• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Daily Smokes for Beginners (& Bargain Beauties)

I agree with the Short One on this one. It may be a good idea to keep a spreadsheet on your inventory, but not what's been smoked. I can usually remember what I've liked and what I don't.

There are samplers available in different strength profiles.  I buy singles when I'm testing new smokes, and if they are good, I'll buy a box and let them age.  Many times the aged cigars are far better than the original was, but occasionally the single was good, but the box ...not so.  It's a lot of fun (especially with a glass of scotch in your hand). Enjoy!

My current everyday smoke has been the Intemperance line from RomaCraft Tobac.  You can get then for 5.50-6.50 a cigar.  Both wrappers are stupendous.

nfulton said:
My current everyday smoke has been the Intemperance line from RomaCraft Tobac.  You can get then for 5.50-6.50 a cigar.  Both wrappers are stupendous.

I have to find those in my humidor. I bought a sampler in both wrappers and forgot I had them until you posted. I heard good things about them.

Thanks for the reminder...now, where the heck did I put them?

ironpeddler said:

I have to find those in my humidor. I bought a sampler in both wrappers and forgot I had them until you posted. I heard good things about them.

Thanks for the reminder...now, where the heck did I put them?

I got the sampler too and that's what turned me onto them.  Then I got a great deal from Mark at Tower for a box (which sadly is nearly empty).  Both wrappers are very different, but both are very good.  Luckily their distribution has increased and they are much easier to find (but try Mark at Tower :thumbs: ).

Jonesy said:
That's what I love about the Mayorgas....I can get them all day long for under $50 a box. That plus the fact that I've gotten to the point where I enjoy a robusto now more than other vitolas, it's nice to have a cigar I can grab for under $3 and go out and smoke while drinking a beer or cutting the grass.

Is it true that Mayorga's really taste like chocolate brownies? I can't find any at the local shops, I looked a few years ago after I heard good things about them.  I thought they were discontinued, but I'm seeing them for sale online.  I'll have to pick one up.  Thanks for the tip.

Not sure about chocolate brownies, but they do have that "chewy" factor you hear people talking about. For such a cheap cigar, they really are tasty.

Found this thread, among others:

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/topic/52889-poor-mans-cigar-review-thread/#entry785548]Poor Man's Cigar Review thread[/url]

Jonesy, your horse takes first place in the race to the cigar shop counter. After wrestling for days with a prolonged consideration of the AF Chateau Sun Grown line, and finally coming to grips with the realization that they absolutely must rest in order to realize their sublime character, I've decided to pull the trigger on your Mayorga Maduro Robustos. So thanks, I'll let you know how they smoke.  :thumbs:

Everyone else, I appreciate the recommendations and intend to act upon them going forward, so please keep them coming. When I have time I will compile the recommendations in the OP along with some research into their price and possibly some reviews (not from me). Hopefully other noobs and people in general will find this useful.

Thanks again.  :D

I've completed my studies & updated the OP as promised with a list including vitolas, wrappers, and price estimates. And yes, Gary & Brian, a spreadsheet was involved.

Any more bargain beauties out there?

Nice work Juanote. This will likely help others who may be looking for a bargain or anyone kind of smoke.

Devil's Weed nat or mad are both good and cheap. Diesel Unholy Cocktail, Gran Habano #5 are good.

For a short smoke, its hard to beat an AF Short Story for ~$6.

Haven't seen Torano mentioned yet---the Exodus '59 is a long time favorite of mine; rich and full-flavored.  One-dimensional, but it's a goood dimension. :thumbs:   The Virtuoso is considerably stronger, and the new Vault is more leathery, and they're all dependable, even-burning, well-constructed and about $7 a stick.

My local liquor "big box" has a walk in and was blowing out the Ex. 59 for $3.99 a stick in the torpedo vitola for months . . . that was great.

Holt's "Old Henry" line is exclusive to them, I believe, but it's a terrific smoke and $4 or less a stick by the box in any size.

AF Queen B and Cuban Belicoso are usually in the $7-8 range off the shelf, and great cigars.

~Boar

Thanks all of you for your suggestions, they are quite helpful (as I have been studying some of these lines for a while and wasn't sure what to think of them in terms of quality), and I have incorporated them into the OP. Anyone that has any other recommendations please feel free to continue sharing them.

Note also that unless vitolas and wrappers are specified (in which case I will faithfully seek out the recommended cigar), the representations of the various lines I have selected represent the highest rated cigar in the line when ratings are available, or the best value. In general I have avoided an excess of the larger vitolas in favor of robustos, unless the superlative qualities and value of the larger vitola are well established. In any event, a daily smoke will likely be of the abbreviated variety, and that stands in favor of the more moderately sized vitolas in recommending them here.

That's turning into a really nice list . . . and a very useful one.  Thanks for the thread!  :thumbs:

~Boar

The La Aurora 1495 seem to be on closeout everywhere and are a nice smoke. I know CI has a box of 25 Short Robustos for 50 bucks right now. They're definitely worth $2 a stick.

Got my Mayorgas today. Thanks Brian, wherever you are.

With my time being really limited, I've been looking for smaller cigars.  So if you don't mind the Reyes vitola, Trinidad's are by far my favorite and close to your $7 price point.