• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Daily Smokes for Beginners (& Bargain Beauties)

I posted this in the daily smoke thread and then it dawned on me to also post it here as we're talking about low cost/high value cigars.

Smoked an Ortega Mini....the version I had said 'Full Flavor' or something like that on the box. They came in a cardboard sleeve with 4 cigars inside.

The description is as follows..."The cigar features a rich smooth Eucadorian Habano wrapper. Inside this beautiful wrapper is Nicaraguan Cuban-seed long-filler and a Dominican binder. The Mini Cigar Habano is a cigar for the medium smoker. They are skillfully handcrafted at the PDR factory in the Dominican Republic."

This was the second one I smoked so far and I must say that I didn't like it one bit. It was very earthy, almost dirty in flavor that left a nasty taste on my tongue....from the beginning to the point I had to pitch it...again...before the half way point. I smoked it that far thinking it would get better, but for such a small format, it should be good from the jump. I know there will be quite a few of you that will like this little stick, just not me.

I had high hopes for these at $3.75 a stick and I'll still give the Natural & Maduro a shot...but as for these, they're just not in my wheelhouse.

Take a loke at CI for the Reposado '96. They offer those in Maduro, Conn., and habana . I usually buy a box of 40 for $99. They do sell them in fivers and they have a sampler available. While this is not on the usual radar I think you will be pleasantly surprised

I have a box of Padron Delicias and Londres with about 2.5 years of age. I had one the other night and it was great but for about the first 8 months they were rough.

For really good yard gar that smokes like a $6 or $7 cigar is Schizo.  These are short filler "Cuban Sandwich" from the Asylum line tobacco.  Had one while mowing the lawn and felt guilty I didn't have a finger or two of Makers Mark to pair it with it was that good.  Ash held on for at least an inch.  Tap it so it don't fall in your lap, but definitely worth a try.

I know this is a machine made cigar and I'm not sure if they are considered in this list. But I'm a newb in the hobby, and I enjoy trying new stuff. I saw some AyC Grenadier Cigars at the grocery store and wanted to try them. They are Cuban Seeded. 

I love them, just bought a pack of Coronas today. 

I think they have a nutty type flavor, and a cool sensation when you draw the smoke in. 

Not much nicotine kick to them. I think they are a Medium body. 

Personally I like the Tatuaje Serie P for a full sized stick under $4. 

Also recently discovered the J Fuego Origen Original 5-packs for $12-14.

I'm becoming a fan of the LGC Gilded Age line at famous. Quality smoke at a small price

sar127 said:

I think that I must have picked up a bad 5 pack.  Lots of guys seem to like the J Fuego Origen and I have read quite a few good reviews.  The ones that I had were terrible.  Maybe I should re-visit this one and give it another try.

I have recently been enjoying the Drew Estate "Blue Ribbon" bundle smokes.  There are four vitolas, I got a deal on the Churchill's and bought them out of curiosity.  ROTT they were a little rough, but after a couple months in the cabinet, they are very well constructed, mild, nicely flavored sticks.  You can buy the bundles of 20 in the $45-55.00 range.  Multiple sources Google right up.  Pretty easy to recommend even for experienced smokers looking for an inexpensive, well made, mild smoke.  Good stuff....

punk_lawyer said:

I think that I must have picked up a bad 5 pack.  Lots of guys seem to like the J Fuego Origen and I have read quite a few good reviews.  The ones that I had were terrible.  Maybe I should re-visit this one and give it another try.
I don't care for them at all, but I know they were one of Steve's favorite cheapies.

Perdomo 2 LE Maduro. Fabulous smoke for the price, I picked up a fiver recently for $17.

Have you sampled any of the CAO line?  I recommend you look at the Brazilia, Italia, Mx2 and Lx2 lines.  You can pick up robustos for about $5 each.

Nihon_Ni said:
Have you sampled any of the CAO line?  I recommend you look at the Brazilia, Italia, Mx2 and Lx2 lines.  You can pick up robustos for about $5 each.

I love the box-pressed Italia, but it's a more of a $6-7 smoke.  My local Spec's was blowing out their LX2 toros for $4.60 for a long time . . . I think I bought them all, 1-2 at a time! Good smokes.  :)

~Boar

I used to heartily recommend the Casa Fernandez Arsenio. From the results of my last two-box order, it seems that when they moved production to Miami that it went through a blend change that I don't like. It's a shame.

Not A Nice Person said:

I love the box-pressed Italia, but it's a more of a $6-7 smoke.  My local Spec's was blowing out their LX2 toros for $4.60 for a long time . . . I think I bought them all, 1-2 at a time! Good smokes.  :)

~Boar

When the Italia (sic) first hit the market, they were nicely constructed, oily skinned, dense with tobacco and tasted great. They remained like that for a while as I bought boxes for a year or so before moving on to God knows what. Then I was traveling for business one time, saw them in a local shop, got all reminiscent and grabbed one to smoke in their lounge...seems they changed quite a bit since last I smoked them. They're not nearly as favorable and smooth as they once were...tasted kinda nasty & bitter. The guy in shop concurred...AFTER I bought it and lit it up!  :laugh:

Boar...what do they remind you of these days? I don't remember them being box pressed originally.

They reminded me a bit of Fuente Don Carlos when they first came out---that sort of "grown up" all tobacco flavor, with toast and almond notes.  The box-pressed line is newerish (they offer a box pressed Brazilla also) and to me, much stronger and darker in flavor.  I haven't had a bad one of the box press Italia yet, really.  Certainly not a bitter one.

~Boar

Back