• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Daily Smokes for Beginners (& Bargain Beauties)

thechenman said:

Pepin's wrapper!?
Everyone had different tastes, that happens to be one of my favorite wrappers. :D

I enjoy just about everything he makes, but there is something about the Mexican maduro he uses that I just don't find enjoyable.  I know I'm in the minority, but there is a flavor in there I just don't like. 

Wow, I thought I was the only one who didn't care for the flavor as well.

I have a buddy who claims that the wrappers give him a distinct taste of fish.  I find that odd, but everyone's palate is different.  To each his/her own.

That is an interesting flavor!

Bsneed51 said:

The second suggestion I have for you is the La Aroma de Cuba/EE/Mi Amor line.

Yes.  I love the base line of these cigars.  One of my absolute go to cigars.  The EE is even better.   I'm personally not crazy about the MI Amor, but I'm not a huge Mexican maduro fan.

I didn't care for the Mi Amor I had either, I'm glad to know it isn't necessarily a reflection of the entire line. I'll have to try some more out.

Pepin's Mexican maduro has something about it that I'm just not crazy about.   I was the same away about the Tatuaje's he did for the Outlaw that had that same wrapper.   The regular line has a broadleaf maduro wrapper on it that is much more agreeable with the LADC blend. 

Having just smoked the LADC El Hefe, let me thank you for an excellent recommendation. It was like night and day with the Mi Amor.

I know I'll get my ass kicked, but I smoke a lot of AF Curley Heads.  They are a medium length filler that are hand rolled.  They take the scrap tobaccos from their factories and mix them so they are a fairly consistent smoke..  They are a good yard gar and they are very reasonably priced.

broblues said:
I know I'll get my ass kicked, but I smoke a lot of AF Curley Heads.  They are a medium length filler that are hand rolled.  They take the scrap tobaccos from their factories and mix them so they are a fairly consistent smoke..  They are a good yard gar and they are very reasonably priced.
I'd kinda like to try a couple. Does FS or CI carry them?

broblues said:
nah, these are really decent. GREAT when puttering around as they don't seem to go out as easy as a long filler, and the flavors are very agreeable.

broblues said:
This may be the first time this can be said at CP: I think your ass is safe.

I bought a box of Luis Martinez Silver Selection a while back on recommendation from Dogwatch, and for about the first six months they were terrible. However, after that they opened up with a wonderful coffee, leather, wood and light spice combo that was quite nice. They're like $1.75ea.

A corollary subject to this topic is inexpensive lines that respond well to aging. Of course, that sentence practically screams "Padron!" I want to discuss particular aspects of the Padron line, and other moderately priced lines in terms of aging. I am not considering the merits of aging expensive premiums like Opus, Anejo, Tatuaje, etc.

As a beginner with negligible stock, I am trying to build an inventory while strategically laying down affordable sticks that will really benefit from aging. And I am trying to avoid the mistake of piling up sticks that I will have little desire to smoke as I gain experience. In terms of aging, the conventional wisdom seems to be that I am robbing myself of future experience if I don't lay down boxes of Padron 2000 and/or 3000 Maduro (and possibly Natural) as soon as possible. I am particularly interested in observations about aging the natural line versus the maduro line. Being a fan of larger vitolas I also have it in mind to lay down other Padrons such as Churchills, Ambassadors, and Magnums, and I am soliciting opinions about aged 6000s, as there are only scattered reports. I am also considering aging affordable premium lines in other marcas such as AF WOAM and Sun Grown 8-5-8, and possibly the VSG Tres Mystique.

Any input you may have is appreciated.

broblues said:
I just wanna add..... I had two of the Curley Heads this week and they were awesome. Yes I am a newb, but I enjoyed them. I can see myself buying a box. They aren't priced too bad, $3 a cigar. $65 for a box.

Juanote said:
A corollary subject to this topic is inexpensive lines that respond well to aging. Of course, that sentence practically screams "Padron!" I want to discuss particular aspects of the Padron line, and other moderately priced lines in terms of aging. I am not considering the merits of aging expensive premiums like Opus, Anejo, Tatuaje, etc.

As a beginner with negligible stock, I am trying to build an inventory while strategically laying down affordable sticks that will really benefit from aging. And I am trying to avoid the mistake of piling up sticks that I will have little desire to smoke as I gain experience. In terms of aging, the conventional wisdom seems to be that I am robbing myself of future experience if I don't lay down boxes of Padron 2000 and/or 3000 Maduro (and possibly Natural) as soon as possible. I am particularly interested in observations about aging the natural line versus the maduro line. Being a fan of larger vitolas I also have it in mind to lay down other Padrons such as Churchills, Ambassadors, and Magnums, and I am soliciting opinions about aged 6000s, as there are only scattered reports. I am also considering aging affordable premium lines in other marcas such as AF WOAM and Sun Grown 8-5-8, and possibly the VSG Tres Mystique.

You really can't go wrong in aging any cigar. You always hear about Cubans being the best to age, and yes, they need to be aged, but the best aged cigar I ever smoked was an 8 year old Padron '26.

Brian, as one of the resident Padron junkies, do you think the natural ages as well as the maduro?

Turbolag said:
I just wanna add..... I had two of the Curley Heads this week and they were awesome. Yes I am a newb, but I enjoyed them. I can see myself buying a box. They aren't priced too bad, $3 a cigar. $65 for a box.
I've seen your reviews, and I'm intrigued by the Curly Heads.

Juanote said:
Brian, as one of the resident Padron junkies, do you think the natural ages as well as the maduro?
To be honest with you, I don't smoke the naturals. I like them, but I love the maddies more, so that's what I smoke.

thechenman said:

Pepin's wrapper!?
Everyone had different tastes, that happens to be one of my favorite wrappers. :D

I enjoy just about everything he makes, but there is something about the Mexican maduro he uses that I just don't find enjoyable.  I know I'm in the minority, but there is a flavor in there I just don't like. 

I have a buddy who claims that the wrappers give him a distinct taste of fish.  I find that odd, but everyone's palate is different.  To each his/her own.

He doesn't smoke regularly after sex, does he?

It should NEVER taste like fish, the saying goes smells like fish, tastes like chicken, keep on lickin!

:)

ironpeddler said:

Pepin's wrapper!?

It's obvious that he's trying to emulate Bill Clinton!

Juanote said:

Bottom Line:  You aren't going to go wrong aging any of these sticks... I have some experience with most of them in varying degrees, and they're all good.  Your patience will be rewarded.

For the Padrons, I've mostly aged maduros, but I've had a couple 2000 Naturals that did just fine with age as well.  I simply gravitate towards the maduros and have tremendously good luck with 2000s, 5000s and 6000s.  I've had friends who have aged Churchills and Ambassadors with similarly positive effects. 

As far as other lines, I've aged WOAM singles turn out well.  AF Sungrown Cuban Belicosos do exceptionally well with some aging--search the Blind PIF Review Thread for Clint's review of one I sent him if you don't believe me.  I imagine the 8-5-8s would take on a similar profile.  Finally, I set down a box of VSG Belicosos when my wife and I were married in 2007... I now smoke one on my youngest daughter's birthday each year.  They are sublime. 

That's an interesting point about the Cuban Belicoso, I will have to try that out for sure as I am a huge fan of the AF SG line, and the Belicoso is certainly the powerhouse. Smoked fresh I find it almost overbearing. Thanks for that recommendation, I need to get cracking since the blind cigar had 2 years on it!

As for Padrons, there seems to be agreement that the maduros are most worth aging. Perhaps I'll also put a fiver of naturals down just to see what happens.

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

ironpeddler said:

Pepin's wrapper!?

I don't know Gary and as helpful as i want to be...I don't need to know.   ???

Back