• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Davidoff 4000 ISOM

ggiese

Cigar: Davidoff 4000 ISOM
Origin: Cuba
Ring gauge: 42
Length: 6 1/2"
Production Date: Late 80's

Atmosphere:
At the cigar store, in a leather recliner watching "Rocketman" on the big screen.

Beverage:
Pepsi (towards the VERY end - I didn't want to ruin the experience)

Prelight Impressions:
- Incredible construction!
- Nice, smooth to the touch.
- Beautiful flawless wrapper leaf.
- Initial unlit draws were somewhat floral and sweet.
- I Cut the cigar with the Xikar guillotine cutter

Smoking experience:
The anticipation for smoking this cigar was almost unbearable. I wanted to save this smoke for a special occasion, but decided to just spend some quiet time savoring every minute of this rare opportunity.

This cigar lit up wonderfully. It took very little to get it fired up and smoking beautifully. It also had quite an impressive draw - it was admittedly a little bit on the tight side, but actually drew just about the way I like it. I didn’t have to work hard at all to get good volumes of smoke. Also, no need to relight and the burn was right on razor straight.

The flavor was very much on the mild side of medium. This cigar started out with a wonderful flavor, which it maintained through the entire cigar. Nice earthy woody taste, with just a small hint of spice.

I enjoyed the very complex flavors. It is definitely a contemplative type cigar. I sat savoring the smoke, and the flavors - trying to pick out the undertones. The flavors ranged from earthy and woody, with a very muted taste of leather. There was also a very floral undertone to it, but it was nicely muted and added to the complexity, balanced with the tobacco taste. It smoked this way all the way to the last inch. I burned my fingers at the end, and the flavor remained uniform through the entire length. I also did not once notice any harshness or hot burn to it at all.

This is one of those "holy grail" cigars which are a must try if you really want to experience what Zino Davidoff has in mind for a great cigar. These are cigars are pricey, but worth the experience! From my limited experiences, I have to say this was cigar was definitely a pleasure to smoke, and the absolute definition of a nicely aged cigar. I'm hoping to have this opportunity again! I wish to sincerely thank the member (you know who you are) for this incredible experience.

Rating:
My overall smoking experience with this cigar would be 9 out of 10. I was just a bit disappointed that it was not a 10 out of 10 (only because it didn't absolutely blow me away, as I would have expected), but overall a cigar I would love to smoke again. I think the only thing that would have made this cigar a 10 would have been a bit more flavor.

You just set a work of art on fire. I hope you're pleased with yourself. ;)

Doc.

Nice review, George. Sounds like a very enjoyable smoke and time you had (even though it didn't blow you away).

Nice review, George. Making many of us envious.

one of my dreams is to smoke a properly aged Cuban Davidoff... lucky you!

I love reading reviews of rare and wonderful cigars like this. It is almost like we can share this intimate experience with you. I am sure it was a great time. From the looks of it you made your own special occasion just by smoking it. Like I say "Smokem' if you gotem'". Thanks very much for the review.

Would this be worthy of a picture in Moki's "burning the rare stuff" thread?
I would think so!

Great review, George! :thumbs: I love seeing reviews of rare and/or vintage cigars. Nice!

Congratulations George! Sounds like an experience to remember and savor.

But Pepsi! A 60's vintage porto maybe, but Pepsi? :p

Wilkey

Thinking of the same thing Wilkey.

But what a very nice review indeed! Thank you. :thumbs:

George nice review of a very good cigar! Please send me one so that I may also verify the tasting. I would have gone with a different beverage, but you did wait till the end.

Fantastic review George.

Thanks for slipping one into that pass, I thoroughly enjoyed it! :laugh:

Brian

Nice work George! I now have pen...I mean....Davidoff envy. :sign:

Brandon

Congratulations George! Sounds like an experience to remember and savor.

But Pepsi! A 60's vintage porto maybe, but Pepsi? :p

Wilkey

I know... :blush:

I should have consulted you first, Wilkey - a 60's vintage porto would probably have gone excellent with it! And there just happens to be a local place that has 60's vintage portos that are in fact incredible. :0

Would this be worthy of a picture in Moki's "burning the rare stuff" thread?
I would think so!

I didn't take any pictures... :0 Ooopssss..... :blush:

Great post George. I had water with my Davidoff a while back because I didn't want to influence the taste at all. I wanted to experience it and only it.

It's a shame that we will someday run out of chances to have these. Mine was a Chateau Latour gifted to me by a great BOTL here. I had it when I closed on my home last year. It was also the first cigar my wife tried. I told her, "If you're ever going to try a cigar, this needs to be the one." Truly a memorable experience. Thanks for reminding me of it.