King with whiskey and cigars all the time (Ashton VSG is a great example that goes well with pretty much any heavier beer and whiskey for my palate). I have also done this with SA Chocolate. I believe your line of thinking is right on. Experiment and post on it. :thumbs:

aw man Schlenkerla great smoke beer, what padron was it do you remember?

It was a Padron 4000. Nothing fancy but I had a feeling that the Padron would keep up with the smokebeer and vice versa. It was delicious!

I have been getting into beer a whole lot more now that I have discovered, for myself, the delectable goodness that can be found in Craft beers. Honestly I used to tolerate beer, and used to think beer was the worst pairing with a cigar. Today either my palate has changed, or more likely, I have broadened my perview and found a much wider selection of beers that I enjoy. :)

I recently stumbled across Laughing Dog's Dogfather Imperial Stout. It wasn't a beer that I probably would have tried on my own, but I was making some purchases for my SS kid and the lovely beer assistant suggested I try a glass of the Dogfather they just got on tap... and it was phenomenal. :thumbs:

Tonight I wanted to smoke a cigar and read a bit about the art of Homebrew. And after some pondering I thought Padron's 45th Anniversary cigar would probably compliment that stout nicely. Holy Crap! That pairing is MONEY! It is so damn good I just had to share. ... If you like a dark, strong beer, I hope you get a chance to them.

Cheers!
- BD

I would have to agree with what everyone here is saying ...
Some of the pairings I have really enjoyed:
Youngs Double Chocolate Stout with any Padron, AF Hemi Maddies, or even ISOM's like a SLR Petite Corona. Some of the sweet cigars pair really well with malty beers.

IPA's are a bit tricky I think due to the one over powering the other. I have noticed though a nice spicey cigar like a La Flor or some Don Pepin blends have worked.

Play around and experiment, you may find a match made in heaven! :thumbs:

I love beer, (see my blog at Excessive HoppYness Brew Co. ). I am a brewer, working on building my own brewery now. DONATIONS are needed :D

I find IPA's go well with cigars as the hoppyness is powerful enough to contend with the cigar flavor, one or the other does not dominate....

IPA's are a bit tricky I think due to the one over powering the other. I have noticed though a nice spicey cigar like a La Flor or some Don Pepin blends have worked.

Play around and experiment, you may find a match made in heaven! :thumbs:
I agree with you on IPA's Mike, it seems the spicier smokes play will with IPA, much ike spicey food does. I smoked a Padron 1926 #35 natural with Sprecher Octoberfest and it was quite nice.

I have enjoyed a stout or two with cigars. Nothing hoppy though, personally. I have an unhealthy addiction to hoppy beers, and I can't imagine pairing something that anihilates your palatte with a cigar. Just my take.

I have enjoyed a stout or two with cigars. Nothing hoppy though, personally. I have an unhealthy addiction to hoppy beers, and I can't imagine pairing something that anihilates your palatte with a cigar. Just my take.

What he said.

I personally drink more IPAs than any other type of beer, and I smoke cigars with IPAs more often than any other type of beer. IMHO they pair well together if you are smoking a spicy/peppery or fuller flavored cigar.

I've been drinking Boulevard's Dark Truth with cigars lately. Baltic porters and dopplebocks always work for me as well. Something with some malthy sweetness. Hoppy beers don't really work for me with cigars, although I'm a big fan of hops.

I like Rogue Chocolate Stout and a Kristoff Maduro, the Chocolate tones do well with the cigar. I also like the Black Pearl Rojos with a Victory at Sea Imperial Porter from Ballast Point.

I like dark beers though so YMMV.

Black Cloud, I go to either Bevmo or Ballast Point itself. They are my LHBS too.

It's definitely good stuff.

I drink mostly IPA's and I don't care for them with a cigar. Yesterday, I had a SA Imperial Bock that was just fantastic with a 601 Maduro after lunch. Ironically, I'm not a big fan of maduro cigars or heavily malted beers.

Doc.

The one paring recently that really struck me was an Arrogant Bastard Ale with a Tat Anarchy.

I've repeated the paring since, with equally amazing results. This one's a winner.....:thumbs: