• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Deshaun Watson 6 games

Dude is a sexual predator who has bought his way out of jail time. No different than R. Kelly, karma has way of catching up to these guys. Cleveland screwed the pooch by signing him and now has to live with the consequences. I'm sure all the female training staff are thrilled to death that they signed him too.

Dude is a sexual predator who has bought his way out of jail time. No different than R. Kelly, karma has way of catching up to these guys. Cleveland screwed the pooch by signing him and now has to live with the consequences. I'm sure all the female training staff are thrilled to death that they signed him too.
Browns fans are so desperate for a win they don't care how it comes.

It's scary how many Browns fans and members of the Browns media are ignorant to the rest of the NFL world almost like an inbred family is ignorant to the rest of the world.

I would say the same can be said of, for example, the movie industry too. I don't hear people up in arms, threatening to quit watching movies though. Just interesting to me.
I disagree. It may only be a more semi-recent thing, but it is most certainly happening. Call it "cancel culture" if you must, but illegal, immoral, and unethical behavior is starting to get called to the carpet in Hollywood and in the music industry. However, I'd say the ratio of people who actually follow through with, "I'll never watch another one of their movies again!", and, "I'll never watch another game again!", is probably about even money.

A friend just sent me a link to an article which says the NFL is going to mandate 12 games and an $8M fine.

However, I am leery of the source as they often post BS articles.

I'm not really sure the NFL can mandate anything. They chose the arbitrator. They can appeal, but I don't think they can actually appeal anything. And that fine is laughable at best. Biggest fine they've ever levied was a little more than $2 mil to Adrian Peterson, and that was based on 3 game checks. There's no way the CBA allows Goodell unchecked powers to invent fines.

I disagree. It may only be a more semi-recent thing, but it is most certainly happening. Call it "cancel culture" if you must, but illegal, immoral, and unethical behavior is starting to get called to the carpet in Hollywood and in the music industry. However, I'd say the ratio of people who actually follow through with, "I'll never watch another one of their movies again!", and, "I'll never watch another game again!", is probably about even money.

That's probably true. My observation was based on the fact that all the forums I'm on have multiple pages of conversation going on about this and the thugs in the NFL. Don't recall seeing any conversation about the test of it really, at least more than just maybe a brief blip.

I'm not really sure the NFL can mandate anything. They chose the arbitrator. They can appeal, but I don't think they can actually appeal anything. And that fine is laughable at best. Biggest fine they've ever levied was a little more than $2 mil to Adrian Peterson, and that was based on 3 game checks. There's no way the CBA allows Goodell unchecked powers to invent fines.
I'm definitely not an authority, but from what I've heard, my understanding is it's in the CBA that Goodell can still overrule this and invoke whatever suspension he wants.

The NFL has the right to appeal because judge Robinson ruled that Watson violated policy, had she ruled that he did not violate policy, the NFL could not appeal. The NFL appeal process is governed by non other than King Roger himself, so if they appeal, they appeal to him. The CBA, in the last negotiation, took away Goodell's right to rule but not the NFL's right to appeal.

The NFL has been playing this BS game forever. Because of the anti-trust and anti-monopoly exemptions granted them by the government, they are free to do what they want, when they want, how they want.
  1. They can ban a guy for an entire season for gambling, but hand out a slap on the wrist for 24 counts of sexual misconduct.
  2. They can sweep the entire Daniel Snyder fiasco under the carpet and hold players accountable for the exact same violations.
  3. They are their own judge, jury, and executioner.
I hope this fiasco topples the entire NFL!

I would say the same can be said of, for example, the movie industry too. I don't hear people up in arms, threatening to quit watching movies though. Just interesting to me.
I've added a lot of actors, comedians, and musicians to my "piss off" list in the past 7 years. I won't watch or listen to anything with them in it.

1. They can ban a guy for an entire season for gambling, but hand out a slap on the wrist for 24 counts of sexual misconduct.
I've seen this comparison thrown around a lot and it's apples to oranges. What Ridley did was not only proven, but it puts into question the integrity of the game.

What Watson is alleged to have done took place entirely off the field and there were zero convictions.

Asking the NFL to play morality police here, when does the "stick to sports" crowd show back up? When they disagree with a morality ruling?

I've seen this comparison thrown around a lot and it's apples to oranges. What Ridley did was not only proven, but it puts into question the integrity of the game.

What Watson is alleged to have done took place entirely off the field and there were zero convictions.

Asking the NFL to play morality police here, when does the "stick to sports" crowd show back up? When they disagree with a morality ruling?
I agree with proven versus alleged Tom but it doesn't take much of a leap of faith to go from alleged to beyond any doubt.

I thank God that I am not the one Doling out the punishment but the NFL continues to send a repeated message that sexual abuse, spousal abuse, and abuse of women in general, is simply not a concern for them.

ETA .... I guess that's the stance they have to take when you look at the quality of human beings they employ.

I agree with proven versus alleged Tom but it doesn't take much of a leap of faith to go from alleged to beyond any doubt.

I thank God that I am not the one Doling out the punishment but the NFL continues to send a repeated message that sexual abuse, spousal abuse, and abuse of women in general, is simply not a concern for them.

ETA .... I guess that's the stance they have to take when you look at the quality of human beings they employ.
I believe it is systemic. There are outliers, sure, but look at where many of the most egregious offenders attended college. Most are from SEC schools where their entire existence is for football and making it to the NFL. These players aren't told "no", and are quite often spoon fed through academics. They are recruited with this promise straight out of high school. You don't see this behavior very much (again, there are exceptions) from players who attended schools where academics were an equal or greater priority to football.

I believe it is systemic. There are outliers, sure, but look at where many of the most egregious offenders attended college. Most are from SEC schools where their entire existence is for football and making it to the NFL. These players aren't told "no", and are quite often spoon fed through academics. They are recruited with this promise straight out of high school. You don't see this behavior very much (again, there are exceptions) from players who attended schools where academics were an equal or greater priority to football.
That and the fact a really high percentage of them are raised in poverty and all that comes with that.

That and the fact a really high percentage of them are raised in poverty and all that comes with that.
Thats true Justin but it doean't excuse the fact that the NFL "uses" them to make money regardless of their charachter.

There are people in all walks of life who grew up in bad situations, it's no excuse.

Thats true Justin but it doean't excuse the fact that the NFL "uses" them to make money regardless of their charachter.

There are people in all walks of life who grew up in bad situations, it's no excuse.
Not saying it's an excuse. It is absolutely a factor when you hand someone who has never had anything millions of dollars when they're 21 years old though. Yes there are people that have come from tough situations in all walks of life, but it's a much more disproportionate percentage in pro sports. Add to that the spotlight they have in them, and it's a recipe for disaster.

Not saying this to defend the NFL or those players, just part of the puzzle and agreeing with Nick's statement of it being a systemic issue that the NFL gets put in their lap, and usually handles poorly.

I agree with both aspects of your statement. What I'll add to the second, is that every single one of those who overcome a bad early life have encountered a positive mentor of some sort along the way that helped set them on the right track both in work ethic and in morality. No one does it on their own. No one. I don't deny that anyone who makes it to the top tier in sport lacks work ethic, but these individuals missed out on the mentorship and guidance for personal ethics and morality.

I agree with both aspects of your statement. What I'll add to the second, is that every single one of those who overcome a bad early life have encountered a positive mentor of some sort along the way that helped set them on the right track both in work ethic and in morality. No one does it on their own. No one. I don't deny that anyone who makes it to the top tier in sport lacks work ethic, but these individuals missed out on the mentorship and guidance for personal ethics and morality.
I bet we could expand the big brother program or similar programs, if we only had some extra funds. 😎