• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cubans over rated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The divine profile of a Siglo 6, the rich earth of a H. Upmann Magnum 46, the bold roasted hazelnut of the D4, the complex bean flavours of Bolivar, the intriguing honey and caramel Por Larranaga...

:love: Holy crap..... this might be my new sig tag. I'll have what he's having please...... and make mine a double!

You say your Short stories are plugged at the cap ?

I have just finished a box of them and they all were smoked straight from my Humidor. Not one of them was plugged bro.

Maybe you do have a storage problem.

I am using Viper beads and running at 65%.

I can assure you that my friends know what they are doing when buying cigars in Cuba. As for here in Canada I don't buy cigars at convenience stores. A real cigar shop can only sell Cubans that come from Havana House, which is the only legal distributer of Cuban cigars here. When you buy at an established B+M it is an assurance of authenticity. Question...Why is discussion about Cuban retailers not allowed when on this page it is OK to have advertising by online Cuban cigar retailers?

The ads are for those individuals that are not US citizens! Do yourself a favor and read the posts about the subject as you'll learn alot about Cigar Pass!
Sorry to upset you tone, I haven't had time to read all of the posts yet. Sheesh there's alot of angry, intolerant people here.

nub lost all credibility when he compared a RASS to a white owl. nuff said.
I wasn't comparing the RASS to a White Owl, I was comparing the RG to a White Owl.

My fault. I think your issue is that your trying to keep your cigars at RH levels that are too high. You say your trying to achieve 70% but I think you will have alot better experience at around 60%. You must be having some really bad luck because I was under the impression that ALL cubans were draw tested by machine. I do agree with you that there are some great cigars made by Fuente, Padron, etc...That can deliver a very enjoyable smoke but there is something that cuban soil imparts that can't be replicated. Now if you really want to get flamed go to the Cigar Family forum and post that cubans are overrated. LMAO.

nub lost all credibility when he compared a RASS to a white owl. nuff said.
I wasn't comparing the RASS to a White Owl, I was comparing the RG to a White Owl.

My fault. I think your issue is that your trying to keep your cigars at RH levels that are too high. You say your trying to achieve 70% but I think you will have alot better experience at around 60%. You must be having some really bad luck because I was under the impression that ALL cubans were draw tested by machine. I do agree with you that there are some great cigars made by Fuente, Padron, etc...That can deliver a very enjoyable smoke but there is something that cuban soil imparts that can't be replicated. Now if you really want to get flamed go to the Cigar Family forum and post that cubans are overrated. LMAO.
Actually Dave I'm not trying to achieve 70%, I prefer 65 but in the summer I don't mind settling for 67%. Right now 62% is the best I can do but I am happy with that. The cigars have been smoking great at 62.

Actually Dave I'm not trying to achieve 70%, I prefer 65 but in the summer I don't mind settling for 67%. Right now 62% is the best I can do but I am happy with that. The cigars have been smoking great at 62.

Then which ones are causing you a problem?

Then which ones are causing you a problem?
grateful1, don't you get it yet... there never was a problem. Dude is suffering from Munchausen. Sorry to upset you in advance nubby.

NA

Thanks for the advice Tim. It's not that I don't like Cuban cigars per sey it's just that I get very frustrated at the consistent tight draws. A friend gave me a RyJ churchill a couple of years back and I loved it even though it was on the mild side. I went and bought a box and every single one was too tightly rolled. I tried to dry them out a little and it didn't help. I poked the heck out of them as I tried to smoke them but that only helped slightly in some cases. I don't make a habit of smoking cigars I don't like but it kind of sucks when you like a cigar and half the time they are not smokable. When I get a properly rolled series D I admit I am in heaven for about an hour. When it's too tight I chuck it in disappointment. I guess I shouldn't generalize and paint all Cubans with a widestroke brush but I honestly think that they have been lagging for a while when it comes to quality control and innovation. I believe most of the Cuban cigar makers have been resting on their laurels and have been surpassed in many cases by offerings from the Dominican, Nicauragua and Honduras. I think they are starting to realize this and have been trying some different things, (more maduros, larger rings...etc.) For a country that supposedly has ideal growing conditions I just expect a little more I guess. If the embargo is ever lifted I shudder to think of what that will do to an already compromised quality control.

DUDE, they have this new invention called paragraphs and while they are quite helpful when writing a book or a letter, they are vital when posting on the Interwebs.

Well, I try to keep my cigars between 65 and 70% RH. In the winter I am only able to keep the box (200ct) at 63% but when the warmer temps come I am able to keep it at 67% where I really like it. I have what I think is a reliable digital hygrometer/thermometer. I have salt tested my analogue hygrometer that I also keep in there and have calibrated it accordingly. I don't find the analogue to be very accurate or sensitive to fluctuations. I have smoked the odd cigar that has been over humidified and know what that is like, slightly different than getting a plugged one.

I have a couple of friends who go to Cuba twice a year and they usually bring me some back. And no they are not purchasing them on the beach, they are getting them from proper sources. These are cigar enthusiast as well so they are educated on what they are doing. I also on occasion go to one of several B+M's in my vicinity to pick up a single or two when I want to try something new.

I know it is easy to say "stop smoking them", but I am like everyone else whereas I read alot about cigars and am always looking to find great new cigars to smoke. When I read a great review on a cigar I like to go out and try it. Also there are a few Cuban cigars that I really enjoy when I get a good one so I like to have some of those in the box on the ready.

As for a draw poker, I have several of varying sizes, ( basketball needle, 2 different mini screwdrivers, and a knitting needle). Unfortunately it seems I have to use these far too often. Most of the time poking them does help but sometimes it has no positive effect. The only non Cuban I have had to consistently poke is my Short Stories. I think this has to do with the shape though, and they are normally only plugged right at the head so they are easy to open up.

Looking at the title of my original post I can understand how people might get the wrong impression of what I am trying to say. I honestly didn't have the intention of being so provocative but I guess it's too late for that now...lol! Originally I didn't even have a title for my post but had to put one in. I guess I should have put a little more thought into it. It IS my opinion that Cuban cigar makers, and some of the big names to be specific (Montecristo, Partagas, RyJ) have some work to do to live up to their names. I mean when someone has to pay $35 for a single cigar, the least it can do is draw properly. As for blends and flavors I agree that is truly subjective and to each his own. I have a feeling though that if makers like the Fuente's, Padrons, and DPG were making cigars in Cuba we would see some more innovation and better blends.

I appreciate some of the positive input and advice from some of the members here, and look forward to hopefully discussing some other topics here in a more civil manner. Maybe some of you can let me know what some of your favorite Cubans are and why. If I haven't yet tried them I will, and who knows maybe it will help change my opinion.
Thanks, :D

I should have read all the posts instead of Grunching. Someone already told him about paragraphs.

Status
Not open for further replies.