• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cusano P1 Maduro, LGC Reserva Figurado Felicias

Ginseng

Banned
Because of the nice weather today, I had the opportunity to smoke two cigars. The first, was given to me to taste-test and the second was generously gifted to me both by my friend, Gary of Cigar-ette City.

Accompaniments in both cases were water and for the Cusano some Scooby-Doo dogbone cookies.

Cusano, P1 Maduro, 5 x 50rg
This is a bundle smoke made by Cusano. It is described as a "medium" smoke with a Connecticut shade maduro wrapper and a "famous" blend. I'm guessing about $2 per stick.

Prelight and Early Impressions
This stick had decent filling and a nice bunch. The wrapper was maduro but clearly not top notch (expected, it being a bundler). There were several prominent and coarse veins and the wrapper was stretched in several places. Texture was toothy but uneven. The scent indicated properly cured tobacco.

Light-up was uneventful and the first impressions were of light, dry woodiness with a touch of sweetness and the barest hint of coffee. Smoke volume was good and draw was right on. The burn was organically straight. Not bad so far. Not great but decent.

Late Stage and Finish
The cigar was certainly inoffensive, but also not too interesting. Flavors did not develop and I noticed a dryness in my throat and just the slightest harshness. The ash was a nice medium gray and dropped after about 1.5 inches. Then things went bad. Sometimes smokes lose their stride after the ash drop and this one seemed to follow that pattern. This cigar went flat and lost what little one-note character it had. It also started to become bitey. As you can tell from the photo. I was not motivated to nub it. The finish was light and not all that tasty. Not offensive, just nothing to write home about.

To sum up: This is probably about what you'd expect from a bundler of this class. The tobacco was reasonably well fermented but the blend was rather bland. A good golf or lawn-mowing 'gar but for my money, I've had better. My reference in inexpensive maddies remains the Sancho Panza Double Maduro Quixote robusto, a stick that is tastier, richer, more complex and satisfying.
(IMG:http://webzoom.freewebs.com/photonjazz/cusanop1maduro.jpg)

La Gloria Cubana Reserva Figurado, Felicias, 4-5/8 x 49rg
This is a limited release, I think, or at least seasonal. This is a premium stick composed of a sun-grown Ecuadoran Sumatra wrapper, 4-year old Nicaraguan binder and Nicaraguan/Dominican filler. As I understand it, this cigar uses special cedar-aged tobaccos and is made by the most expert of rollers. Around $7-8/stick.
(IMG:http://webzoom.freewebs.com/photonjazz/LGCreservafig01.jpg)

Beautiful wrapper. Delicate, medium shade and very fine and very well applied. The shape was also just delightful. I had never smoked a cigar of this shape before so I was not sure of what to expect. Light up of the tip was flawless and the ash was tight and white. Nice. As one might expect, not much happens when the very narrow tip is just starting to burn, but even so, the draw was spot on perfect.

But when the ash cone started to reach the fatter part of the foot, wow, did it ever come alive. Powerful but elegant peppery spiciness was balanced by a seductive, rich cream body. Wonderful! A deep cedary note was topped by various light wood tones and a fresh, nearly citrusy tang. And again, just gobs of luxurious, creamy body and rich mouth feel. Smoke volume was never more than moderate but this was not a weak point. Already, at just under an inch in, I was totally captivated. This was very well-balanced, expertly blended cigar. Just top notch. Burn was on the slightly wandering side of organically straight. Several light touch-ups were applied but then I tend to be a bit picky about the burn.
(IMG:http://webzoom.freewebs.com/photonjazz/LGCreservafig02.jpg)

Late Stage and Finish
I just couldn't put this down. I had writing to do but I found myself getting distracted again and again by the utterly involving little powerhouse. Talk about a platinum fist in a velvet glove. As the cigar reached the midpoint, the lighter notes started to fade, replaced by ever deepening wood tones and an emerging leatheriness. The spice was still there but became darker and heavier. Nutmeg or something. It just got richer and deeper until the very end. And as you can see from the picture, I do mean the very end. The final shot is oriented correctly, as you can tell by my chair in the background. Talk about a killer ash! The finish was yummy, pure tobacco and the lingering scent was light and inoffensive.
(IMG:http://webzoom.freewebs.com/photonjazz/LGCreservafig03.jpg)

To sum up: It had been several years since I'd had anything beside the Serie R from LGC and all I can say is, this must be the best cigar in their line. The balance is incredible and is one of the few powerful cigars that is also immensely elegant. This is an Aston Martin DB9 among smokes. All in all, a bargain price for a spellbinding cigar of exceptional finesse. Highly recommended. I just can't rave enough about this stick.

Wilkey

End note: I have been smoking an inordinate proportion of maduros lately. Here are some of my latest pickups.
(IMG:http://webzoom.freewebs.com/photonjazz/maduromadness.jpg)

And another great review with mouth watering pictures! Thanks, you just gave me a new stick to go out and buy.

Ginseng said:
Because of the nice weather today, I had the opportunity to smoke two cigars. The first, was given to me to taste-test and the second was generously gifted to me both by my friend, Gary of Cigar-ette City.

Accompaniments in both cases were water and for the Cusano some Scooby-Doo dogbone cookies.

Cusano, P1 Maduro, 5 x 50rg
This is a bundle smoke made by Cusano. It is described as a "medium" smoke with a Connecticut shade maduro wrapper and a "famous" blend. I'm guessing about $2 per stick.

This stick had decent filling and a nice bunch. The wrapper was maduro but clearly not top notch (expected, it being a bundler). There were several prominent and coarse veins and the wrapper was stretched in several places. Texture was toothy but uneven. The scent indicated properly cured tobacco.

Light-up was uneventful and the first impressions were of light, dry woodiness with a touch of sweetness and the barest hint of coffee. Smoke volume was good and draw was right on. The burn was organically straight. Not bad so far. Not great but decent.

Late Stage and Finish
The cigar was certainly inoffensive, but also not too interesting. Flavors did not develop and I noticed a dryness in my throat and just the slightest harshness. The ash was a nice medium gray and dropped after about 1.5 inches. Then things went bad. Sometimes smokes lose their stride after the ash drop and this one seemed to follow that pattern. This cigar went flat and lost what little one-note character it had. It also started to become bitey. As you can tell from the photo. I was not motivated to nub it. The finish was light and not all that tasty. Not offensive, just nothing to write home about.

To sum up: This is probably about what you'd expect from a bundler of this class. The tobacco was reasonably well fermented but the blend was rather bland. A good golf or lawn-mowing 'gar but for my money, I've had better. My reference in inexpensive maddies remains the Sancho Panza Double Maduro Quixote robusto, a stick that is tastier, richer, more complex and satisfying.
cusanop1maduro.jpg

La Gloria Cubana Reserva Figurado, Felicias, 4-5/8 x 49rg
This is a limited release, I think, or at least seasonal. This is a premium stick composed of a sun-grown Ecuadoran Sumatra wrapper, 4-year old Nicaraguan binder and Nicaraguan/Dominican filler. As I understand it, this cigar uses special cedar-aged tobaccos and is made by the most expert of rollers. Around $7-8/stick.
LGCreservafig01.jpg

Beautiful wrapper. Delicate, medium shade and very fine and very well applied. The shape was also just delightful. I had never smoked a cigar of this shape before so I was not sure of what to expect. Light up of the tip was flawless and the ash was tight and white. Nice. As one might expect, not much happens when the very narrow tip is just starting to burn, but even so, the draw was spot on perfect.

But when the ash cone started to reach the fatter part of the foot, wow, did it ever come alive. Powerful but elegant peppery spiciness was balanced by a seductive, rich cream body. Wonderful! A deep cedary note was topped by various light wood tones and a fresh, nearly citrusy tang. And again, just gobs of luxurious, creamy body and rich mouth feel. Smoke volume was never more than moderate but this was not a weak point. Already, at just under an inch in, I was totally captivated. This was very well-balanced, expertly blended cigar. Just top notch. Burn was on the slightly wandering side of organically straight. Several light touch-ups were applied but then I tend to be a bit picky about the burn.
LGCreservafig02.jpg

Late Stage and Finish
I just couldn't put this down. I had writing to do but I found myself getting distracted again and again by the utterly involving little powerhouse. Talk about a platinum fist in a velvet glove. As the cigar reached the midpoint, the lighter notes started to fade, replaced by ever deepening wood tones and an emerging leatheriness. The spice was still there but became darker and heavier. Nutmeg or something. It just got richer and deeper until the very end. And as you can see from the picture, I do mean the very end. The final shot is oriented correctly, as you can tell by my chair in the background. Talk about a killer ash! The finish was yummy, pure tobacco and the lingering scent was light and inoffensive.
LGCreservafig03.jpg

To sum up: It had been several years since I'd had anything beside the Serie R from LGC and all I can say is, this must be the best cigar in their line. The balance is incredible and is one of the few powerful cigars that is also immensely elegant. This is an Aston Martin DB9 among smokes. All in all, a bargain price for a spellbinding cigar of exceptional finesse. Highly recommended. I just can't rave enough about this stick.

Wilkey

End note: I have been smoking an inordinate proportion of maduros lately. Here are some of my latest pickups.
maduromadness.jpg

[snapback]246481[/snapback]​

Thanks Wilkey. Eloquent as usual, and quite helpful in my buying decisions. Your review was just what I expected with the La Gloria, as my experience was quite the same. I'd be interested to see what other folks comments are about the Cusano before I decide whether to stock them or not.

Your review of the La Gloria Cubana Reserva Figurado was spot on. I couldn't wait any longer after receiving the 5'er on these (thanks KB) and had to try one yesterday. I echo your sentiments about the cigar almost exactly but I don't recall tasting any citrus. It's tough for me to pick up subtle flavors like that but I guess I'll get there eventually.

"And again, just gobs of luxurious, creamy body and rich mouth feel."

Exactly!

Also Wilkey you got me hooked on "cigar snacking", I had never thought to bring some snacks out when smoking but this time I had some E.L. Fudge cookies... perfect companion.

Thanks again! :thumbs:

smallg said:
Also Wilkey you got me hooked on "cigar snacking", I had never thought to bring some snacks out when smoking but this time I had some E.L. Fudge cookies... perfect companion.

Thanks again! :thumbs:
[snapback]246563[/snapback]​

Yummmm! I'm glad I was able to help. :D

When I "enjoy" a cigar I do it in the context of whatever food or drink I'm likely to normally take with a smoke. But when I sit down to "taste" a cigar, I try to stick to more neutral accompaniments. Either approach is valid, and both are enjoyable :D

BTW, sometimes when I refer to a "flavor" note, I'm trying to come closest to what it is reminiscent of. In fact, there was so much going on with this little gem that I am just not experienced enough to discern everything.

Gary,
Always glad to be of service. ;)

Wilkey

On second thought, I don't think "citrus" is accurate. It was a tangy, piquant sort of aromatic note and "citrus" was what my mind came up with. :) It was really only present in the early stages.

Wilkey

I took advantage of the rare 62 degree evening to try out the LGC RFF nat.

The first 10 minutes was cedar/pepper overload, to the point where my walk around the neighborhood became me sitting on the sidewalk. I had this experience with the maddie to a lesser degree.

When this thing settles down after the first half inch/inch it's game on (as you described). Floral.. to light cedar/wood. That's when I confirmed my suspicions about this line. Cherries. The first time smoking the maduro I thought my mind was playing tricks on me. I swear there are hints of cherries in these static with both nat and maddie (more so with maddie and for a longer time). Am I crazy?

From halfway to ash drop at nub it's more of the same. They just seem to switch up flavors constantly through the stretch. Fantastic, both natural and maduro. :thumbs:

I'm glad you found them enjoyable! Now, which do you like better? Nat or mad? ;)

Wilkey

I'd have to say the maduro. While similar, the characteristics I found most enjoyable seemed more present (and lasting) in the maduro. Thanks again, Wilkey. :D

Wilkey,
Awesome review and fabulous pictures!
I love your reviews but I hate them too! When they are as glowing as this one it makes me obsessed about picking up a 5er or a box!
I also found it funny that you had a tobacco warning in your multi stoge pic! Was this deliberate? :p

I'm not too sure how milkbones match with a fine stogie though! :laugh:

Thanks again!
-Rob

Man oh Man Wilkey, your reviews are definetly riventing reading, but mostly they make me wanna go and smoke something new. Thanks for taking the time to take such nice pics in addition to sharing your new smokes experiences that just brings it to another level. Now I have to go order some new 5ers and finally have a cigar :D Good stuff !

I just bought and smoked my first LGC Felicias maduro today...and I wholeheartedly agree. Fantastic flavor and sweetness and greatness. I paid $7.50 for mine, got 3 of them, think I'll go back and get some more. :)

-Fetter

Just smoked one these babies tonight...I have to admit, I couldn't finish it! :blush:

It was more powerful than I thought...I seemed small enough, but it packed a good amount of power!

This cigar reminded me of a WOAM...
The taste was exactly how the above reviews stated.

Very good cigar for the price.