• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Edición Limitada / Limited Edition Reference

Thanks for putting together this documentary. You have convinced me that I will have to practice a little civil disobedience and give an ISOM a spin one day soon.

Impressive collection. Especially the site of the 1492 Humidor. I have looked long and hard for this and have come up short up to this point. Any of these still float around on auction block.

TrinidadSpecialBox1.jpg

Trinidad Sampler

1 Trinidad Fundadores
1 Trinidad Robustos Extra
1 Trinidad Coloniales
1 Trinidad Reyes
Where do I find this sampler?

Can you buy them anywhere?

List of LE's in stock at a particular dealer and prices

Cohiba Sublimes $375.00
Cohiba Double Coronas $395.00
Cohiba Piramides $375.00
Monte Cristo "C" $275.00
Monte Cristo Robusto $250.00
Monte Cristo Double Corona $350.00
Romeo & Julieta Hermosos No.2 $275.00
Romeo & Julieta Petit Pyramids $275.00
Romeo & Julieta Robustos $250.00
Romeo & Julieta Double Corona $325.00
Partagas Pyramids $295.00
Partagas Seried No.1 $325.00
Partagas seried No. 2 $295.00
Partagas seried No.3 $275.00
Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Especiale $275.00
Hoyo de Monterrey Pyramids $295.00
H.Upmann Magnum 50 $295.00

Thoughts?

Cohiba Sublimes $375.00
Cohiba Piramides $375.00
Monte Cristo "C" $275.00

Thoughts?

prices are too good to be true.

Cohiba Sublimes $375.00
Cohiba Piramides $375.00
Monte Cristo "C" $275.00

Thoughts?

they have all those in stock AND at those prices? waaaaaay too good to be true methinks...

I agree 100% that's why I posted. The funny thing is that I got my hands on several of these "LE's" and I would be happy to pay these prices as the cigars were fabulous. Time will tell as I have a few more to try.

Cohiba Sublimes $375.00
Cohiba Piramides $375.00
Monte Cristo "C" $275.00

Thoughts?

Stay away. Stay far, far away. Those prices smell fishy. As always, know your vendor. Good luck.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't Cohiba Piramides come in boxes of ten (10)? If so, this place is selling them at $37.50 a stick? And Sublimes at $15/stick? Don't just stay away... run away! JMO.

Cohiba Sublimes $375.00
Cohiba Piramides $375.00
Monte Cristo "C" $275.00

Thoughts?

Stay away. Stay far, far away. Those prices smell fishy. As always, know your vendor. Good luck.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't Cohiba Piramides come in boxes of ten (10)? If so, this place is selling them at $37.50 a stick? And Sublimes at $15/stick? Don't just stay away... run away! JMO.

Maybe that, or they are still selling the 2001 Piramides. But I guess a vendor having those in stock would raise even more flags. There are more than enough legit vendors out there. No reason to take chances.

There are more than enough legit vendors out there. No reason to take chances.

Bingo! Too many legit vendors out there. I am willing to pay $20-30 more per box because I get the following:

1.) Authentic habanos
2.) Great service
3.) Cigars are inspected before shipping to me
4.) If I have a problem, they take the cigars back. No questions asked.

This is why I pay a premium. Would I love to get all of this for rock bottom prices? Of course I would, but it just doesn't happen that way... unless my vendor runs a big special, once or twice a year.

It's the old adage, "Buyer beware."

Update................I wish I knew more about identifying fakes. Maybe Wilkey or someone similarly knowledgeable can help.

I took out two of the R&J Petite Pyramids 2005 for a buddy and myself. He got paged and had to leave ASAP after smoking ½ inch. Mine was fabulous even though I had hoped to enjoy the sharing experience and missed out on that.

The next morning, when I cleaned up the garage, I thought what a shame that he had to leave after smoking ½ inch. But…..every cloud has a silver lining. I decided to dissect the cigar and see what was inside. My only knowledge of how to identify a fake is what I have read here. There was no box or wrapper other than the Edicion Limitatda which looked good based on Wilkey’s posts.

The wrapper was beautiful with deep colors and apparent oils. Well constructed and the foot looked good on both cigars prior to lighting. The cigar was 100% long fillers and nice supple leaves, I saw nothing that would have raised a red flag. I don’t know what the cap should be like on a pyramid. I took pictures of the dissected cigar but haven’t set up a photobucket account yet.

The bottom line……..I doubt if I will order from this guy any more based on the “if it sounds too good to be true it probably is” theory, but I have smoked 4 of these LE’s and they have all been well worth the price in my opinion.

So if these are fake, why did someone go to the trouble of making such a nice cigar just to sell it as a fake?

This just occurred to me…. I ordered three boxes from this guy (Siglo IV, R&J Short Churchills, HDM Epicure #2) which were split among five of us. He sent me the LE’s as extras to thank me for the order as he had been trying to get me to order from him for a while. Is it possible he “baited” me with the real thing only to “switch” to crap if I bought LE’s by the box?

The EL List, by itself, is certainly suspicious. But then all the guys have already told you that.

The fact that a cigar is counterfeit does not necessarily mean that it will smoke like crap. Many do, but I've found that the ones that look good, tend to be boring, not Cuban, but not horrible. While you may find counterfeit Cubans made with Cuban tobacco (though not the tobacco used in the legitimate marca) on the island itself, any counterfeits you find off-island are almost certainly not going to contain any Cuban tobacco.

As to why retailers go to such lengths to sell counterfeits and why the producers seemingly put in so much effort? Of course the answer is profit. A box that can be made for $35 and then sold for $375 is a very attractive thing. Some counterfeiters are also starting to apply what they are learning to their "industry." Fakes are getting better in every way as time passes. Why? I believe one reason is because there is room in the pricing structure for them to continually improve their copies. This means all aspects of the packaging as well as the quality of the tobacco used. Another reason is that I think there is a class of "professional" counterfeiters that is concerned about supplying deceptive product that is of a sufficiently high quality that customers will repeat buy. One can only gain so much from duping someone for the first time with crappy goods. A steady revenue stream is more likely to come from repeat customers.

CigarStone, keep in mind that even though the cigar may be good, it may not be "real." Cigars like the Partagás Pirámides and RyJ Petit Pirámides are very distinctive cigars. If you've not had an authentic specimen, you might not be able to discern that they are not genuine. I mean no offense with respect to your palate or your experience. It's just that the newest specimens I've seen are so perfectly done that if the counterfeiters did not still regularly commit a few key mistakes, there would be no way I could tell these were fakes without an authentic specimen (cigars and boxes) right in front of me to compare. And in some cases, not without smoking one.

I got your PM and will be responding shortly. I'll be asking you to send me the photos to my university account.

One final comment. Even though these cigars might smoke well and could be considered good values if one accepted their counterfeit status, I would recommend against patronizing vendors who sell these things. On the one hand, you would be supporting people and companies' whose business model is built on deception, fraud, and the trade of counterfeit goods. Any customer service relationship built on this foundation could not, by definition, be one of respect and trust. On the other hand, you would also not be sending your support to the country and people from whom the Havana Cigar originated.

Wilkey

Well put Wilkey! :thumbs: Believe me Jeff, Ginseng knows what he is talking about. I bought from one source from "way down south" and the fakes I got looked like crap and, smoked like crap. Even I, with limited experience could spot them for what they were. Then, I went to a source "up north". These looked pretty nice, boxes and all. Did not smoke bad at all either. I always had that very slight doubt in the back of my mind though.

Then I found this place and my worst fears came true. All of the ones I bought from "up north" were counterfeits as well.
It was a hard swallow because the construction and taste were very close to the real thing. Well......in hindsight, the taste was way off. I found this out after unknowingly passing them in a bomb and trade. But, now I know better. :thumbs:
If Wilkey is offering to help you better take him up on it, he will get you a definite answer. As hard as it may be to hear a bad report, at least you will know. Then you can move on to more positive things armed with better knowledge.

Why have I never noticed this thread before and the woody-giving properties it posseses.

Thank you both!

And I am in total agreement, Wilkey, with your comment about supporting the wrong people even if the cigar is great for the money.

email sent
Jeff

I just had a friend tell me scored a 30th Anniv Cohiba that his cousin picked up in Jamaica. I told him unfortunately it probably wasn't real. He refuses to believe me. I sent him this thread and he said the band is spot on which of course means nothing. I told him to save a puff for me.